WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Buena Vista lodging?

I read that three Springs hostel is defunct. Anybody with suggestions for lodging there? I was last there in 2000.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Here's one idea

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._Virginia.html

Notice that I referred to this as an "idea" and not a "suggestion."

I've not stayed here, but here's another idea:
    http://www.virginia.org/Listings/Pla...arkCampground/

I stayed at three springs so not sure about BV, but Glascow is another option that many go with instead of BV. They have a hiker shelter that's free and has showers and a laundromat across the street. It's likely a bit easier to get a ride into glascow as well. Small grocery store, post office, restaurant & dollar general right there as well

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    I stayed at three springs so not sure about BV, but Glascow is another option that many go with instead of BV. They have a hiker shelter that's free and has showers and a laundromat across the street. It's likely a bit easier to get a ride into glascow as well. Small grocery store, post office, restaurant & dollar general right there as well
    Goodidea.Thanks.

Images

Hi Bob,
    I was in BV for a few days this past spring. I stayed at the Buena Vista Motel. Was not the Ritz by any means but was ok and didn't break the bank. Visitor center is right up the street and they have a list of available local shuttles if you need a ride.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

I stayed at the Buena Vista motel once. Typical motel. I hear the Budget inn is a dump. Either one, it's a long walk to the Food Lion, a mile out of town and up a hill.

On my trip through there last year, I bumped into a section hiker with a car heading to Glassglow at the US60 parking lot, so I opted to go directly there instead of BV which worked out well.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    I read that three Springs hostel is defunct. Anybody with suggestions for lodging there? I was last there in 2000.
    I believe they are just closed for winter. When are you planning on being in this area?

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    I believe they are just closed for winter.
    Here is what it says on the Three Springs web site right now:

"11/11/2016 - SOBO Season is almost over for us here at Three Springs, We close November 15th 2016. This season was slow as we didn't see very many SOBO's here on the farm. We close with some remorse as we will not be open for the 2017 NOBO Season. We will be concentrating our time and effor on repairs that we could not get done during the summer. We may be adding chickens and a dog to our farm next year and we have a lot of work to prepare for their arrival. Unfortunately due to time constraints we will not be providing any services to the 2017 NOBO Season and will post information here on our progress as we go along."

So they are closed for winter and through the 2017 NOBO hiking season as of now.
    Last edited by map man; 12-22-2016 at 09:10.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    I believe they are just closed for winter. When are you planning on being in this area?
    I would be SOBO from HF and expect to get there mid June or so. I guess that's still NOBO season?

I would be SOBO from HF and expect to get there mid June or so. I guess that's still NOBO season?
    From what Map Man quoted, I'd guess they'd be closed most of the summer.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The last information I got, neither motel in BV is much to brag about anymore. If you would rather stay at one of the chain hotels in Lexington, I would be glad to shuttle you. I will pm you with my phone # if you are interested.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

++ New Posts ++