WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Is updated Osprey EXOS 58 durable?

I have already hiked the AT in 2013-2104 and used the ORIGINAL Osprey EXOS 58 backpack. This backpack has been updated to better padded shoulder straps and hip belt. Osprey also removed the 2 exterior back pockets with the update (which is a real bummer). When I did my hike, the trampoline mesh backing and mesh hip pockets wore out and tore. Osprey replaced the pack 2x during my hike (free) because of this issue. I'm heading back on the AT and would like to know if any of you have had any issues with the UPDATED Osprey EXOS pack. Thanks in advance.

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

I have the next size smaller (46?) of the newest version and am very happy with its fit, comfort, and overall performance. I am just a section hiker. I love the ventilated back and light weight.

No issue, but don't take my word for it, try it out for yourself.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

I used the old version on my PCT thru and it was perfect. That being said, a lot of people had the same problem you had on your AT hike. Based on many conversations about the pack, Osprey made vast improvements to the durability of the mesh that goes against your back. The new pack's stretchy external pocket is the new failure point that caused a few to get new packs during their hike.

I'd say ULA packs are a bit more durable and Zpacks are significantly less based on conversations.

Curious - how did they tear?

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    Curious - how did they tear?
    So the bottom of the pack is made of a more durable material than the back stretchy pocket but the bottom material doesn't extend up high enough so that when people lean their pack against a tree the stretchy pocket material is against the ground rather than the durable bottom. Over a few months and if you aren't real careful it would develop a small hole that would slowly grow.

The good thing is that there was a decent amount of warning and the main body of the pack wasn't compromised so people could keep hiking while a replacement was shipped. Osprey's customer service was also great FWIW.

Thanks for the responses. I'm sending the pack back for repairs but they told me they would most likely replace it with the updated model… thanks for the heads up about the back stretchy pocket. I may put a strip of duck tape across that area to help prevent those hole. If anyone else had any other problems with the pack, please chime in.

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

Journal Entries

I hiked from Springer to Pearisburg last year with my Exos 58....no complaints, and it's still in great shape. I'm continuing my hike this year from Pearisburg to Wingdale, NY with the same pack. Can't wait!

++ New Posts ++