WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Franklin into Fontana.

Hiked from Springer to Franklin this past summer and plan on starting where I left off this upcoming summer. Not sure where my end destination would be this year, but at the very least I'd like to get to Fontana. With that being said I need to start making plans and arrangements. I know everyone's hands are tied because this particular section has been closed for the most part, but if any of you have, will, or are planning on scouting out the trail anytime soon once things open up, PLEASE feel free to update us. If any of you live near the higher elevations or The trail itself your Info would be very helpful also. Thanks!

Journal Entries

How much planning you need for 56 miles?
    Get a shuttle lined up a week before, and start walking with 2-3 days food will do it.

Dont need bkfast first day , dinner last and NOC is good for a meal or 2. Resupply there and carry 1+ days food

The trail will be fine (relatively speaking) by that time
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-09-2016 at 13:28.

If you want a short 8 mile day 1 siler bald is a great camp spot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Relatively Speaking" I like to have an idea in my head. That's all.

To clarify I was inquiring about the status of the Trail in this section. Obviously due to the fires.

Quote Originally Posted by troubletrev View Post
    To clarify I was inquiring about the status of the Trail in this section. Obviously due to the fires.
    I hope somebody who has been on that section can give you an update....

There are planning advantages to doing a 180 mile section hike from Franklin (56 miles south of GSMNP) to Allen Gap (51 miles north of GSMNP), if you hope to continue working your way north continuously on the AT. Great Smoky Mountains National Park considers you to be eligible for a "thru-hiker" permit if you start your hike at least 50 miles before their park and continue on for at least 50 miles after the park. That thru-hiker permit gives you 8 days to hike through the park on the AT and allows you to overnight at any shelter you choose any of those nights. Otherwise, when you get around to hiking GSMNP you would have to make reservations for specific shelters for specific nights, and this can be a hassle. That's something you might want to think about. I did that hike from Franklin to Allen Gap in 2015 and really enjoyed it.

By the way, the AT is now entirely open in that section you are asking about (Franklin to Fontana). Dick's Creek Gap to Mooney Gap, south of where you are asking about, is all that is closed as of now. (edit: as of 12/12 all sections of the AT in the south are now open)
    Last edited by map man; 12-12-2016 at 19:50.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

With all the issues you have with shelters, fires and trail closures why not skip the area till your next hike....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like troubletrev, I also hiked Springer to Winding Stair Gap. I was thinking for my next section to hike Winding Stair Gap to Standing Bear. So, question to map man: why are you recommending to continue to And end at Allen Gap?
    Trillium

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    Like troubletrev, I also hiked Springer to Winding Stair Gap. I was thinking for my next section to hike Winding Stair Gap to Standing Bear. So, question to map man: why are you recommending to continue to and end at Allen Gap?
    oops, just reread map man's post and now understand that to qualify for the thru-hiker permit, you need to hike 50 miles past GSMNP.
    Trillium

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home.../trail-updates

looks like you have already completed the section that's closed... so..
    see the NC section and then down the page for updates on GSMP and beyond..

Great Smoky Mountains National Park

A.T. has re-opened; road and shelter closures persist (due to wildfire)
    (12/03/16) Great Smoky Mountains National Park officials have ​re-opened the A.T. within the Park. US 441 (Newfound Gap Rd.; mile 207.1 north of Springer Mtn.) remains closed so there will be no opportunity to resupply or access Cherokee or Gatlinburg. The Mt. Collins Shelter remains closed.

