WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My son uses the external I bought around 1972. I got a new hip belt a few years ago. Suits him fine. I went over to internals for skiing and bushwhacking, but would consider an external for trail walking anytime.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I think external frame packs are underrated and underutilized in industry (most designs are 20yo legacy).

I just bought a Seek Outside Unaweep over Xmas which I'm really excited to try.

*Weighs under 3lbs with a 70l capacity. It can swallow a bear canister.
    *external frame articulates, allowing more freedom of movement. But, it can still carry loads over 100lbs.
    *removable pack bag is submersible waterproof after seam sealing.
    *Hip belt and shoulder harness are more padded than any pack I've seen.

I've been using a Jansport external frame pack since 1997. I love it and don't want anything else. In fact, I broke a strap near Damascus last summer while slipping on a slick hillside. It was my opportunity to try something new. But, as I said, I love my Jansport. I found an identical one online, bought it, and plan to use it for the next 20 years. I prefer external frame because they're cooler. I'm hot natured, so that's a key consideration. Also, I'm simply used to it, know it, and like it.

Last summer at Boots Off Hostel in Hampton, Tennessee, there were two of us men in our 50s and both using external frame packs for two decades. We felt sorta like the last of the breed.

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    I think external frame packs are underrated and underutilized in industry (most designs are 20yo legacy).

I just bought a Seek Outside Unaweep over Xmas which I'm really excited to try.

*Weighs under 3lbs with a 70l capacity. It can swallow a bear canister.
    *external frame articulates, allowing more freedom of movement. But, it can still carry loads over 100lbs.
    *removable pack bag is submersible waterproof after seam sealing.
    *Hip belt and shoulder harness are more padded than any pack I've seen.
    That pack, simply put, rocks! Whether you are carrying 20lbs or 70lbs, it rides comfortably. It took me a while to get reorganized to use the one giant compartment effectively, but I rarely use any of my other packs after getting one of these built. Only issue I've found is in Winter where stacking stuff on top of the pack can be challenging compared to the old Kelty Super Tioga I used to use as a cold weather pack. Definitely an investment, but I'm betting you are going to love that thing.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

I carried an REI Wonderland Trekker for over 25 years. Bought it without a store and had to go to the catalog and call in the order on an old rotary phone. It's downfall was that it was 7lbs but carried 50 to 75 lbs without any problems. My back never got hot wearing it because of the wonderful mesh padding. It squeaked a lot, but that created a great hiking cadence almost like a metronome I occasionally train with now. I purchased a ULA Ohm 2.0 to force myself to drop weight and carry less! In the end, I just say that my External Frame got to heavy with all the memories stored in it!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I'm giving another vote to the Seek Outside packs. I've tried Gossamer Gear, Osprey and ULA's. They are great with 15 or less pounds but for times when I'm going long distances with few resupply options I won't leave home without my Seek Outside. It can put all the weight evenly on my hips and it makes hiking much more pleasurable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post
    I've been using a Jansport external frame pack since 1997. I love it and don't want anything else. In fact, I broke a strap near Damascus last summer while slipping on a slick hillside. It was my opportunity to try something new. But, as I said, I love my Jansport. I found an identical one online, bought it, and plan to use it for the next 20 years. I prefer external frame because they're cooler. I'm hot natured, so that's a key consideration. Also, I'm simply used to it, know it, and like it.

Last summer at Boots Off Hostel in Hampton, Tennessee, there were two of us men in our 50s and both using external frame packs for two decades. We felt sorta like the last of the breed.
    walked 10,000 AT miles with a Jansport D-2. i don't like internal frames even though i own one. a ULA. it's just OK

Journal Entries
    Images

I thru hiked with a Kelty external pack. it was a 70s vintage. Replaced the belts with new Kelty version and loved it. Looked at a lot of internal packs and stayed with my Kelty. It's now about now approaching 50 years old.
    A lot of new hikers today figure that they have all the "light weight" gear a long distance hike will be easy. They soon find out that it's not the case. Going to the newer light weight packs is mostly a lot of manufactures hype for sales purposes.
    Grampie-N->2001

I just bought a used ULA CDT and like it so far for short light trips. I have a previous model SMD Fusion 50L that I like, carries fairly heavy loads comfortably. A couple of different REI day packs.

Nothing will ever replace this beast though! When I know I will be "loaded for bear" and will have to carry it for a while, this one is my go-to. It has proven itself all over the world over the years and in many climates! I put my wife's Dueter 45+10, my SMD 50, our REI Flash 29, and my standard ALICE pack inside the beast to fill her out a little bit.

Attached Images Attached Images

I have to admit that for all my love of my "external framed" Arc Haul I wish the belt was a little more robust and supportive. The belt is where it loses a lot of the carrying capability IMO.

MY PACK.jpgCurrent pack, going to do the NJ section of the AT this September with it.
    RUNT ''13''

Quote Originally Posted by runt13 View Post
    MY PACK.jpgCurrent pack, going to do the NJ section of the AT this September with it.
    RUNT ''13''
    Is that a deer stand also....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two external frame packs I use, The Kelty Trekker 4000 and the Kelty Tioga 5500 both great packs.
    see the path cut by the moon for you to walk on

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Is that a deer stand also....

You could put a pony keg on that thing!

Little off topic- but is there anywhere to buy a seekoutside pack besides online? Specifically North Carolina or any of the surrounding states

Quote Originally Posted by eggymane View Post
    Little off topic- but is there anywhere to buy a seekoutside pack besides online? Specifically North Carolina or any of the surrounding states
    Call Seek Outside.
    Grand Junction, CO is a nice place to visit. You could demo the packs on real trails.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I have to admit that for all my love of my "external framed" Arc Haul I wish the belt was a little more robust and supportive. The belt is where it loses a lot of the carrying capability IMO.
    I agree, a couple more ounces of material on the belt would probably add 3-4 pounds to the upper limit of comfort. We did add the optional pad to the back of the belt on my wife's pack and she immediately noticed a big improvement.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Two years and about 2,000 miles with a Vargo Ti-Arc. I "Frankenpacked" it and really love my setup. It's not a pack that would appeal to most folks though.

LOL the pack can come off the frame so you can use it to haul out your game. However it can be used for hauling just about anything that your legs will allow. The pack can be used independently as well.

RUNT ''13''

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    I agree, a couple more ounces of material on the belt would probably add 3-4 pounds to the upper limit of comfort. We did add the optional pad to the back of the belt on my wife's pack and she immediately noticed a big improvement.
    The pad makes a difference. I ended up making my own because the additional pad from ZPacks wasn't working for me. The belt itself could just do with more structure or thickness.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++