WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Made big gear adjustments - anymore suggestions to shake weight?

Hi again, all..

Made some big changes to my kit over the past year, wondering if there are any other glaring things to cut or change. I do like some creature comfort and I'm not counting grams, but I certainly don't want to be carrying many extra ounces (or pounds!)

Here's what I've got going on:

custom pack: 2lbs (final weight tbd, this is a high estimate)
    Tent: BA Fly Creek UL2. 2lb 5oz (I often hike with a dog and prefer my gear inside, so I did actually size up from a UL1)
    Footprint 5oz
    Pad: BA Core Q. 1lb 2oz
    Sleeping Bag: zpacks 20 bag 1lb 1oz
    MSR Titan Kettle: 4oz
    Stove: Microrocket 3oz
    Gas: 6oz
    1st aid: 9oz (this I can trim down, just need to go through and pull some stuff out)
    Paracord: 2.5oz (50ft), 1.25oz (25 ft) - debating on length to carry
    Stuff & compression sacks ~ 3oz total
    Bladder/water treatment: 10oz (sawyer squeeze, aquaphina drops for backup)
    Pack cover: 4oz
    Rain jacket/pants 1lb 3oz (I don't always carry the pants unless rain is in the forecast or it's particularly chilly)
    Smartwool top/bottom 13oz (may be worn)
    xtra socks 3oz
    Headlamp 4oz
    Down jacket 12oz (may be worn)
    Kindle 6oz

Total: 207 oz = 12lb 15oz

Thanks for your input!

I should preface that my first aid kit also includes my hygiene stuff (hand sanitizer, lip balm, small sunscreen, fem hygiene products when needed, a few squares of viva paper towel [multi purpose], and migraine meds) and lighter, compass... all if it is tucked into the same waterproof ditty bag.

No pack liner? I never use a pack cover. Pretty impossible to keep your pack dry. You will want a base layer to sleep in, and, if its cold, one to hike in. One set can get wet when you wear it hiking, one set always stays dry.

nitpicky stuff, but it alrady looks like you have your kit dialed in.

Be sure and backflush that Sawyer with the syringe after every use!

Images

You didn't say where or when your hiking will occur. But this looks really good, so these are really minor observations as opposed to anything really in need of changing.

Is the paracord for bear bagging? It can be a real pain sometimes as it digs into the limb often gets bound. There are other options which make like much easier. In either event, carry 50'.

Like you said, 9 ounces for a solo first aid kit is on the high side. (with all the other items, this weight makes more sense)

As egilbe mentioned, pack covers are not optimal, go with a trash compactor bag for a liner.

Don't see a fleece cap or gloves? You can use spare socks for mitts, if they're dry.

The compass may or may not be needed, depending on where you are hiking.

Do you carry a smartphone on the trail? If so, install the Kindle app and leave the extra weight at home.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Be sure and backflush that Sawyer with the syringe after every use!
    And DON'T let it feeze!
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Journal Entries

You could potentially save two or three ounces by changing your lighting arrangements.

LED bulbs last much longer than their incandescent predecessors did, and the LEDs may also be somewhat more efficient. But, having stronger (and/or longer lasting) light inevitably means carrying more weight than would otherwise be required. Flashlights can be neat toys, but it is not possible, even spending lots of money, to produce extensive light without adding to one's pack weight. So, the question arises, how much light does a particular back country traveler really need?

I don't hike at night and manage to time my outdoor pooping so that it almost never occurs after nightfall. But, I find having a little bit of light available can sometimes be vary helpful for cooking supper or later locating items within my tent or beside me in a shelter. So, my headlamp is just a cheap one with LED bulbs powered by two little watch batteries. That headlamp is sold, with the batteries included, for $1. It weighs one ounce. I purchased several of those small wonders when they first appeared in Walmart's camping section last summer. Subsequently I've had no problems using one of those lights on a half dozen trips (about 16 nights).

Of course, eventually all batteries lose their charge. For me, flashlights' batteries (and also incandescent bulbs back during pre-LED times) have never gone out during during bright sunny days but instead always done so at inconvenient times on moonless nights. So, big spender that I am, I currently carry two of the aforementioned little lights, one to use and the other as a spare.
    Last edited by Siestita; 12-06-2016 at 07:15.

Thanks, all! In my mid-night perusing, I was able to find a Patagonia Alpine Houdini jacket on sale for 50%. So I was able to shave 5 oz off the above (check out mountainsteals.com right now , for women's sizes at least, though presumably men's would be on sale too) and retire of a rain jacket I don't love anyway.

