WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Default What non-essential item do you continue to carry ?

No matter what the rational is for leaving it at home you keep packing it. A book , playing cards , gear that seems necessary.

For me, I always strap to my backpack a 3/4 ThermaRest that sometimes is used to sit on after it rains, maybe relax on at an overlook, etc.
    Although it finds a way to being useful on occasion, most times it never leaves my backpack.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

I always pack my Fiskars 13" resin handle ax and several nails.I can put up nails in shelters for folks to hang stuff on.I use it to flatten left behind tin cans for packing out.It helps me split wood for a campfire to warm hikers.I can chop through blow downs enough till trail crews do a better clean up.Can be used for self defense.Also can be used to erase graffiti.Many uses.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Journal Entries

Whats the definition of non-essential?

Most things are somewhat non-essential for most as there are usually simpler lighter alternatives that may be just less comfortable. I.e. a tarp vs a tent, or only needed in rarest circumstances , ie large knife or rope, extra clothes.

Restricting it to items whose function is not and would never be useful for hiking, camping, or survival is more defining.

I have brought a stuffed animal, comb, camera and spare batt, coffee, pen and paper.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-01-2017 at 21:51.

A knitting project or drop spindle and hank of wool. If it's not too rocky or steep, I sometimes knit while I hike.

Book, pen & paper, 5x7 tarp, backup (spare) headlight... and I, too, bring a piece of ccf to sit/ kneel on.

Ever thing I carry can be non essential.

Journal Entries
    Images

Tenkara fly rod I will enjoy fishing at times.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

I guess it depends on how you define non-essential. I don't NEED to journal but I do and I (get this!) carry a notebook and pen for this purpose. Most of my first aid kit is non essential. Until I need it. I don't need the ccf pad I carry but it sure makes sitting on cold, hard objects more enjoyable. Is your phone "essential?" I hiked well before cell phones even existed so I would say they are NOT essential but I bet 99% of the people here carry one when hiking and consider it essential. Whereas I still carry a paper map though most would consider that useless. However, I once needed one to locate water off trail on a 95 degree day. I still consider a map essential (and a compass). Not sure if any trail app would help me locate water off trail. Sometimes I carry a book to read too! OMGosh! Certainly that's non-essential! I don't know. I like being able to identify specific flowers or mushrooms or even birds or possibly read just for enjoyment. After all, I hike to enjoy myself and I enjoy reading as well.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Whats the definition of non-essential?

Most things are somewhat non-essential for most as there are usually simpler lighter alternatives that may be just less comfortable. I.e. a tarp vs a tent, or only needed in rarest circumstances , ie large knife or rope, extra clothes.

Restricting it to items whose function is not and would never be useful for hiking, camping, or survival is more defining.

I have brought a stuffed animal, comb, camera and spare batt, coffee, pen and paper.
    Non essential is open to definition and I get that but you get what I mean. I also have carried hand snips when hiking during summer months, not essential but sometimes handy.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I carry a lucky buckeye in my medicine bag.

Prolly my phone and iPod, but I enjoy the music, movies, encyclopedia britanica it provides (ie; google...so to speak), the life line I could do without..."be back in a few days, see ya"

"... my industrial-strength hair dryer and I can't leave without it!"

I carry a full-length ZLite pad in addition to my SLX inflatible pad. Its not essential to survival or making it through a night, but it significantly boosts the quantity and quality of the sleep I get so I hump it in with me everytime. The other non-essential item I carry is a pair of reading glasses. I download regional maps on my iPhone, which I also use as a camera, and while I could just use the zoom feature I am partial to my readers.

Camera gear.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

A long handled spoon over a shorter one

Camera/phone

Typically have an extra layer. Light fleece or similar

I use two cuben dry bags and a pack liner, not exactly necessary

Gravity filter equipment over regular squeeze filter

Most people wouldn't call those luxuries I guess, idk, I'm a simpleton.

I really want to get an MP3 player.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

This will sound strange, but Chief Squatsalot comes with me most always. A small toy indian figure with a spear in its hands, I found him at a small river crossing in the middle of nowhere where a plastic toy from the 1950s had no business being. I was curious how he got there and he was delighted to be found, we've been a team ever since. The presumption is he wandered off and got lost. So if unsure of which direction to go on a bushwhack or trail junction, Squatsalot is tossed onto the ground, whichever way his spear points we choose the opposite direction. Curiously, it seems to work about 90% of the time.

Default What non-essential item do you continue to carry ?

I carry a massage stick, voodoo floss, and a lacrosse ball. Recovery of those overused leg and foot muscles has become a priority for me. I am willing to carry the extra weight in order to recover at the end of the day and get some blood flowing to my legs prior to starting each morning. It is a game changer for me but will meet resistance from many. All good. I posted a video on YouTube that shows these items and how to use them. Happy New Years to all!
    https://youtu.be/qEqKgVxr560

I carry a large kuksa cup for coffee, hot chocolate or soup...love eating out of it and it won't burn my lips like my titanium cup would
    Let me go

Images

I carry quite a few non-essential items, but in the spirit of what I think you're asking for...a deck of Rook cards, an iPod shuffle with music and audible books, a piece of foam to sit on (actually, this thing has become more essential as I get older), and one of those neat inflatable LED lights that's solar rechargable. The last one lights up the entire tent with enough light to read, and weighs a paltry 1.9 ounces, probably one of the neatest finds of the year for us.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

When I'm with a group hike, I will bring a small travel chess set..............only played once........everyones always too tired......especially me!

A plastic flask of Irish whiskey.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++