WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Start Date Questions.

I was originally planning a July 30th start date and end around September 1st, but I may start July 1st. and end around August 3rd. I've read colorado_rob reply to saltysack post about epic snow levels in Colorado this year. Would a July 1st start be a problem with all of the snow this year starting from Denver to Durango? If so what do I need to plan for that under normal conditions I would not.

Garlic
    Images

In a typical wet year, there'll be lingering snowfields above treeline into July, and damp, muddy conditions below the snowfields. Not Vermont mud, but some.

The snowfields on the CT are typically not dangerous, but may slow you down and add considerable fatigue if you hit one in the afternoon. Postholing can ruin your day. Often it's just a matter of planning your day correctly. Snow hiking can be really fun if you hit it right.

Navigation shouldn't be an issue in July. Others will have broken trail by then and you'll have a path to follow. There are plenty of cairns and posts, too.

I'm thinking mainly of the Ten Mile Range and the Searle/Kokomo Pass areas, which you'll see early in the month.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

This certainly has been an epic snow year so far, but it's way too early to tell what the late June/early July snowpack will be like. For example, the next 10 days look clear and warm and the local weather-persons are calling for a typical mid-winter melt.

The CTF recommends a no earlier than July 1 start for a generic year (or is it the 4th?), and I think you'd be fine planning this, even this epic year. July and September are the two premium months IMHO in Colorado (along with June, if you like snow climbing, like we do). So I like your change in plans personally. We typically don't do much Colorado hiking in August, one of my least favorite months in Colorado. Bugs and thunderstorms! (July will have some of this too). We're heading to Wyoming again this August.

As far as how "bad" the snow could be, you have good odds that "not that bad" is the correct answer. Georgia pass will be your first encounter, and pretty much guaranteed you'll have some up there in early July, but shouldn't slow you down too much. Timing it to hit a snowy section squirrelly early in the morning sometimes helps minimize bad postholing.

The mountain views are also fantastic in July.

Thank you garlic08 and colorado_rob for your help in answering my questions. I am really looking forward to this hike, the videos I've watched from people who've hike the CT were stunning.

Hoping to start June 19- and was having a lot of the same concerns! Hope your trip goes well!
    "Life is either a great adventure- or nothing." -H. Keller

Thank you Moira and I hope yours goes well too. I am sooooo excited about this trip, Colorado looks so beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    ...I'm thinking mainly of the Ten Mile Range and the Searle/Kokomo Pass areas, which you'll see early in the month.
    Yes, I think this is your major consideration. Elk Ridge, Searle & Kokomo passes (Segment 8) was my favorite section of the entire CT because of the views and the proliferation of wildflowers. Even if the snow is down to a manageable level, chances are you'll miss the flowers given your early start.

I hope I don't miss the wild flowers Cookerhiker, the pictures/vids of them I've seen they looked stunning. I also read your book and enjoyed it. May need to re-read it before this hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miles 2 Go View Post
    I hope I don't miss the wild flowers Cookerhiker, the pictures/vids of them I've seen they looked stunning. I also read your book and enjoyed it. May need to re-read it before this hike.
    The peak of the Wildflower season varies from year to year and from place to place, of course, but starting in early July you're probably maximizing you wildflower viewing opportunities for a couple-few weeks into your hike.

Thank you once again colorado_rob, glad to know I'll have a good chance to see some wild flowers.

Back to the original question, trail conditions usually are more dependent upon storm activity in March and April than what happens in the winter months. Although there has been a incredible amount of snow this year, it has been more of a Sierra cement variety than the typical powder, and recently there have been record high temperatures between snow events. What is there now might melt off fast, but a big spring snowstorm would probably make a later start date advisable.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

Paraphrasing Yogi Berra,
    Winter isn't over until it's over.
    2015 was an interesting year. About a year's worth of snow fell from late March into early June. The NOBO CDT folks encountered a wall of snow in southern Colorado. Those who could skipped over Colorado and went to Wyoming or Glacier. Scout and Frodo were part of the Hop, Skip and Jump group of 2015.
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=488605
    Watch the weather and be flexible. Good luck!
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++