WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    Images

I have a couple or three questions:

You should watch the press conference which is the second video down on the link below....

ranger clayton Jordan explains the path of the Fire and what they did to try to contain it....

https://www.google.com/amp/www.wbir....?client=safari

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    deciding innocence or guilt, is completely separate than discussion on what fitting punishment might be.

I have seen no one claim the kids are without a doubt guilty, or calling for backwoods justice.
    Discussion is centered around ramifications if they are. Most people can discern the difference without having to explicitly state it in every post.
    Except a few troublemakers just wanting to stir things up, and everyone can recognize them.
    i have no problem with a discussion of the appropriate punishment for whoever the guilty party turns out to be, and many of the posts are written in that way. Some of the posts, however, specifically mention the juveniles when discussing punishment....that is what I object to. Even the title of this thread presumes that the kids are guilty.

Images

Why weren't aircraft used to try to contain the fire?

they did.......

Images

I recall the earliest reports from the first that the worst damage was on opposite sides of downtown suggesting that there was more than one source of the major burn areas.

the winds (which were clock at near 90 mph) picked up embers and carried them across the ridge and down into town...

after that----well, I could explain it or if you watch the video I posted, ranger Jordan explains the path of the fire.....

a lot of the questions you have would can be answered if you do a little bit of research into it......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    the winds (which were clock at near 90 mph) picked up embers and carried them across the ridge and down into town...

after that----well, I could explain it or if you watch the video I posted, ranger Jordan explains the path of the fire.....

a lot of the questions you have would
    can be answered if you do a little bit of research into it......
    +1

They are called spot fires and it can cause the fire to travel almost as fast as the wind is blowing.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Thanks for the links. Thanks for the answers.
    I'm in NC now.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I went down there 8 days after the fire to check out my brother's rental chalet. It had survived, but I was absolutely amazed with the destruction there. It had rained about 2 inches prior to me getting down there, and rained the whole time I was there...but structures were STILL smoking.

The wind also knocked down power lines resulting in new fires

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by satchmo View Post
    The wind also knocked down power lines resulting in new fires
    That point was already touched on a few pages back. I'm sure that will be a major point of contention for the defence if the kids are ever put on trial for the deaths that occurred as a result of the fires.

Having just bought land in the area (Oct2016) and reading many reports of the fire; I see that the teens will most likely plee out on some arson charge and get their lives changed forever. I hope that they can get some guidance to move forward in the years to come to be a positive force in the world. Yes, they should face a punishment for the actions they made. Are they to blame for the deaths ? God, or whoever, will let them know in time. If they do get to walk free-ish in the next 5 to 10 yrs I hope that they are working to better the world around them and to help those in need.
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

NPS should have to answer a lot of questions. They are really bad about sweeping things under rug. This is probably too big for the rug.

NPS should have to answer a lot of questions. They are really bad about sweeping things under rug. This is probably too big for the rug.
    I'm not sure what questions you would have them answer they have not addressed in interviews and incident reports. Prosecution of arson is not theirs to make, though they can advocate for/against, thats the job of State or more likely Federal prosecutors.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I'm not sure what questions you would have them answer they have not addressed in interviews and incident reports. Prosecution of arson is not theirs to make, though they can advocate for/against, thats the job of State or more likely Federal prosecutors.
    Im a wildland firefighter, was in the are. They haven't answered all. There are independent investigations going on

Im a wildland firefighter, was in the are. They haven't answered all. There are independent investigations going on
    Which probably explains why they haven't answered "all" questions. Typically when an investigation is performed, no one says much until its concluded. Though what exactly are "independent" investigations? Is it County, State, Federal governments or is it lawyers seeking information for client actions?

http://wate.com/2017/02/02/fire-expe...re-in-smokies/ it will vary. Im sure the kids lawyers will also do some digging

Hit reply to quick the second story is about them locking down all info on the fires

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++