WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 6 day backpacking in February, no snow?

My friend and I are looking to take a backpacking trip at the end of february. We have about a week and would like to cover about 100 miles. We live in Vermont and have hiked the long trail. We want to go somewhere where there would be no snow, maybe florida or texas? While researching, it seems like there aren't many options. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Anna

Images

Maybe the southern part of the Continental Divide Trail or Pacific Crest Trail?
    Doubt it will be hot, but I don't think you'll see snow.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

There has been snow a foot deep as far south as Birmingham and Atlanta in March. So yea, if you want to plan NOW for a snowless trip in February, then you are going to have to plan for an extreme location such as along the Gulf Coast, or low elevations in the South West.

However, if all you are trying to avoid is snow (as apposed to below freezing temperatures), your choices will be much wider if you can post-pone your plans until the last minute.
    As an example, in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, it's possible for there to be snow on the mountain tops any month of the year but July and August. However, if you randomly pick a weekend in the middle of winter, the odds are that there will NOT be snow on the ground at even the highest elevations.

So if possible, you might want to pick a place of interest, and then when February rolls around, watch the weather forecast and head out the first week the weather looks good enough.

The first section of the Grand Enchantment Trail through the Superstitions near Phoenix is likely to be snow free then. It's desert hiking, very different from Vermont. There is water, but you'll need to carry more than you're used to. Trails are not marked well. See: http://spiriteaglehome.com/Journal2.html

The Ocala Forest Section of the Florida Trail is also a very nice 5-6 day winter backpack (about 69 miles). There are other nice trips on the FT but that is the only one I've done as other than a dayhike.

In Texas the Lone Star Trail is an option. The trails in Big Bend or Guadalupe aren't that long and they are very dry.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaBanana2 View Post
    My friend and I are looking to take a backpacking trip at the end of february. We have about a week and would like to cover about 100 miles. We live in Vermont and have hiked the long trail. We want to go somewhere where there would be no snow, maybe florida or texas? While researching, it seems like there aren't many options. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Anna
    Lone Star Hiking Trail in Sam Houston National Forest. 96 miles. Myself and my friend are doing it starting Sunday. 6 days due to camping restrictions (it's hunting season). We may have taken 7 days without the restrictions, maybe not. You may need a couple of water caches or not since you won't have the campsite restrictions we have to deal with. Depends also on water levels. If you do go, don't buy the book just use the website. They have a guide online. http://lonestartrail.org/
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

FT through ONF...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big bend national park?

Quote Originally Posted by hikeandbike5 View Post
    big bend national park?
    & Big Bend Ranch State Park next door.
    This has been a wet year. There is water where you need it.
    Big Bend Chat will help a lot.
    Or, the Foothills Trail. The Florida Trail. The Pinhoti Trail.
    All of this depends on your travel method. Good luck.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Some awesome suggestions. All I can add is that if you get on it you might get a permit for the Big Ditch.

Quote Originally Posted by Absarokanaut View Post
    Some awesome suggestions. All I can add is that if you get on it you might get a permit for the Big Ditch.
    I wouldn't make the Big Ditch my go to primary for Feb wanting no snow at the S Rim and extending to lower elevations. GCNP in Feb can be a full on winter experience at the S Rim and extremely likely at the N.Rim. Feb is a big precipitation month with much of it falling as snow.

If you wanted to be on the AT, there might not be much or any snow in the Shenandoah section
    - Young Blood | AT2015 | PCT2016 | CDT2017

As long as you don't mind walking down on snow, the bottom of the Grand Canyon/Big Ditch/whatever would be snow free and relatively warm and fun with few people.

Fly to New Zealand?
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

great time in late Feb early March to be on the Ozark Highlands Tr. Ice storms can happen so can snow but the snow usually isn't deep and quickly burns off. Several neat scenic sections without the tick issues with waterfalls, Buffalo Nat Scenic River, stone houses, escarpments. Combine a 7 day with a float trip.

Joshua Tree NP highest elevations can get some snow in late Feb but it's a maybe not a given.

You said no snow not no rain. Feb is a rainy month on the west coast but perhaps you could get fortunate and explore several areas along the west coast in late Feb - For Cali: Pt Reyes Nat Seashore, Skyline to Sea Tr(great overnighter! in Feb, pretty much all down hill), Big Sur, Redwood NPs/SP's, For Oregon: Boardman SP just north of the Cali/OR border is very scenic.

Another long drive is Big Bend NP but if you go there i'd suggest a 2 fer or 3 fer. Bag Carlsbad Caverns NP in NM and if weather agreeable summit Mt Guadalupe in Guadalupe NP.

7 days doesn't have to be all in one place.

Another 2 for for late feb would be a paddle or ferry over to Cumberland Island on the GA coast. camp on and hike the island and do a nearby Okefenokee swamp paddle by renting a canoe. Do a 3 day at Cumberland and a 3 day paddle at Okie. It would be warm weather without resorting to going all the way south to FL.

Another east coast hike without snow in late Feb would be the Mountains to Sea Tr in NC sticking to the more eastern segments that included the Neusiak Tr and possibly combined with a puddle of Neuse River. A MST thru includes alternate recognition alternate route for those that paddle the Neuse River. Late Feb is very good time to paddle the Neuse.

FWIW, if you can handle the cold and possible snow in late Feb at GCNP you can handle all these other options.

Being open to combining different locations like Cumberland Island or MST trail segments as suggested with an eye on secondary options depending on the weather of places like the Foothills Tr opens up more doors for you possibly at a cheaper cost since you're staying east coast. gets you out of the VT weather.

Another option I have for you is Congaree NP in Columbia SC. NO SNOW. Drive there, leave your car in downtown Columbia at the take out site, rent a canoe, get shuttled upstream(canoe providers also shuttle), camp on the river, camp in the NP after hiking the Boardwalk, River and King snake trails(the NP isn't thought of as a hiking destination but it should be as there are more than 30 miles of trails), LOTS of large specimen tress!, and float past the NP into Columbia. Bring your fishing license and fishing poles. Check on water levels before scheduling the trip. This makes for a grand 5-6 day hike paddle comb.

https://www.nps.gov/cong/planyourvisit/maps.htm

There's no snow in North Carolina on Christmas Day. That may not last.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++