Campfire bans are in effect along the A.T. in Great Smoky Mountains National Park
    (11/​21/16 - Present) Due to extremely dry conditions and high fire danger campfire ​bans are in place until further notice in the following location:
    Great Smoky Mountains National Park (A.T. in North Carolina and Tennessee)
    Backpacking stoves are allowed; use extreme caution.
    Water source update
    (11/15/16) Info on the status of water sources in the Smokies:
    Double Spring Gap shelter: DryDry
    Pecks Corner shelter: Dry
    Birch Spring Gap tentsites (113): Dry
    Mollies Ridge Shelter: Dry
    Spence Field Shelter: Dry Spring--follow Eagle Creek Trail down to a small creek for water
    Russell Field Shelter: Dry
    Silers Bald Shelter: Dry
    Shelters in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Bear activity and closures
    (9-09-16 - Present) Bear activity has been reported at various shelters in the park. Hikers must use the food storage cables provided at all backcountry campsites in the park. Occasionally shelters are closed when bear activity becomes especially problematic.
    These shelters are currently closed: N/A

These shelters require caution due to bear activity:
    Birch Spring Gap Campsite (113)

Backcountry Permit Fees
    (2/1/13 - Present) As ofFebruary, 2013, a backcountry permit must be obtained for overnight stays before entering the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and a $4 per person fee will be required for each night in the backcountry. Backcountry permits can be obtained up to 30 days in advance. Hikers who meet the definition of an Appalachian Trail thru-hiker (those who begin and end their hike at least 50 miles outside the park and only travel on the A.T. in the park) are eligible for a thru-hiker permit of $20 (valid for 38 days from the date issued for an up to 8 day hike through the Park). Permits are available at www.smokiespermits.nps.gov. You may also obtain a permit in person at the park’s Backcountry Office (at the Sugarlands Visitor Center near Gatlinburg, TN) or over the phone; with permits issued by fax, mail or email. Hikers staying overnight in the backcountry are required to have a printed copy of the permit.
    For more information, visit www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/backcountry-camping.htm or call (865) 436-1297.

Davenport Gap (Tenn. 32/N.C. 284,eastern boundary of Great Smoky Mountains National Park) – Vehicle break-ins and car thefts
    (1/3/16 - Present) Do not park overnight: This location has a history of vandalism with car thefts reported as recently as 1-3-16. Park at Big Creek Ranger Station in seasons when rangers are present.
    For a full list of road and facility closures and warnings throughout the park, click here. Weather-related road and facility closures may change throughout the day. For updated road and weather information please call (865) 436-1200. Once you hear a voice, dial extension 631 for road information or extension 630 for a weather forecast. Click here for more information about bears in the backcountry.

North Carolina & Tennessee Border

Campfire ban along the A.T. in North Carolina; Tennessee burn ban is still active
    (12/​07/16) The campfire ban has been lifted along the A.T. in the North Carolina; However, the burn ban is still active on the Cherokee NF in Tennessee.
    Water source update
    (10/​28/16) Info on the status of water sources in NC/TN border:
    Hogback Ridge shelter: reported dry
    Bradley Gap spring: reported dry
    Yellow Mtn Gap/Overmountain shelter: reported dry
    Whistling Gap campsite: reported dry
    Jones Meadow spring (2.1 miles north of Little Laurel shelter): reported dry
    Allen Gap spring: reported dry
    Hurricane Gap (spring .4 south of Hurricane gap): reported dry
    Rich Mountain Lookout Tower: reported dry
    Roundtop Ridge Trail (1.9 miles north of Tanyard Gap): reported dry
    Lovers Leap Rock/Silvermine Trail: reported dry
    Walnut Mountain shelter: reported dry
    Appalachian Trail has re-opened from Hot Springs to Allen Gap
    (5/2/16) The A.T. is open from Hot Springs (approx. mile 273.7 from Springer) to Allen Gap (mile 288.4). It was previously closed due to the aftermath of the Silver Mine wildfire.

Emergency trail closure (due to wildfires) from Dicks Creek Gap, GA, to Deep Gap (USFS 71), NC
    (12/10/16) The A.T. is now closed from Dicks Creek Gap/U.S. 76 in Georgia (mile 69.9) to Deep Gap USFS 71 (mile 85.4) in North Carolina. Previously, the closure extended to the Nantahala River US19/US74—mile 137.1, and more recently had been opened as far south as Mooney Gap. Be aware that not all closure signs in re-opened areas have been removed.

++ New Posts ++