WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I too am looking at the Exos vs alternatives. It looks like my base is going to be 12-14 lbs. I can try the Exos out, and like the ventilation system. I will be able to try the ULA Circuit, which I think I will like, but am worried about the lack of back ventilation. Most of the other choices I will have to buy to try? Suggestions appreciated?
    Pete

I found this blog post exceptionally enlightening. It's a 2016 thru-hiker gear survey, including backpacks. It's interesting to see what was most common/popular gear vs what was actually liked the most and/or least. Of course, the contradictions are some of the most enlightening parts with most popular items being used by the most people so often they were also disliked by the most people.

I think the net overall conclusion I drew out of the article was that more gear was replaced to improve camp/sleeping comfort for a slight weight penalty by people as they gained more experience. Most common upgrades were a bigger than 1-person tent, sleeping bags that were a little warmer than the minimum and sleeping pads that were thicker than CCF pads. . . as they say in athletic training, it the rest in between your workouts that is most important part of training.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

That's a good list, and contains all the usual suspects, as you'd expect. Interesting how many items made both the "most popular" and "least liked" lists. And how many of those I have!

I think you should show us your gear list

If that was for me, here you go...
    https://lighterpack.com/r/b9s247

Zpacks has back ventilation and is light.

Images

I have a Six Moon Design Fusion 65 that I used on my section from Daleville to Harper's Ferry last summer. I had a loaded pack weight of right at 28 lbs with 5 days food and a liter of water. It performed bearer than my Golite Jam, although I also have used the Jam on 2 other 2 week sections and like it also.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandPete View Post
    If that was for me, here you go...
    https://lighterpack.com/r/b9s247
    Ooo I like this!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

See anything you don't like? What am I missing/forgetting?

I have tried many packs and settled on the older Osprey Atmos 50... the older Atmos 50 weighs approx 3 lb-4 oz. Love this pack. My 3-season base weight with this pack is approx 12.5 lbs. Carrying 1.8L water and 3 days food I'm usually 20-22 lbs total pack weight.

have tried many U/L packs like Gossamer Gear Gorilla, ULA Circuit, and the newer Osprey Exos..... and just could not use them. These "frameless" or single-stay packs all end up pulling on your shoulders with any weight reaching 20 lbs. or more.

the new Atmos AG 50 weighs over 4 lbs. and I will not even think of a pack that heavy.

there's other nice packs from Osprey, Granite Gear around 3-4 lbs weight....and many like the ULA Catalyst, you may want to check it out

I've been debating between the Atmos and Exos packs. The Atmos certainly are heavier but carry the weight a lot better. My 3 season carry weight is about 13-16 lbs depending on temp, plus food and water (about another 10 lbs). The Atmos is the comfort king by a wide margin. My biggest gripe with the Exos is the fact that the torso is not adjustable. It just doesn't fit me, no matter how much I'd like to save nearly 2 lbs of pack weight. With both packs filled with 30 lbs of the same equipment, the Atmos actually feels lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by globetruck View Post
    I've been debating between the Atmos and Exos packs. The Atmos certainly are heavier but carry the weight a lot better. My 3 season carry weight is about 13-16 lbs depending on temp, plus food and water (about another 10 lbs). The Atmos is the comfort king by a wide margin. My biggest gripe with the Exos is the fact that the torso is not adjustable. It just doesn't fit me, no matter how much I'd like to save nearly 2 lbs of pack weight. With both packs filled with 30 lbs of the same equipment, the Atmos actually feels lighter.
    Use a pack that will be comfortable to YOU. Weight should be secondary IMHO. Lucky for me, the Exos packs fit me like a glove.

I totally agree

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Use a pack that will be comfortable to YOU. Weight should be secondary IMHO. Lucky for me, the Exos packs fit me like a glove.
    Agree! But man, I want to live the Exos. I wish they would make a custom pack just for me:
    - Atmos frame, suspension
    - Exos pack bag & hip belt pockets
    - 55L total capacity
    - sleeping pad straps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++