WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Sorry everyone but I couldn't resist posting this.

Attachment 37365

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I get it though its doubtful a "Big Mac" actually comes from a cow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haha true I guess I could have used a better example

GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I get it though its doubtful a "Big Mac" actually comes from a cow...

The bizzare truth is Big Macs don't come from "a cow" they come from many. Over the years groups have set big macs to labs for analysis and Often a single patty contains meat from several hundred to over a thousand individual cattle.

They are also delicious.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
    Also, as a chemist the cyanide textual overlay made me roll my eyes. Of course that is how cyanide kills mammals. The trope of the spy with the cyanide capsule tooth is well played out. The spy would experience the same.

But here is where I am confused: cyanide is a gas so in order to gas the possum, don't you also have to gas its clinging babies? Why suggest that they are living as that simply defeats credibility? Cyanide doesn't know it is supposed to only be inhaled by one animal out of a group. It isn't sentient. .......
    They are using baits with the poison 1080 (sodium fluoroacetate) not cyanide. Read about it here - http://www.doc.govt.nz/nature/pests-...-pest-control/ . 1080 baits were used for predator control (coyotes) here in the US but that has been stopped.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Side track again but another example of how cruel nature can be!

Yep...egret tried to eat the snake.....

egret with regret
    one spotted my goldfish Bob who was under a thick net and under tree ferns (like mini palms)
    the neighbour's cat (now my cat) spotted the bird and chased him out the yard and along the driveway , about 30 yards.
    very funny except that in a previous backyard another egret ate 13 of my goldfish over a period of two years. I suspected the local cats till I spotted the bird taking the one before the last (Bob..)

Side track again but another example of how cruel nature can be!

Yep...egret tried to eat the snake.....

i like it...a lot! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    In louisiana wildlife dept pays a bounty of $5 for each nutria tail. The large non native fur bearing rodents cause land loss by damaging levee and marsh banks with burrows and grazing. no ones too concerned about their pain.

Brought to raise for fur, they escaped and thrive in marsh. Absence of fur market today dont help the cause. Attempt to commercialize the meat largely failed too. Its a large rat for petes sake. So...pay people to kill them works
    Another story of narrow human centric human tinkering that went out of control because arrogant humanity fails to recognize a larger ecological whole. For all the patting on the backs the human species likes to constantly give ourselves no wonder the animal problem stories like the nutria often ignore the role of humans in making it occur. Just like the Golden brushy tail possums in NZ, mongoose in Hawaii, European rabbits in Australia, the nutria was another non endemic species brought to a place they din't naturally occur - N America - for narrow minded human centric reasons...the fur trade.

The bald eagle recovery - a success story of what humanity is capable of when they recognize a larger ecological whole by honestly considering and then changing their behavior.

We like to see the Bald Eagle as a majestic, proud, strong, courageous, bold, confident, attractive symbol with a pure white adult plumage atop its head and at it's tail....until you regularly see 4 of them at the Lee County FL Dump dirty, greasy, bloody, pecked at and hen bit, cowering, missing feathers relegated to being another scavenger eating garbage that is picked on and tormented by the larger stronger sea gulls also scavenging for scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    We like to see the Bald Eagle as a majestic, proud, strong, courageous, bold, confident, attractive symbol with a pure white adult plumage atop its head and at it's tail....until you regularly see 4 of them at the Lee County FL Dump dirty, greasy, bloody, pecked at and hen bit, cowering, missing feathers relegated to being another scavenger eating garbage that is picked on and tormented by the larger stronger sea gulls also scavenging for scraps.
    Yep been to the dump many times to get them...sad but no different than the bears at the dumps....they are scavengers and will eat about anything....

Up for grabs......

Yes it died from old age....

I came home from a backpacking trip in 2008 and found a dead possum who got his teeth hung up in a suet bird feeder---with mighty Shunka looking on---Oops.

fd8bae8b82e3d011e82099b85465a806c7a2f2bb924863d3389b8ec67f80a798.jpg
    iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiii
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I came home from a backpacking trip in 2008 and found a dead possum who got his teeth hung up in a suet bird feeder---with mighty Shunka looking on---Oops.

That bird feeder is now a buzzard feeder...the nastiest sight and smell was a pair of coons that got inside a crab trap at low tide and got stuck...they drowned and took weeks to find the smell....only stunk at low tide....I can still taste it.....

Is fly ash ethical from a process plant at spews toxins into the air so we can have all sorts of things? Electronic devices, rubber, chemical compounds that make just about everything in society...etc, etc.

Wow, I am so disappointed at the level of intelligence displayed in this thread!

It is clear that the video depicts a cruel act. The rest is justification. You may call it necessary, you may defend it in the name of ecology or whatever, but you cannot deny that the act itself is cruel. If you don't find it cruel it is because your moral compass is broken - plain as daylight.

And for those of you spouting about ethics, how about the simple "do unto others?" Place yourself in the paws of the possum. Would you like to have somebody hammer your brain into oblivion? No, really, would you?!

Something stinks to high heaven, when such bestial and inhuman behavior is accepted with such a cavalier attitude and commented on with such callousness!

-

reminds me of a riddle -

Q: how many rednecks does it take to eat a possum?

A: two, one to do the eating and the other to stop traffic

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gravitino View Post
    Wow, I am so disappointed at the level of intelligence displayed in this thread!

It is clear that the video depicts a cruel act. The rest is justification. You may call it necessary, you may defend it in the name of ecology or whatever, but you cannot deny that the act itself is cruel. If you don't find it cruel it is because your moral compass is broken - plain as daylight.

And for those of you spouting about ethics, how about the simple "do unto others?" Place yourself in the paws of the possum. Would you like to have somebody hammer your brain into oblivion? No, really, would you?!

Something stinks to high heaven, when such bestial and inhuman behavior is accepted with such a cavalier attitude and commented on with such callousness!
    Be still my heart...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by gravitino View Post

which is exactly why I didn't watch it, but if someone wants to take a possum for gloves, then that's on them to decide the ethics, not some clown college fourm.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++