Thanks for the sawyer tips. I've always used aquamira drops, but recently found a great deal on the filter to cut down on wait time before drinking which will maybe allow me to carry a little less water when I know it's available.

Duly noted on pack cover. I'll probably ditch it when the new pack comes anyway- I had used it with my osprey and actually didn't find it to be terrible except for in an 8hr long downpour, but I wouldn't expect it to perform at its best then anyways.

Re: the headlamp, I'll check out LEDs when this one bites the dust, thanks!

Re: fleece cap/gloves... seasonal, so I forgot to include them here, will note them accordingly. Good catch, thanks.

Re: Kindle. This is one of those luxury items I'm okay carrying. I hate reading off my phone screen for a long time. Would rather have it turned off and tucked away (honestly rarely even take it out for pictures... need to get over that though, it's been a point of contention with my gf... "you never take pictures of us..."

Re: Compass.. Probably don't need it. I hike mostly decently marked trails in the midwest. Like I mentioned, have ventured to the AT for a couple section hikes and a couple nat'l parks... all well-marked. Don't think I've ever actually looked at the the thing, just feels like something I "should" have.

Thanks again, all! Really appreciate the feedback!

Looks mostly good to me. You've covered the basics.

Lots of folks carry down jackets or vests. I prefer to carry a rugged, comfortable wool or synthetic flannel shirt instead. Old school but very versatile. Critical item, I never leave home without it. In town or on trail.

Stuff that tends to get lost in the accounting:

Camera. Repair and maintenance items: Small knife, tweezers, needle and thread, patch kit for inflatable pad. Spare bite valve for hydration system. A few feet of duct tape. A spare lighter or two. Personal-care items, "med kit", toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, comb. A light wallet or equivalent, to hold money, cards and personal ID items. Small paper pad and BIC pen for taking or leaving notes, exchanging addresses. Phone, charger, battery pack. (If you go that route, as most do.)

The med kit ends up being complicated all on its own, eg: Ibuprofen, Benadryl, Gold Bond, anti-itch ointment, DEET, reading glasses, etc. and subject to infinite variations. Nobody can tell you what to bring.

A cheap pair of hardware store safety glasses keep stray twigs and gnats out of your eyes. Better than a head net, IMO. $5 and less than an oz. The only problem is they scratch up and get lost easily and are tricky to store.

Always-dry base layer for camp & sleeping is a must, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post

Is the paracord for bear bagging? It can be a real pain sometimes as it digs into the limb often gets bound. There are other options which make like much easier. In either event, carry 50'.
    Does that mean you don't bear bag? What do you do instead? I'm looking at an ursack minor, but not sure if it's worth the $ or weight.

I use an Ursack major. Much easier tying to a tree and watching squirrels try to get into it is good evening entertainment. Never seen a bear hiking the AT, but all my hiking has been in new england where bears are hunted and they avoid people. Mice on the other hand, are horrid little vermin.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I use an Ursack major. Much easier tying to a tree and watching squirrels try to get into it is good evening entertainment. Never seen a bear hiking the AT, but all my hiking has been in new england where bears are hunted and they avoid people. Mice on the other hand, are horrid little vermin.
    Thanks. I have another thread going asking about zpacks food sack vs ursack. I wouldn't say I hate hanging a bear bag, but it's certainly not high on my list of favorite camp chores. The weight and shape of the zpacks sack (or comparable sack from another brand) is mighty tempting, but so is never having to toss a rock/cord over a branch... Perhaps those 5oz I just saved on rain gear would be well-allocated on an ursack...

Did you actually weigh all this stuff or go by published weights or just guess?

I have to wonder because the gas canister is listed as 6 oz which can't be accurate because even a 100g canister when full weighs more than 8 oz.

A decent scale can be had cheaply these days. Yes, you said you're not counting grams, but you're counting something ("Weight" in the thread title, "ultralight hikers forum") and you can't get a valid assessment without accurate numbers. The scale keeps you 'honest' and is a critical tool if you're serious about reducing pack weight.

And dovetailing with what Rafe said above, there's lots-n-lots of dinky stuff that is not listed, and all those little things add up as well. As an example, with your cook kit are you also planning to take a spoon, a drinking cup, a Bic lighter and a stuff sack? Those add up to a few ounces not accounted for.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Did you actually weigh all this stuff or go by published weights or just guess?

