WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Not so lightweight pct gear list

Columbia down jacket - 15oz
    Thermometer - 0.7oz
    Spork and knife - 0.7oz
    Darn tough socks (extra pair) - 2.9oz
    Extra underwear - 2.1oz
    Sawyer squeeze - 6.5oz
    Vintage reí zero degree bag - 48.6 oz
    Shamagh (giant middle eastern bandana) - 5.8oz
    Thermarest sleeping pad - 12.9oz
    Black diamond headlight - 3.0oz
    Chapstick - 0.3oz
    Compass - 0.8oz
    Suntactics solar charger - 7.5oz
    Fixed blade knife - 3.0oz
    Paracord - 3.2oz
    Camelback bladder - 6.7oz
    Vintage reí external frame pack - 67.3 oz
    Jetboil - 13.9oz
    Mountain hardware gloves - 7.1oz
    Colombia beanie - 4.8oz
    Helium ii - 6.5oz

I'm new to whiteblaze and am planning a thru hike of the pct this summer as I just graduated high school this last summer and see this as my only chance at having the time and money for a thru hike (I've been working since I graduated). I'm also new to lightweight backpacking as I've been using my fathers vintage gear and wonder what you guys think of my gear list, also I have yet to get my tent but I plan on getting a big Agnes fly creek ul2.

Lose the heavy darn tough socks. Mine weigh half of yours
    Leave the thermometer at home
    Lose the Spork and knife and trade them for a long handled spoon
    trade the Sawyer squeeze for a Sawyer mini
    The 0° bag sounds a bit over-the-top. Could you save weight using a 20° bag and sleep in your warm clothes?
    I don't see anything on your list that the solar charger would charge…??
    Lose the fixed blade knife for a folder that weighs less than 1 ounce with a 2 inch blade
    Your beanie and gloves are ridiculously heavy… Reconsider both of those
    Through the external frame pack away… PM mefor a "Jesus saves"

You're 18. A few (at most) extra pounds won't kill you. You may need money more than lighter gear. Have at it.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I do like the idea of undestroyable socks though, I'll consider leaving the thermometer although knowing how miserable I am is fun sometimes, the long spoon idea I'll also consider, I'm also debating going cookless. I forgot to mention iPhone as it will probably be in my pocket, the knife thing also makes sense and yea I have winter beanie/ gloves. And I'm never throwing this pack away sorry, it carries the weight well and looks rad, and has great back ventilation, I mean I could save three pounds on it but I also don't have much money to replace it and I got it for $12 dollars, hard to beat, thanks for the advice I'll definitely reconsider a couple things in my pack

Yea money is tight sadly, I'll figure a couple ways to save some weight where I can without breaking my wallet, I guess I'll have to take the age old advice "just deal with it"

Quote Originally Posted by Puddle sleeper View Post
    Columbia down jacket - 15oz
    Thermometer - 0.7oz
    Spork and knife - 0.7oz
    Darn tough socks (extra pair) - 2.9oz
    Extra underwear - 2.1oz
    Sawyer squeeze - 6.5oz
    Vintage reí zero degree bag - 48.6 oz
    Shamagh (giant middle eastern bandana) - 5.8oz
    Thermarest sleeping pad - 12.9oz
    Black diamond headlight - 3.0oz
    Chapstick - 0.3oz
    Compass - 0.8oz
    Suntactics solar charger - 7.5oz
    Fixed blade knife - 3.0oz
    Paracord - 3.2oz
    Camelback bladder - 6.7oz
    Vintage reí external frame pack - 67.3 oz
    Jetboil - 13.9oz
    Mountain hardware gloves - 7.1oz
    Colombia beanie - 4.8oz
    Helium ii - 6.5oz

I'm new to whiteblaze and am planning a thru hike of the pct this summer as I just graduated high school this last summer and see this as my only chance at having the time and money for a thru hike (I've been working since I graduated). I'm also new to lightweight backpacking as I've been using my fathers vintage gear and wonder what you guys think of my gear list, also I have yet to get my tent but I plan on getting a big Agnes fly creek ul2.
    Is the charger for a cell phone? Have you tested that? If so, I'm curious to know how good it works.
    You said you're going to start this in the summer, so I guess you're going southbound, right? If you're going north, it's gonna be HOT in that desert, and you should prepare to be able carry at least 6 liters if water, IMHO. I know you have a camelbak, and I'm thinking it's the 3 liter one. I'd get some 1.5 liter water bottles, in addition to that, which will hopefully fit in your side pockets on your pack. I found a cap and tube on Amazon, so you can drink from those bottles just like you can from the camelbak.
    And a wise ole backpacker told me once, when you're hikin, especially in the desert, split your water up so it's not all in one container...
    BTW, what's the total weight of that list?

