WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Amicalola to Bly Gap.

I'm thinking that I won't be doing a thru this year. Secondary plans are to take Spring Break week off and hike the GA section. My calcs indicate that's about 80 or 90 miles.

I'd like to hit Bly Gap for sure. What is a good stop point, and how's the best way to get back to Amicalola? I will have from Saturday March 11 until Sunday March 19 to hike and travel.

Thoughts? I imagine the trail will be well populated this time of year, so I won't say "anyone want to go" but you know... knowing who'll be there then would be cool.

Thanks!
    Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSweetie
    I'm thinking that I won't be doing a thru this year. Secondary plans are to take Spring Break week off and hike the GA section. My calcs indicate that's about 80 or 90 miles.

I'd like to hit Bly Gap for sure. What is a good stop point, and how's the best way to get back to Amicalola? I will have from Saturday March 11 until Sunday March 19 to hike and travel.

Thoughts? I imagine the trail will be well populated this time of year, so I won't say "anyone want to go" but you know... knowing who'll be there then would be cool. Thanks!
    When I've done the GA section, and I've only done it SOBO, I spent most of the first day leaving home and arranging the shuttle. Eventually I (...or we...) started at Dick's Creek, cached most of our food there in a bear bag hung away from the parking lot, and just carried a day's worth of meals to Old Orchard shelter for the night. The next morning we day-hiked to Bly Gap and back, picked up packs from the shelter and walked back to Dick's Creek, retrieved stashed supplies then continued southward. Once we left an auto at Neels Gap for a mid-week run to Helen for the night, then continued to Amicalola where a phone call got my wife to pick me / us up and retrieve the car at Neels. Once we left a car at Amicalola. Another time I think we left cars at both...

Sobo that time of year is fun...you meet so many people!
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSweetie

Thanks!

I just started sectioning in GA. Springer to Deep Gap NC (both have nice gravel lots right on the trail) is about 83 miles. Amicalola will add on more. Be glad to help.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I did the Amicalola to Deep Gap, NC section in April 2004 in six hiking days, camping at Hickory Flatts Cemetery (12), Ramrock Mountain (12), Neels Gap (12), Blue Mountain (18), and Dicks Creek Gap (18), walking down Kimsey Creek Trail to Standing Indian Campground (15+4). There is a Forest Service Road intersecting with US-64 that runs up to Deep Gap, with a parking lot for 4-6 cars (additional parking can be found down the road if needed).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

In October I did the Georgia section again. A friend of mine followed me to Dicks Creek Gap where I dropped off my car. He then took me to Amicolola. I hiked to Bly Gap and then back to my car at Dicks Creek Gap. It was a good 7 day backpack for me. Sure enjoyed it. My days were:
    Day 1 Amicalola to Springer
    Day 2 Springer to Gooch Mountain Shelter
    Day 3 Gooch Shelter to Woods Hole Shelter
    Day 4 Woods Hole to Low Gap Shelter
    Day 5 Low Gap to Tray Mountain Shelter
    Day 6 Tray to Plumorchard Shelter
    Day 7 Plumorchard to Bly Gap and return to car at Dicks Creek Gap

Enjoy the week
    Scorpion GA ME 04

Images

Last I heard, Deep Gap Rd. was passable, but kinda sketchy (before winter weather, even). Anyone know any details on it?

Images

i was up there a month or so ago. road was alright. passable by just about anything with a little ground clearance.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice
    and just carried a day's worth of meals to Old Orchard shelter for the night.
    I believe you meant to say Plumorchard shelter, Dances. Not being nitpicky; I know you know the trail and I didn't want anyone unfamiliar with that section to get confused.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer
    I believe you meant to say Plumorchard shelter, Dances. Not being nitpicky; I know you know the trail and I didn't want anyone unfamiliar with that section to get confused.
    Yeh, I don't know what my mental block is about that place. That's twice I've called it "Old Orchard."
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice
    Yeh, I don't know what my mental block is about that place. That's twice I've called it "Old Orchard."
    Forget about it. FWIW I haven't found any plums there either. Nice shelter as shelters go though.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

GAME 2000
    Images

This is a link to a post I put together about the Georgia section a couple of years ago, I think it is still relevent: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...hike#post42397 .

Thanks, you guys are being great helps! Thanks!
    Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

++ New Posts ++