WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by TSWisla View Post
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but can someone explain the pack liner idea to me? Is it as simple as putting a garbage bag in an empty backpack and then filling it up?
    The purpose is to put the things that "HAVE" to stay dry in the liner and everything else goes outside the liner. So quilt/bag, sleeping clothes, down puffy all go in the liner. Pack cover doesn't really help as the pack will still wet out from being strapped to your back.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    The purpose is to put the things that "HAVE" to stay dry in the liner and everything else goes outside the liner. So quilt/bag, sleeping clothes, down puffy all go in the liner. Pack cover doesn't really help as the pack will still wet out from being strapped to your back.
    Unless your pack is inherently waterproof. Like a ZPack...

A compactor bag is OK, but if you a have a few $$ to spend, look at a dry liner for your pack. I have STS E-vent bags as liners for our packs. They work great. If you have a few more $$ to spend, take a look at ZPacks rectangular pack liner.

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?...o2=6&o3=398-32

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/dry_bags.shtml#liner

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Unless your pack is inherently waterproof. Like a ZPack...

A compactor bag is OK, but if you a have a few $$ to spend, look at a dry liner for your pack. I have STS E-vent bags as liners for our packs. They work great. If you have a few more $$ to spend, take a look at ZPacks rectangular pack liner.

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?...o2=6&o3=398-32

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/dry_bags.shtml#liner
    Who has experience with a zpacks pack and no rain cover in the rain? Is it dry enough to go without a pack cover? Sleeping bag, dry clothes, and puffy would still go in Cuben or silnylon stuff sacks. That should be good, right?

Images

No rain cover for me since 2013 when I bought some Cuben hybrid from Joe to make my own. I did tape the seams just to be sure.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    No rain cover for me since 2013 when I bought some Cuben hybrid from Joe to make my own. I did tape the seams just to be sure.
    I got the Arc Haul last summer and it came from ZPacks with taped seams.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Who has experience with a zpacks pack and no rain cover in the rain? Is it dry enough to go without a pack cover? Sleeping bag, dry clothes, and puffy would still go in Cuben or silnylon stuff sacks. That should be good, right?
    ZPack Arc backpack is essentially a Cuben Fibre dry sack to begin with...

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml

If I had a ZPack, the only thing I would bother putting in a dry bag would be a sleeping bag...but that's me, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by TSWisla View Post
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but can someone explain the pack liner idea to me? Is it as simple as putting a garbage bag in an empty backpack and then filling it up?
    It helps if you can find unscented trash compactor bags. Safeway and Albertsons sell Safeway house brand unscented bags. They are very sturdy. A box of 10 is less than $5, I forget the exact price. Not a lot.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

This is what the Safeway box looks like.

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Use a thin light plastic bag for a liner, even with cuben pack

Several reasons

Holes happen.
    Things rub thru material.
    Seam taping peels up.

Condensation from temperature changes occurs inside pack.
    Air is humid before rain, cold rain cools pack, interior becomes wet.

Clothing and down needs to be in liner , air squeezed out, twisted up airtight basically to keep as dry a possible.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-08-2016 at 22:39.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Maybe not understood ZP hasn't always seam taped their packs so the answer depends on the yr of the ZP pack. With your stuff sacks and a newer ZP pack you should be OK but do understand if this is for the AT it can rain hard and for days at time.

With my Arc Blasts Hybrid CF that are seam taped I still may throw in a pack cover for items I don't want totally drenched I like to customarily store on the exterior. ALSO, on one of my ZP packs the seam tape has started to fail in a few places loosening up not doing the WR/WP job as originally intended that I had to adhesive back down on the seam. I had not realized the seam tape coming loose prior to one wk long hike that I experienced two days of rain and their was a more water getting into the pack as a result. Opinions will differ but the ZP hybrid CF seam taped packs I've used I don't recognize them as being absolute WP. I choose to see them as HIGHLY WR. For comparison and debate sake there are those that claim WP shoes aren't WP because umm that big ankle opening where the foot goes. Well then a backpack has an opening too yet we don't commonly hear a WP marketed backpack isn't WP for that same reason.

I haven't actually seen the Zpacks bear bag kit, but it sounds similar to the cord I use. Technora 950, which is .11" diameter and as the name suggests, has 950 lb rating. It is ptfe (teflon) coated, so it is slick enough to glide over branches and the knots untie easily.

Only down side I have found, which is a minor one, is that you have to tie a small knot in the ends or it will unravel. You can't burn it.

I carry mine wrapped around a small section of thin walled pvc pipe to for ease of storage without tangles - and perhaps the pvc will be useful for turning a trickle of water into a "piped" spring somewhere.

When I accidentally left my 50' of cord in a tree one morning, I had to make do with the 25' section I carry for clothesline / emergency use . I was able to bear bag the rest of the trip, but it greatly reduced the choices I had to hang my bag from. I would recommend 40 or 50 feet.

Here's what it looks like:

I have the zpacks bear bag and have used it for three years. It works great. Just keep away from mice and other varmits

Quote Originally Posted by lilbear View Post
    Re: Compass.. Probably don't need it.
    There's various takes on the ten essentials, but here's a basic one:

1. Map
    2. Compass (optionally supplemented with a GPS receiver)
    3. Sunglasses and sunscreen
    4. Extra clothing
    5. Headlamp (or flashlight)
    6. First-aid supplies
    7. Firestarter
    8. Matches
    9. Knife
    10. Extra food

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++