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Is the charger for a cell phone? Have you tested that? If so, I'm curious to know how good it works.
    You said you're going to start this in the summer, so I guess you're going southbound, right? If you're going north, it's gonna be HOT in that desert, and you should prepare to be able carry at least 6 liters if water, IMHO. I know you have a camelbak, and I'm thinking it's the 3 liter one. I'd get some 1.5 liter water bottles, in addition to that, which will hopefully fit in your side pockets on your pack. I found a cap and tube on Amazon, so you can drink from those bottles just like you can from the camelbak.
    And a wise ole backpacker told me once, when you're hikin, especially in the desert, split your water up so it's not all in one container...
    BTW, what's the total weight of that list?

I'm going northbound, when I say summer I mean spring and summer I was just too lazy to type, and I used the solar charger but it was in the sierras in late fall and my phone was so cold it wasn't charging until I warmed it up in my pocket at that point I gave up and hiked out (you know how cold does that too batteries) and the total was like 15 pounds I believe but that's missing a few key items, I'm really considering ditching my stove, I don't get tired of food easy and really hate cleaning the pot

Images

IF $250 for a new pack is the difference between going on a PCT thru hike and not being able to afford it, then you don't have enough money.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder940 View Post
    IF $250 for a new pack is the difference between going on a PCT thru hike and not being able to afford it, then you don't have enough money.
    I mean I could drop like $700 on gear and still make my $5000 dollar deadline before I leave but why fix what isn't broken, my pack carries it weight well plus I don't think carrying a gallon plus of water in a ul pack sounds like any fun. Now the beanie and gloves I will definitely be replacing for lighter versions. I'd also like to have money when I come back for the next adventure you know.

I'll offer my $0.02 worth of advice (it might be worth that much) on your gear list.

At 18, I suspect you are on the 'young & broke' end of the financial spectrum. You can save weight by not taking something or substituting it with something you already have that is lighter. A lot of little things can be done to reduce your weight (stove/pot options - more on that later; 1-oz bandana vs Shamagh; SmartWater bottles instead of Camelbak; etc) that you can look into. You save the biggest amount of weight on reducing your big-3: shelter (miss it in the list?), pack, & sleep system. This is also an area where you can drop some serious coin.

Stoveless/potless is an option (one that I don't try too often). You can go 'reasonably priced' for your pot (~$30; i.e. GSI 1.1L Boiler, 7.4 oz; or Olycamp XTS 1.1L pot that has JetBoil-like fins around the base, 7.8 oz) or dirt cheap ($2.97 for an Imusa 12 cm mug/pot from Walmart, 3.5 oz... make a own foil lid).

For a dirt cheap & really light stove, check out the BRS-3000 stove for ~$15 @ 1 oz. For a very fuel efficient canister stove, check out the Soto Windmaster (my favorite; very wind-resistant burner) @ 2.8 oz ~$65 or so.

Just remember, the physics formula for measuring 'Work' is well established. With your youth, you'll probably be able to handle more 'work' - weight - (& have greater recuperative power), but why do so if you don't have to.

Good luck on your hike!
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Images

1. You might want to add a piece of tyvek to use as a groundsheet when you sleep under the stars as well as underneath your tent.

2. A second spare pair of socks to sleep in?

3. You'll need a bear can for the Sierra. I think there may again be a loaner program. Check out the PCT 2017 facebook group.

4. Don't see: minimal first aid kit; snow stake to dig catholes
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    I'll offer my $0.02 worth of advice (it might be worth that much) on your gear list.

At 18, I suspect you are on the 'young & broke' end of the financial spectrum. You can save weight by not taking something or substituting it with something you already have that is lighter. A lot of little things can be done to reduce your weight (stove/pot options - more on that later; 1-oz bandana vs Shamagh; SmartWater bottles instead of Camelbak; etc) that you can look into. You save the biggest amount of weight on reducing your big-3: shelter (miss it in the list?), pack, & sleep system. This is also an area where you can drop some serious coin.

