WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Check out the MSR Hubba. I have the latest version and am very happy with it. I've tried tarps, tarp tents and other double wall tents and really like my Hubba. I'm six foot even and am a restless sleeper. It serves me well.

"Ultralight" and "freestanding" are almost mutually exclusive, unless exotic (and expensive) materials are used. even most freestanding winter mountaineering tents require that you stake out the vestibule. I think that two full-length poles, in an "x" configuration is the lightest option that could be truly freestanding. Even the mountaineering tents mentioned above, need to be staked out when the wind gets wicked and the snow starts to pile up. I have a Hilleberg Akto that I use for winter heavy-weather hiking. It's not freestanding, but a handful of not-so-light stakes are lighter (and offer more strength and stability in wind) than an extra pole. "Freestanding" is kinda like "waterproof-breathable".... Pick one or the other, depending on your needs. Look beyond the apparent benefits and imagine your gear in real-world conditions. It can change your perception on the "buzz words" used to sell products. Btw: you might want to look at the Hilleberg Unna.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by SubSquid View Post
    I am looking for a light, one person, double walled tent that can fit a 6'3" person with a little extra room since I am normally a restless sleeper. I am not looking for a tarp tent or a hammock. I do hammock camp but I am looking for a tent. I have the REI Half Dome 2+ which is very spacious and heavy for backpacking. The camping I do is mostly in warmer climates, lowest is around 30 degrees Fahrenheit camping in the southeast.
    Most of my reading here everyone points toward tarps and I am not convinced on them yet, a friend of mine uses one but still doesn't appeal to me.
    Thank you for your suggestions and advice in advance.
    When I did the same research a year ago, I settled on the REI Quarterdome. I have been pleased with it, but I am not as tall as you are.
    Shutterbug

Settle on using a 2 man tent and sleep diagonally.

On some floor plans sleeping diagonally makes very little difference.
    A quick check can be done using a mock up of the mat one intends to use and the tent floor dimensions.
    Mind you, not that it does tell you if it will work on 3D but it will tell you if it does not.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Another Kevin uses a Notch year round in upstate New York. Hopefully he will drop in and give us his opinion of the Notch which is similar to the Moment
    Haven't had the time to check in here regularly, so I only just saw this.

I do indeed use a Notch - with the half-solid inner tent. Having the half-solid inner really cuts down on the wind.

I'm not quite as big as the original poster, but I'm largish (6'1") and find it comfortable. Adequate floor space, and the headroom is much more than I need to sit up. I like the double vestibules, because that means that wet gear doesn't have to come inside with me. And I'm old enough to have a real appreciation for the side entry. Not having to crawl through a tunnel around a tent pole is a major plus.

I tend to be one of those people who think that a three-season tent is adequate for short winter trips (I wouldn't want to be stuck in one for an extended spell of weather, but I seldom do a trip longer than a 3-4 day weekend in any case.) The Notch certainly stands up to a light snow load. In a heavier storm, I'd want to get up a time or two in the night to knock the snow off. The other old farts here will give me a knowing wink when I say that for a guy on the wrong side of sixty, getting up a time or two in the night is pretty routine.

If I got out more often on snowshoes, I might want a tent that doesn't tie up my poles. Otherwise, the fact that I can't use my poles with it set up is fine. I can go about my business in camp without them, and I'm always nervous about walking away from a camp. Too much chance that the local wildlife will tear it apart looking for food that isn't there.

I haven't tried it in really deep cold. Negative single digits F is as low as I've gone with it. (I'm really not geared up for colder conditions, in other respects as well.) That's enough for what I get down here in the valley, and enough for shorter jaunts into the peaks, timed to the weather.

Like all silnylon structures, it stretches and sags. It happens to look particularly unkempt when it does. I'm not overly house-proud.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I have to say I have been very impressed with all the tarp tents, I was originally completely against them but now I am really considering one. Only thing is I have to find somewhere or someone who has one so I can check it out before I buy, considering the price. But my original research and looking at them I thought it was go to Walmart and get an actual tarp. Mostly since that's how a friend of mine does it. So now it's between a tarp tent and the BA Cooper Spur.
    Thank you for the help so far.
    I would do a through hike if it wasn't for job restrictions, so section hiking it is.

If you decide to look st non free standing definitely check out LHG Solong 6....it's been a great 1-2 person shelter under 2lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are tarps. There are tents. There is a company named TarpTent that makes tents. Good luck.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

[MEDIA=youtube]-squTd0TCXI[/MEDIA]

How about this one?: 10x10 Tarp Pyramid Design for High Winds - Full Length Video.

How about this one?: 10x10 Tarp Pyramid Design for High Winds - Full Length Video.

https://youtu.be/-squTd0TCXI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I would suggest the Coleman Pop Up Tent if you want a 1 person tent and also a lightweight tent for your backpacking trip. I bought it last year and it worked really well when I go camping or hiking with my friends.
    One thing that I like the most is the set-up process. It takes 1 minutes to make all things done and you dont need to carry any heavy stakes on your back. You just have to use some sticks to tighten it on the ground. Although it's not really good for winter or camping in the rain, it's still a good and affordable choice.
    You can see my review here along with some essential features when choosing a good tent
    http://hikertrack.com/best-pop-up-tent/
    Hope you could make the best decision. Safe backpacking!

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Anderson View Post
    I would suggest the Coleman Pop Up Tent if you want a 1 person tent and also a lightweight tent for your backpacking trip.
    Your idea of light weight and mine are vastly different. The only dealer that I found that had a weight listed, was "approx" 3.4 kg/7.5 lbs. That's more than my big 4 (pack, quilt, pad and 2 person tent 2.6kg/5.7lb).
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

I think most experienced bushwalkers/hikers know there is a correlation between weight, materials and price. Unless you manage to snag a exceptional sale item, usually the more advanced materials used, the lighter the item, and of course the price is big $$$$$. The reverse is also true, older or poorer types of material, heavier the item and they are cheap.

So it becomes a trade off. If money is no option great, but for most people it's more the middle of the road with weight, dollars and materials. Good materials that are going to do the job for a reasonable amount of time, reasonably light weight and good value. Then of course you trade up as $$$$ become available.

Plenty of good options have been mentioned in this thread.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

tarptents has good options for you often used by thru hikers. I like the bowfin for freestanding doublewall. the notch is lighter and uses tracking poles. the rainbow is a versatile single wall. they aren't tarps. they are awesome tents at great prices and weigh between 25 and 37 ounces.

A Human Being.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++