Images

Default West Cost Tour,, highlight suggestions!

Hi All! My friend & I turn 50 next year, and we're celebrating the milestone by planning a 10 day trip out west to visit Yosemite and other great sections on or near the PCT. We'll be flying into Sacramento, renting a car, and visiting must-see sights on the PCT between Yosemite and Mount Rainier. We'd like to hike some small sections as well,, no more than 1-2 nights each, 10-30 milers. So my question to those of you who've hiked the PCT, what sections of the trail should we not miss, that are relatively easy to get to by car, w/ a 1 to 2 day hike in? Thanks for any suggestions!

Also, we were planning either a September or early October trip. We'd rather not deal with super cold weather. Is October pushing the limits?
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Mammoth Lakes to Tuolumne might work for you. Take the shuttle to Red's Meadow, hike to Tuolumne Meadows, then take the YARTS shuttle back to Mammoth. September is the best time of year to be in the Sierra, IMO. October could be very cold at night.

It's not on the PCT, but you should spend a day at Mt. St. Helens.

I am also interested in some ideas you get here. My fiance & I are planning a mid-september 2 week trip out west after we get married
    We were looking at doing the high sierra trail to whitney portal and then hitting the coast and driving from LA to San Fran, but I get lost in the myriad of options.

You're going to need more time.
    National Parks on/near the coast:
    Redwoods
    Crater Lake
    Olympic
    On/near PCT:
    Lassen
    Crater Lake
    Washington State
    October? Mt. Rainier? Bring your woolies. Or not. Every day and every year is different.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I think that thru-hikers are actually not best equipped to answer this. We can tell you what parts we liked best, perhaps, but relating that to your logistics ...
    There are guidebooks that promise exactly what you're looking for, great hikes along the PCT. For example:
    http://www.mountaineersbooks.org/Hiking-the-Pacific-Crest-Trail-Washington-P1738.aspx

Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Getting into early Oct is pushing it in areas of the PCT in OR(on the cusp) and definitely so in WA. FWIW, as a PCT thru and Wonderland Tr thru the WT is much more scenic and comprehensive of a Mt Rainier NP trip than the PCT which only skirts Mt R NP. If you're locked into flying into Sac and 10 days stay close to the PCT in that area or you'd likely be spending more time driving around to all these PCT locations than actually hiking.

FWIW flying in /out of Sac for a 1o day west coast whirlwind in Oct of the PCT doesn't make for the most interesting PCT locations or logistics. Break it up and backtracking would be needed if SAC is your in and out but I'd suggest something around Lake Tahoe on the cojoined Tahoe Rim Trail/PCT and something south in Yosemite NP/Yosemite Valley. If getting deeper into Oct is the timeframe head west young man to San Fran for a hike from Haight Ashbury through Golden Gate Park to the Pacific Ocean, the 26 mile Skyline to the Sea Trail, and a stop at either Pt Reyes National Seashore for a overnight hike w/Pt Reyes Hostel stay from where you'll base camp from, and possibly a Big Sur or Redwoods Nat Park day hike. That's all you have time for. The drive up the Cali Coastal Hwy State Hwy 1 is an awesome drive with countless potential stops to take a stroll in itself. Drive back to Sac AP. Live for another day. Pinch yourself that you've done this in 10 days and haven't had a heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    I think that thru-hikers are actually not best equipped to answer this. We can tell you what parts we liked best, perhaps, but relating that to your logistics ...
    There are guidebooks that promise exactly what you're looking for, great hikes along the PCT. For example:
    http://www.mountaineersbooks.org/Hiking-the-Pacific-Crest-Trail-Washington-P1738.aspx

I generally agree with Gadget that this is the case. But some crazies, thru-hikers like myself, aren't hell bent on mega miles each day desiring vast experiences that add to LD backpacking experiences knowing that thru-hiking is not just about hiking the 30" wide single track immediately presented before us.

++ New Posts ++