Stoveless/potless is an option (one that I don't try too often). You can go 'reasonably priced' for your pot (~$30; i.e. GSI 1.1L Boiler, 7.4 oz; or Olycamp XTS 1.1L pot that has JetBoil-like fins around the base, 7.8 oz) or dirt cheap ($2.97 for an Imusa 12 cm mug/pot from Walmart, 3.5 oz... make a own foil lid).

For a dirt cheap & really light stove, check out the BRS-3000 stove for ~$15 @ 1 oz. For a very fuel efficient canister stove, check out the Soto Windmaster (my favorite; very wind-resistant burner) @ 2.8 oz ~$65 or so.

Just remember, the physics formula for measuring 'Work' is well established. With your youth, you'll probably be able to handle more 'work' - weight - (& have greater recuperative power), but why do so if you don't have to.

Good luck on your hike!
    I'll definitely look into another stove option, thank you, I am leaning towards no stove because it'll make town food that much sweeter.

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    1. You might want to add a piece of tyvek to use as a groundsheet when you sleep under the stars as well as underneath your tent.

2. A second spare pair of socks to sleep in?

3. You'll need a bear can for the Sierra. I think there may again be a loaner program. Check out the PCT 2017 facebook group.

4. Don't see: minimal first aid kit; snow stake to dig catholes
    Do you know where I can get free tyvek? Because I've heard it can be acquired for free and yea I always cow boy camp unless it's raining. And the less clothes I wear in my bag the warmer I am for some reason, and yea I'll rig duct tape for first aid and yea I have a bear canister I just didn't put it because I won't have it the whole time, I also have microspikes,

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

If the current snow pack keeps up, you'll need an ice axe for sure, and maybe even snowshoes if you're on the early side heading out of Kennedy Meadows.

Replace that bandana thing with a mylar umbrella for about $30 and just a couple of extra ounces. It will be a lifesaver in southern California and will be great for Oregon/Washington when you will run into rain. Worth every penny.

Have you budgeted for your trip on a day by day basis? Trail food runs around $10 a day, if not more. Town food is even more. You can share hotel rooms with friends, but that adds up, too. Some of your old gear is surely going to fail. Some of your new gear probably will, too (the Thermarest comes to mind). You will need multiple pairs of shoes that run over $100 apiece.

BTW, the idea that at 18 this is your last chance to do a thru hike is ridiculous. I was late 30s when I did the PCT. 40something on the CDT. I probably have a few more thru hikes left in me still, and I've met thru hikers on all 3 of the TC trails that were much older than me.

Two pairs of socks is the bare minimum. You should be trying to wash your socks daily. The dirt and dust that gets into them really chews up your feet. Clean pair at the beginning of each day and the other pair rinsed and hanging on your pack.
    Also I would stick with the Sawyer squeeze. Mine has now done the AT and the PCT. Lots of ppl looking to swap their mini out for a squeeze on the trail. Mini flow rate slows down very fast. Alot of dubious water supplies on the PCT in the desert areas.

Taz

I still didn't see any alternative to cowboying it when it rains? You are going to need to factor in at least a tarp, line and maybe stakes. Or a bivy.

Sure, everyone can nitpick your list with suggestions to lighten your load. It's what we do...

That said, there is always a financial cost to lightening your load. But, let's look at some things that will lighten it and not cost a ton...
    Jetboil-lose it. Go with a lighter(3oz or less) burner and a 4 ounce or less pot. If you hate to clean, get anodized aluminum. Its also a buttload cheaper than titanium, which is a luxury not a necessity. New burner and pot=$20-50, weight savings 10 ounces...
    Retro 0 degree bag- Something is wrong here. 3 pounds for a 0 degree down bag is about as light as it gets with modern bags, unless you are going to spend more than $700!!!! Go weigh that bag and check it's rating again. No REI down bag EVER was rated at 0 degrees and only weighed 3 pounds! Go with a lighter down bag at 20 degrees rating. That will be around 2 pounds. I know this is a big expenditure, but it will pay off in comfort and weight savings. No "vintage" bag is going to perform nearly as well as a modern bag. $150-200, but around a TWO POUND weight savings...over a real vintage 0 degree bag, which should weigh in at no less than 4 and more likely 5 pounds! For comparison, a new Western Mountaineering 0 degree down bag(widely regarded as the best light down 0 degree bag) weighs in at 43 ounces and costs 600 bucks! So, that's kinda how I know your weight or temp rating is way wrong on your REI vintage sleeping bag!

