WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I believe that big Pharma should be made accountable and made to pay for the damages done by the opioid epidemic which they created. However, I doubt there are many hikers who are oxi addicts.

OTOH, OTC pain killers are probably over used by long distance hikers. Some take the max recommend daily dosage or more every day.

Personally, I try to limit my use of them and stick to plain old Aspirin. As a 60+ year old hiker, it's probably good for me too. I find it's more effective taken in the morning rather then in the evening after the fact. In the evening, a couple tokes of a certain potent herb is very helpful.

I find after the first week or so my need to take OTC pain killers diminishes significantly, unless it was a particularly difficult day.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by lyagooshka View Post
    And blaming "Big Pharma" is also pretty ridiculous.
    They do not force anyone to buy/take anything.

Just my $0.02.
    "Big Pharma" may not force anyone to buy/take anything, but their aggressive marketing, down playing the risks, bribes and kickbacks to doctors to entice them to over prescribe their products ( the Opioids are a recent example) makes them culpable. When your doctor tells you that you need to take these pills and lots of them, you tend to believe your doctor.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    ...but their aggressive marketing, down playing the risks, bribes...
    Which can be said of ANY industry from fast food to alcohol to cigarettes to gadgets on the AT (although then you'd call it a 'sponsorship' and not a bribe".
    ...kickbacks to doctors to entice them to over prescribe their products...
    That is just plain wrong.
    No matter what propaganda you hear, this is just a lie.
    When a pharmaceutical rep take a Dr. out to dinner, it's not to get them to OVER prescribe ANYTHING.
    There are strict guidelines to follow, and any deviation is usually investigated.
    That's how doctors lose their licenses.
    When big pharma woos doctors, it's to prescribe their beta blocker over their competition's.
    Yes, opioids are abused.
    But no Dr. would write for 4X as much as the standard dose is.
    What happens is a patient lies about pain, gets a scrip, and then sells the pills.
    That's how people wind up with several times the amount (or they are through their 1 month supply on day 2).
    Again, just my $0.02, and FYI, I do NOT work for any drug company, though I do work in healthcare.

I think Dogwood has an "exaggerated sense of well being" ...take a holiday dude.

Quote Originally Posted by lyagooshka View Post
    Which can be said of ANY industry from fast food to alcohol to cigarettes to gadgets on the AT (although then you'd call it a 'sponsorship' and not a bribe".

That is just plain wrong.
    No matter what propaganda you hear, this is just a lie.
    When a pharmaceutical rep take a Dr. out to dinner, it's not to get them to OVER prescribe ANYTHING.
    There are strict guidelines to follow, and any deviation is usually investigated.
    That's how doctors lose their licenses.
    When big pharma woos doctors, it's to prescribe their beta blocker over their competition's.
    Yes, opioids are abused.
    But no Dr. would write for 4X as much as the standard dose is.
    What happens is a patient lies about pain, gets a scrip, and then sells the pills.
    That's how people wind up with several times the amount (or they are through their 1 month supply on day 2).
    Again, just my $0.02, and FYI, I do NOT work for any drug company, though I do work in healthcare.
    I suspect he meant over prescribe as when the drug is borderline necessary, when a minor lifestyle change might suffice instead.

I have supraventricular tachycardia. My doctor wanted to put me on medication for the rest of my life, or surgery. As I was leaving the office all bummed out, the nurse told me about the vagal maneuver, an action used to slow down the heart rate by stimulating the vagus nerve.

I can't speak as to the doctor's reasoning of course, maybe he was hoping for the expensive surgery?

"Big Pharma" may not force anyone to buy/take anything, but their aggressive marketing, down playing the risks, bribes and kickbacks to doctors to entice them to over prescribe their products ( the Opioids are a recent example) makes them culpable. When your doctor tells you that you need to take these pills and lots of them, you tend to believe your doctor.
    My daughter is an ER doc at Einstein Hospital, Philadelphia (transferring to Saint Anthony's, Denver, in August). I've never once heard her say that she or any of her colleagues have been bribed, enticed to over prescribe, aggressively marketed, or received kickbacks from any drug sales rep. I've never once seen or heard of her consulting an advertisement for any information on any pharmaceutical product whatsoever. Have I missed something? Is it all a part of The Big Cover-Up that only a select few non physicians know about?

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    My daughter is an ER doc at Einstein Hospital, Philadelphia (transferring to Saint Anthony's, Denver, in August). I've never once heard her say that she or any of her colleagues have been bribed, enticed to over prescribe, aggressively marketed, or received kickbacks from any drug sales rep. I've never once seen or heard of her consulting an advertisement for any information on any pharmaceutical product whatsoever. Have I missed something? Is it all a part of The Big Cover-Up that only a select few non physicians know about?
    There have been a lot of legislative proposals and laws enacted within the last six years. I'm suspect we're looking at different eras of the sales rep. My ex's dad was a sales rep back in the day. He spent a whole lot of the companies money on golf, dinners, event tickets and whatnot.

This thread was created with the intent to assist those who wish to hike and live a sober life and avoid environments with drug use and abuse and those abusing drugs defining sober life as being sober not just from alcohol, tobacco, illicit street drugs, but also after honest soul searching factoring in the potential destructiveness and abuse of pharmaceutical industry, prescription and OTC pain killers, analgesics, and NSAIDS.

As we post our opinions I ask the content be sensitive to those who seek to enjoy life without using and abusing ALL forms of drugs.

Again, this is in response to several recent threads where OP's expressed concern for sobriety on their hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    This thread was created with the intent to assist those who wish to hike and live a sober life and avoid environments with drug use and abuse and those abusing drugs defining sober life as being sober not just from alcohol, tobacco, illicit street drugs, but also after honest soul searching factoring in the potential destructiveness and abuse of pharmaceutical industry, prescription and OTC pain killers, analgesics, and NSAIDS.

As we post our opinions I ask the content be sensitive to those who seek to enjoy life without using and abusing ALL forms of drugs.

Again, this is in response to several recent threads where OP's expressed concern for sobriety on their hikes.
    So, it's a thread for people who define sobriety in a very specific and unusual way. Got it.

My name is Puddlefish, and I've been sober from Ibuprofen for two months now...

Journal Entries

Default Opiods and pain management

[QUOTE=Puddlefish;2110746]There have been a lot of legislative proposals and laws enacted within the last six years. I'm suspect we're looking at different eras of the sales rep. My ex's dad was a sales rep back in the day. He spent a whole lot of the companies money on golf, dinners, event tickets and whatnot.[/QUOTEI

I am in the pain management business. Newly enacted legislation makes it illegal to buy, provide, lavish outings, meals or gifts to any healthcare practitioner. The old days of bribing decision makers are over
    Americans in general, are used to dealing with unpleasantness with the flip of a switch, push a button or take a pill. I am not referring to those with Chronic pain. This cultural behavior has unfortunately put pressures on the healthcare industry. Yes, Opiod use in the US has reached epidemic proportions.
    1 in 5 people using prescribed//non-prescribed opiods have become addicted-this is a serious problem. 80% of patients who experience postoperative pain report experiencing moderate to severe pain. Many clinicians are looking for alternatives to reduce opiod consumption such as non-narcotic cocktails to the use of pain pumps, that infuse smaller amounts of drugs locally and not systemically into the surgical wound or nerve branch.

Like you said, this is in Straight Forward...but what is the question?

Closed again folks. Reminder about the Terms of Service
    Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts, or involving the use, production and/or distribution of illegal drugs are forbidden.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++