I have to wonder because the gas canister is listed as 6 oz which can't be accurate because even a 100g canister when full weighs more than 8 oz.

A decent scale can be had cheaply these days. Yes, you said you're not counting grams, but you're counting something ("Weight" in the thread title, "ultralight hikers forum") and you can't get a valid assessment without accurate numbers. The scale keeps you 'honest' and is a critical tool if you're serious about reducing pack weight.

And dovetailing with what Rafe said above, there's lots-n-lots of dinky stuff that is not listed, and all those little things add up as well. As an example, with your cook kit are you also planning to take a spoon, a drinking cup, a Bic lighter and a stuff sack? Those add up to a few ounces not accounted for.
    All valid points. Most are published weights.
    I'd say about half are my own before my scale broke.. I do plan on making all of my own measurements and updating the above numbers. Was more looking if there was anything grossly missing from my kit or that should be cut or massively improved upon. Most of my odds and ends are in my first aid kit (just because it's a convenient little ditty sack), so I'll have to separate all of that out and account for it at some point. I do need to find a spoon still, just have the collapsible plastic POS that came with a GSI kit from forever ago. Last count, all the stuff sacks I had were between 3-4 oz total, so I've at least got those accounted for.

Thanks again, you're right grams quickly add up to ounces, so when time allows this winter, I'll be going back through everything more accurately.

For the dozens of tiny items, just put 'em all together in a light stuff sack and weigh them that way. No need to tabulate each tiny item. A cheap digital kitchen scale will set you back $10 or so. Also useful is a fishing scale so you can weigh the whole kit, in the pack, ready to go.

I'd be happy to hit 13 lb. base weight. You're on the right track.

Garlic
    Images

Ditto the above, and you can save 5 oz by not bringing the footprint or a dropcloth.

Depending on where you camp, over a pound for a sleeping pad could be overkill. If you plan on sleeping on plank shelter floors, and/or you have a skeletal problem, it could be well worth it.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Ditto the above, and you can save 5 oz by not bringing the footprint or a dropcloth.

Depending on where you camp, over a pound for a sleeping pad could be overkill. If you plan on sleeping on plank shelter floors, and/or you have a skeletal problem, it could be well worth it.
    Agreed. Depending on the season and where I'm camping, I don't always bring it (the footprint). Nice to have the option though if it's someplace without soft ground cover.

Sadly, I have absolute garbage hips (dysplasia as a babe), so it took 3 pads to find one that I could comfortably sleep on- this pad was the winner and won't be cut from my gear.

Thanks for the foot print reminder though, good to have the reminder

No need to tabulate each tiny item.
    That's a good point. For my cook kit I put all the bits together and weigh the kit. All the individual items are the lightest ones that adequately serve their function (in my subjective opinion), so it's enough to know the total kit weight.

Images

Sounds like you're on it, well done! I agree on the lack of need for a footprint, though with a dog, that might change things a bit. maybe a small piece of Tyvek for IN the tent to protect the floor from the pooch-paws/nails? I used my BA fly creek sans-footprint for a half an AT and at least that many other nights in Colorado, my floor is still just fine (no holes or even bag wear spots). I've never, ever used a footprint on any of my tents over 50 years of backpacking, zero issues. Footprints are extraneous weight and cost, more marketing than anything else. If you MUST use one, get a sheet of polycro for 6 bucks and 2 ounces, cut to size.

Not to be too picky cmoulder, but the 100-ish gram canisters I've bought (some are 110 grams) are anywhere from 7 to 7.5 ounces, not over 8. But certainly greater than 6. Good point on falsely quoted weights. The only companies I've run into that were perfectly honest are ULA and zpacks. Even Big Agnes and Osprey fudge a tad low in their specs.

I personally like both a pack liner and pack cover, realizing that the pack cover isn't enough, though if you choose only one, the liner is better. I like the "first line" of protection, and it also keeps the pack fabric mostly dry, which saves the weight of the wet pack fabric. I did a test on my ULA OHM, and this amounted to 6 saved ounces on rainy days, at the cost of carrying a 1.5 cuben fiber pack cover all the time. trade-offs!

Finally, I only backflush my sawyer about once a week, I see no need to backflush more often. I don't even carry the syringe; I backflush by holding the filter backwards against a sink faucet (in towns) and let that pressure flush it out. Prepare to get a tad wet until you learn how to hold it tight enough....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++