WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Good thing I'm testing out equipment

I have worn my new pair of Merrell boots 2 straight weeks on a job that requires "safety" boots. I love these boots except they hurt my right big toe. I'm just going to do my thru hike in ordinary running shoes. Another 100 + dollars wasted. Other testing that have had somewhat positive results; tent (test in rain next), sleeping bag (zipper snags a little), and MSR pocket rocket (really love this). Will be testing out my PCT style food hanging skills soon and still need to try my mini sawyer. What is so disappointing is struggling to raise funds for hike and making bad purchases. I did research and Merrell is a good boot. How would I know until I wore them that they would hurt a toe. They will be fine for short day hikes, but not a thru hike. Oh well, live and learn.

Journal Entries

Safety shoes means steel toes basically, although there are composite.

Checking out footwear well beforehand is smart. I seen people with horrible feet before even got out GA. Having to get off trail at hiawasee and rest them, etc.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-10-2016 at 11:47.

Buy from REI? Return.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

You will go thru 4 to 6 pair of shoes on the trail

My feet are almost a full size different. That means I never find a pair of boots which fit both feet properly and have to compromise.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Buy from REI? Return.....

Amen Brother! I bought shoes from REI last February. I finally got around to using them for a backpacking trip in September. When I get home I noticed a slightly darkened nail on two toes. I boxed up the shoes and exchanged them for a new pair a half size larger.
    REI or LL Bean are my vendors of choice for anything that must fit or last in real world situations.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Order through REI Garage www.rei.com/rei-garage . They have a fairly liberal return policy.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

My 22 year old Lange ski boots (bought at an REI "garage sale") are feeling a bit gnarly. I wonder if I should return them?

j/k. I know for a fact that the return policy at my local REI is not unconditional.

Shoes and boots are tough. That's why you need to be super fussy about trying them on, and breaking them in. Don't expect much lifetime from modern fabric boots, though. You'll most likely wear out a few pair getting from Georgia to Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    My 22 year old Lange ski boots (bought at an REI "garage sale") are feeling a bit gnarly. I wonder if I should return them?

j/k. I know for a fact that the return policy at my local REI is not unconditional.

Shoes and boots are tough. That's why you need to be super fussy about trying them on, and breaking them in. Don't expect much lifetime from modern fabric boots, though. You'll most likely wear out a few pair getting from Georgia to Maine.
    Yeah the garage sales out here are mostly made up of shoes and boots. Some look like they have done the AT twice and the tag says "don't fit". REI has very high margins that allow them to offer a pretty liberal return/customer sat policy. Because of that, it's a good store to buy footwear.

Images

REI Garage Sale is the name of their online shopping site not their occasional "garage sale " events of used gear.
    All items are new and share the same return policy as a mortar & brick purchase.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireplug View Post
    You will go thru 4 to 6 pair of shoes on the trail
    What does that have to do with making sure that you have the correct shoes before starting?
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    What does that have to do with making sure that you have the correct shoes before starting?
    Wayne

Assume he was referring to $$$....as op said it's tight..

I've carried my last couple of pairs of boots into my office and put them on once I was inside. That way I can wear them all day and return them as new if they don't fit.

Actually, modern all-leather boots won't last a full thru-hike either. I'm hard on shoes, but my last pair of Vasques aren't going to get through a third hiking season--at roughly 250 miles a year.

"I did research and Merrill is a good boot"

Whenever I hear a statement like this I think too much faith is placed in brand name recognition. I think footwear is especially tricky in this regard. Forget the brand and look for what works for you. A good return policy can really help. And sometimes you lose a few bucks in the process It sucks losing money on gear you expect to be perfect . But even worse to have that gear suck on the trail.

So yes. A very good thing you are testing out equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    I've carried my last couple of pairs of boots into my office and put them on once I was inside. That way I can wear them all day and return them as new if they don't fit.

Actually, modern all-leather boots won't last a full thru-hike either. I'm hard on shoes, but my last pair of Vasques aren't going to get through a third hiking season--at roughly 250 miles a year.
    Last pair I wore for about 180 miles in Co then returned...I'm glad someone is considerate....I agree with you...don't abuse the policy....mine failed after less than 20 miles in on a trip....

yep REI has one of the best return policies. LL Bean, not quite as good as it used to be IMO
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

I don't know if this works for everyone, but I buy my hiking shoes 1/2 size larger than my daily wear or even my running shoes. Since I started doing that I don't get nearly as many destroyed toenails.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    I don't know if this works for everyone, but I buy my hiking shoes 1/2 size larger than my daily wear or even my running shoes. Since I started doing that I don't get nearly as many destroyed toenails.
    +1...I go a whole size larger

If they are fine for a day hike... You may want to watch You Tube video's are variations for Lacing the boots. It could be a problem with one foot being slightly larger and "sliding" forward into the toe box. Lacing may stop this slide by locking the foot to the boot and heel. I love Merrills but Lace each boot differently because I get a great fit with one foot but the other is slightly bigger. When I bought Salamon Trail Runners, I would get one or the other to be a better fit; but never both at the same time. I ended up fitting the larger one and pulling tighter on the Cinch Lacing because they can't be changed like the Merrills can. Don't give up just yet, work with the Lacing.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Here is a trick that might help you in the future when your hiking boots/shoes rub or press on the outside edge of your big toe or on the outside edge of you little toe. Remove the laces. Now re-lace them and leave out that bottom X or bottom cross-over and just run the lace around the bottom so it removes some of the pressure on the outside edge of your feet. This does not work for everyone but it frequently does work, give it a try.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++