WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What Stove?

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    I get 13 boils out of the smaller canister, if that helps.
    How much water per boil? I would figure maybe for one person a pint to a pint and a half in the morning depending on menu and appetite (large hot beverage and decent sized hot cereal, alternative a bagel and scrambled egg or similar).,
    For dinner a hot beverage again and a one pot meal, bring to a boil, let sit in a cozy. It might take two or three steps depending on what you are cooking, the long cooking ingredients first, then medium, and short cooking like cous cous last. Up to a liter total for dinner, even for two I guess.
    So maybe a liter and a half for dinner for two big eaters, one liter for most of us solitary. The rest of the meal would be snacks and cold dessert.
    Would the 4 oz. canister get me through 3 to 4 days with a menu like this?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmountainguy View Post
    How much water per boil? I would figure maybe for one person a pint to a pint and a half in the morning depending on menu and appetite (large hot beverage and decent sized hot cereal, alternative a bagel and scrambled egg or similar).,
    For dinner a hot beverage again and a one pot meal, bring to a boil, let sit in a cozy. It might take two or three steps depending on what you are cooking, the long cooking ingredients first, then medium, and short cooking like cous cous last. Up to a liter total for dinner, even for two I guess.
    So maybe a liter and a half for dinner for two big eaters, one liter for most of us solitary. The rest of the meal would be snacks and cold dessert.
    Thanks.
    If you believe anything that you read on the internet, some folks claim 1-2 weeks from a small canister. I wouldn't know. Walmart only sells the middle and large size canisters and quart or gallon size white gas.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I'm afraid mine might do the same which is why I asked. Thanks.
    Svea 123 & Primus Multi-Fuel at the ready.
    Wayne
    With a Svea, why would you need anything else, unless you are melting a lot of snow?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    With a Svea, why would you need anything else, unless you are melting a lot of snow?
    I flew from Abu Dhabi to Vancouver and needed a stove and a new headset for my Gary Fisher bike. I found a bike shop next door to an outdoor shop. I bought the Peak 1 while the bike was being fixed. The 123 was at home.
    No doubt I should use the Svea 123 and put the rest on the shelf.
    Pondering.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Thanks.
    For me, 1 liter (4 cups) will cook my food (FBC w/cozy) and do 1 hot beverage. Approximately .5 liter for each. For this I figure 10 grams per meal. When with my wife and/or daughters I plan 13 grams per person per meal. If I need to simmer to fully rehydrate (tuna casserole) I will add 1-2 grams per meal.

I usually carry a 230 gram canister, mid size, camp above 9500' using a windscreen on a SP Giga at a low setting. I think canister stoves are more fuel efficient at a lower setting and for the alcohol stove users, I like listening to the sound longer.

A good way to get a grip on how your cooking style will consume fuel, measure each new canister, write weight (grams) on outside, use it, count liters, re-weight it and remark at home. Record cooking process, # people, environmental conditions etc. YMMV, but it should be pretty close.

If you believe anything that you read on the internet, some folks claim 1-2 weeks from a small canister. I wouldn't know. Walmart only sells the middle and large size canisters and quart or gallon size white gas...
    Yes, of course people throw out wild ideas and wild estimates which may not correspond with real world usage. For example, this past fall I boiled a large 1+ liter pot of soup and simmered on the stove (rather than a cozy) and used about 2 fluid oz. of white gas. I did this knowing I had an abundance of fuel and would be out in a few hours.
    I think I could, if solitary and VERY conservative with fuel consumption (maybe no hot lunch, limited hot breakfast - bagel and drink or oatmeal and drink) I suspect I could easily get by with a small canister for the 11 meals that a week would be. (Assuming again, very conservative use with a cozy and no slow simmering.)
    But...here it comes, how real is this consumption realistically with perhaps two people, one of whom occasionally wants a hot lunch or an extra hot beverage before bed? How about if one of them likes their food really hot, i.e. no "cozy simmering" but real simmering on the stove.
    I guess without extensive testing, I will end up with a mid-size canister for maybe 3 or 4 days, with two people, Obviously then a small canister would work for the same amount of time with just me. I guess if I run out a day or two short of trail end, I could do a small twig fire to heat a beverage.

My 13 boils is on the AT not in AZ. It is a rough estimate. I usually boil a little over two cups per sitting depending on whether or not I am having a hot drink. It isn't exact science, but if you are using an MSR pocket rocket without a wind screen and you have boiled over two cups of water 13 times, consider any more boils you get a gift.

Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

If you believe anything that you read on the internet, some folks claim 1-2 weeks from a small canister...
    Yes, exactly, this is why I am spending so much time on the issue. It is possible depending on time and company that soup might be on the menu for lunch. Estimates of consumption vary WILDLY, One estimate has the large cartridge boiling 17 liters of water. My limited experience with cartridge stoves says this is probably impossible, at least with the old Bluet that I used. Running out of fuel would be sucky if you count on cooking, but packing an extra canister negates the weight advantages of a canister stove.

Yes, exactly, this is why I am spending so much time on the issue. It is possible depending on time and company that soup might be on the menu for lunch. Estimates of consumption vary WILDLY, One estimate has the large cartridge boiling 17 liters of water. My limited experience with cartridge stoves says this is probably impossible, at least with the old Bluet that I used. Running out of fuel would be sucky if you count on cooking, but packing an extra canister negates the weight advantages of a canister stove.
    My Optimus CruxLite with a MSR Titan Kettle will use between 9 and 10 grams of fuel to boil 2.5 cups of water. This is at 72 degrees ambient, wind 0, wind screen in place, lid off, and 50 degrees water temperature. This will yield around 10 boils max for a 110g canister.

Of course, YMMV....

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    My Optimus CruxLite with a MSR Titan Kettle will use between 9 and 10 grams of fuel to boil 2.5 cups of water. This is at 72 degrees ambient, wind 0, wind screen in place, lid off, and 50 degrees water temperature. This will yield around 10 boils max for a 110g canister.

Of course, YMMV....
    I have a Primus Himalaya MFS that uses about the same amount of fuel, either white gas or canister.
    Adventures in Stoving has figures for canisters and white gas that are slightly more conservative and probably better for trip planning with a bit of extra fuel for "what if" situations.
    Wayne

I did 600 miles on the AT a few years back and exclusively used a wood stove with no backup. I can only recall once or twice eating a cold dinner basically attributed to my own laziness of not wanting to deal with wet wood. My stove weighed in at 5 ounces and I never carried fuel. I personally found the routine of gathering wood to be relaxing and in reality only took a couple of minutes. My stove of choice at the time was the Bushbuddy. I liked the idea that I would never have to worry about finding fuel or running out of it. As an added bonus I always enjoyed having a mini campfire right next to my hammock after a good meal. Soot was never a problem as the fire is contained inside the BB and it doesn't have to be taken apart. It nested perfectly in my pot along with my bic and spoon. Wood burning's not for everyone. especially those in a hurry but the benefits outweighed the negatives for me. I could boil my water in about 5-6 minutes after the fire was started. I could gather the wood and light the fire in about ten minutes. My second choice would be a Pocket Rocket or something similar.

GA-ME Feb. 27th–July 1st, 2016 lwhikerchris's Avatar

Alcohol all the way. It's cheap, quick, efficient, and no problems in the rain. Alcohol is multi-use as well and you can and will find it all over the place. People will even give it to you.

Number of thru hikers = Number of stove+fuel opinions.
    Wayne

that's wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    I find a pocket rocket is simple and does the trick quickly. Easy to find fuel
    Your last option could also work
    are you the Hiking Jim that has the Adventures in Stoving website?..

depending on the efficiency of your canister stove, you can get a 1:2 ratio of grams of fuel to ounces of water...

Do you still have the Coleman Peak 1? Does it work? Would you care to sell it?
    Thanks.
    Wayne

You can find them on EBAY

I prefer not to visit eBay.
    In this case I might make an exception.
    Thanks.
    Wayne

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Eh..doesn't matter on the AT assuming you are doing typical thru-hiker glop de jure boil and cook type meals. [1]

Toss a coin for alcohol vs canister. Pick one and you'll be fine.

[1] Unless there is an open flame ban such as last year.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I wouldn't sweat it too much. You will figure out how much fuel you are using after a canister is gone. You always have the option of using a wood fire if you run out of fuel so it won't be. Too Lang before you can get fuel again.

Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

[QUOTE=Greenmountainguy;2117773
    Thanks.[/QUOTE]

like someone said earlier, you often don't need to bring your water up to boiling temps. Ya can't really drink a hot beverage at 212 degrees F so why heat the water all the way to boiling. I suppose some freezer bag meals require boiling water or close to it but if you can get away with getting the water somewhere between warm and hot, you can save significantly on fuel, be it canister, alcohol, white gas or wood.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++