I know you want to rock your vintage x-frame pack. But, looking cool and being cool are two very different things. There is nothing cool about schlepping a ridiculously out-of-date and way-too-heavy pack for a few thousand miles. You can get a GraniteGear VC60 for $160 bucks on sale right now and save yourself 2 to 3 POUNDS.

So, just there, I've saved you 5 pounds or so and you only spent $350 bucks. My personal target is no more than 10 bucks per ounce of weight saved. I just saved you 90 ounces for $350. It doesn't get any better/cheaper than that!!!!! Trust me, that will be the BEST $350 you have EVER spent. Unless you've been to Amsterdam. YMMV...just sayin...

I agree with scarebear that you should recheck some of those weights. What vintage external frame pack weighs just over 4 lbs?
    If your thermarest mat is actually 12.9 oz, it's probably not very warm. The only ones that would be that light and somewhat warm would be something new and expensive (eg: a small xlite)
    Generally you don't need expensive clothes, but upgrading your core items are worth considering

You don't NEED to get a more efficient sleeping bag, etc, but if you're hiking for months it isn't a bad idea if the cost isn't huge

Garlic
    Images

You can get Tyvek by asking to raid the dumpster at construction sites.

I hiked the PCT and many other trails without a stove. I think it's an excellent alternative.

I agree with others that an investment in a better pack and bag is a good idea. Keep an eye out for sales. The Marmot Helium sometimes goes for the mid-$200s. Gossamer Gear packs sometimes sell for under $100. My entire PCT kit cost under $800 and weighed less than ten pounds, including a new Tarptent, 15 degree Marmot down bag, and a GG pack that weighed less than a pound.

The bag cost, when amortized over hundreds of future nights, is almost nil. And having to bail out to town one time to weather a storm could cost more than a decent bag. When I hiked the AT, my Helium bag allowed me to hike Smoky Mountain NP all alone in a late spring blizzard (while hoards bailed out to the expensive town of Gatlinburg TN), an experience I'll never forget, and only made possible by a dry 15 degree down bag.

Your writing skills seem exemplary. You've probably done well in school, and best wishes on the PCT.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    If the current snow pack keeps up, you'll need an ice axe for sure, and maybe even snowshoes if you're on the early side heading out of Kennedy Meadows.

Replace that bandana thing with a mylar umbrella for about $30 and just a couple of extra ounces. It will be a lifesaver in southern California and will be great for Oregon/Washington when you will run into rain. Worth every penny.

Have you budgeted for your trip on a day by day basis? Trail food runs around $10 a day, if not more. Town food is even more. You can share hotel rooms with friends, but that adds up, too. Some of your old gear is surely going to fail. Some of your new gear probably will, too (the Thermarest comes to mind). You will need multiple pairs of shoes that run over $100 apiece.

BTW, the idea that at 18 this is your last chance to do a thru hike is ridiculous. I was late 30s when I did the PCT. 40something on the CDT. I probably have a few more thru hikes left in me still, and I've met thru hikers on all 3 of the TC trails that were much older than me.
    You're right I'll have more chances, it'll just be my last chance for a few years and I want to do things now. I actually a the chrome dome umbrella the bandana thing is for warmth, I'm debating leaving a beanie and just wrapping that thing around my head like the taliban to stay warm

Quote Originally Posted by norts View Post
    Two pairs of socks is the bare minimum. You should be trying to wash your socks daily. The dirt and dust that gets into them really chews up your feet. Clean pair at the beginning of each day and the other pair rinsed and hanging on your pack.
    Also I would stick with the Sawyer squeeze. Mine has now done the AT and the PCT. Lots of ppl looking to swap their mini out for a squeeze on the trail. Mini flow rate slows down very fast. Alot of dubious water supplies on the PCT in the desert areas.

Taz
    I have the mini and used it for years and now I have the squeeze and I'm never going back 😂

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++