WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Plus, it is difficult to maneuver with an x-frame pack, especially in close quarters or dense brush.
    Have you ever actually backpacked with an external?

Ummm...yeah...like that's all that was freaking around in the 70's! And, early 80's, for that matter....

Wait until that x-frame gets snagged on a downhill and flips your around 90 degrees...

X-frames don't really pivot with you, they just kind of go their own way. Which may or may not be the way you are wanting to go...

Yeah, hard to say how many miles in the 70's...days are a better count...do I get to include Philmont? In 1975 I did a 32 nighter out west...1976...one 21 nighter and one 26 nighter...1978 a three week climbing expedition...those are only the big ones...keeping track of the 5-7 nighters during that decade is impossible for me...

I had 4 or 5 big x-frame packs from 1972 to 1982. One I converted to a lashed cargo hauler for base-camp expeditions...
    None I would wear today for anything other than a costume ball....or maybe to pack out some Elk pieces...YMMV...

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Ummm...yeah...like that's all that was freaking around in the 70's! And, early 80's, for that matter....

Wait until that x-frame gets snagged on a downhill and flips your around 90 degrees...

X-frames don't really pivot with you, they just kind of go their own way. Which may or may not be the way you are wanting to go...

Yeah, hard to say how many miles in the 70's...days are a better count...do I get to include Philmont? In 1975 I did a 32 nighter out west...1976...one 21 nighter and one 26 nighter...1978 a three week climbing expedition...those are only the big ones...keeping track of the 5-7 nighters during that decade is impossible for me...

I had 4 or 5 big x-frame packs from 1972 to 1982. One I converted to a lashed cargo hauler for base-camp expeditions...
    None I would wear today for anything other than a costume ball....or maybe to pack out some Elk pieces...YMMV...
    Well in that case I'll heavily consider an internal, but I want to try them on before I buy one, does reí carry ul packs? And also my pack is a really small external, idk if that makes a difference

REI is going to be very expensive for you, unless you can find something at a closeout price. However, if you have an REI near you, at least you can try on some Osprey packs. REI Flash packs are pretty good and are LW, not ULW. If you have a local outdoor shop(locally owned) for climbers or back country skiers, you can often find lightweight packs on closeout, although not ULW, because both climbers and BC skiers need bullet-proof dependability and winter carry. Measure your torso length to be sure you fit a standard pack... https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...sting-fit.html

IIWY, I'd be looking to buy used or closeout. Since your x-frame is small, you may be GTG with a 50L pack. That SMD for a Benjamin is a steal. You might find a Klymit Motion 60 used for a Benjamin, new for 165. You don't need the lightest as much as you need lighter and a different suspension system. I'd say you can accomplish both for a hundred bucks on the pack. With that, you are still under $400 for replacing 2 of the big 3(pack, bag) for a savings of at least 4 and more likely 5 pounds. Plus, you get more comfort for your sleep and less weight to carry overall. I didn't give you any bag links, but here are two 20 degree bags that will work well at a decent price.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mar...-bags~d~208%2F Look for a 25 percent off coupon...

http://www.campsaver.com/ksb-20-down-sleeping-bag

Two things I personally never buy used...shoes and sleeping bags. Well, underwear too. But that goes without saying, right?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by norts View Post
    Two pairs of socks is the bare minimum. You should be trying to wash your socks daily. The dirt and dust that gets into them really chews up your feet. Clean pair at the beginning of each day and the other pair rinsed and hanging on your pack.
    Also I would stick with the Sawyer squeeze. Mine has now done the AT and the PCT. Lots of ppl looking to swap their mini out for a squeeze on the trail. Mini flow rate slows down very fast. Alot of dubious water supplies on the PCT in the desert areas.

Taz
    I put one pair in my sleeping bag kept clean and dry and 2 for hiking use
    Quote Originally Posted by Puddle sleeper View Post
    Do you know where I can get free tyvek? Because I've heard it can be acquired for free and yea I always cow boy camp unless it's raining. And the less clothes I wear in my bag the warmer I am for some reason, and yea I'll rig duct tape for first aid and yea I have a bear canister I just didn't put it because I won't have it the whole time, I also have microspikes,

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    CSS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++