WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Collegiate Peaks During Thru Hike

I'm planning my thru hike and I want to do both sides of the collegiate peaks loop. Once I finish the east side, I would like to find a transportation service that would take me back up to Twin Lakes to do the west side. Does anyone have any ideas on this? It seems like quite a long way to hitch.

Chaffee shuttle from Salida/monarch to lil past BV then hitch. I'd just do the west. East wasn't anything worth doing in my opinion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Chaffee shuttle from Salida/monarch to lil past BV then hitch. I'd just do the west. East wasn't anything worth doing in my opinion...

After seeing you post on other threads about your experiences last year I am convinced to do the west route.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    After seeing you post on other threads about your experiences last year I am convinced to do the west route.
    Looking back at the east I might be a lil bias as I had several issues i.e. Late start day 1 turned into night hiking, no acclimation time. Day 4 had to carry pup out few miles and spent most of the day getting him to Poncha springs then back to trail for another late afternoon start of night hiking. Finally getting caught in a blizzard on the divide before monarch. If time wasn't a factor I'd hike them both as well as all the close 14ers....a day on trail Is way better than being at work!

Guy on YouTube has a good series on both sides "hurlgoat hiker"

Guy on YouTube has a good series on both sides "hurlgoat hiker"

Yep, I watched a bit of him last night. He did the full loop then hitched from Twin Lakes to Salida (50 miles). That's probably a better idea than my original plan to do the west side, hitch to twin lakes, then do the east side. I do feel like I should do both sides otherwise I'll always feel like I didn't do the whole thing.

If your stopping over in Salida makes more since to do west first do you don't have to back track..

Looking back at the east I might be a lil bias as I had several issues i.e. Late start day 1 turned into night hiking, no acclimation time. Day 4 had to carry pup out few miles and spent most of the day getting him to Poncha springs then back to trail for another late afternoon start of night hiking. Finally getting caught in a blizzard on the divide before monarch. If time wasn't a factor I'd hike them both as well as all the close 14ers....a day on trail Is way better than being at work!

Nah the East is far inferior to the West but you're right, it still beats being at work.
    If the weather is good, go west route.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronthebugbuffet View Post
    Nah the East is far inferior to the West but you're right, it still beats being at work.
    If the weather is good, go west route.
    I'll be quitting my job and I'll essentially be homeless during this. My new job won't start until at least 2 months after I start the trail so I'll have all the time in the world. I'm probably going to find a way to do both sides.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TyCx View Post
    I'll be quitting my job and I'll essentially be homeless during this. My new job won't start until at least 2 months after I start the trail so I'll have all the time in the world. I'm probably going to find a way to do both sides.
    Your choice, but the east side really is boring and the west side is fully recognized as "the Colorado trail". Just a suggestion, there are ample opportunities to add loops and such down in the San Juans, a much better place to spend extra time than on the CT-east collegiate side. Plus, as has been said, you can add a bunch of 14ers. For example, rather than "wasting time" on the CT-east side, you could hike the west side (adding Huron, a fantastic 14er), then loop around the bottom of the Collegiates and pick up Tabaguache and Shavano (a 14er duo) along the southern east side (from the CT on the east). Lots and lots of options in the Collegiates for climbing easy 14ers. Missouri/Belford/Oxford along the top of the east/west loop for another example. You don't mention your start date, also a factor. If you are starting early, there could be lots and lots of leftover snow this year affecting all of your plans, and maybe simply doing the east side is indeed the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Your choice, but the east side really is boring and the west side is fully recognized as "the Colorado trail". Just a suggestion, there are ample opportunities to add loops and such down in the San Juans, a much better place to spend extra time than on the CT-east collegiate side. Plus, as has been said, you can add a bunch of 14ers. For example, rather than "wasting time" on the CT-east side, you could hike the west side (adding Huron, a fantastic 14er), then loop around the bottom of the Collegiates and pick up Tabaguache and Shavano (a 14er duo) along the southern east side (from the CT on the east). Lots and lots of options in the Collegiates for climbing easy 14ers. Missouri/Belford/Oxford along the top of the east/west loop for another example. You don't mention your start date, also a factor. If you are starting early, there could be lots and lots of leftover snow this year affecting all of your plans, and maybe simply doing the east side is indeed the way to go.
    I'm starting on July 10th. So far I've got plans made for Elbert, Massive, San Luis, Princeton, Yale, Columbia. Definitely will look into Tabaguache and Shavano.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TyCx View Post
    I'm starting on July 10th. So far I've got plans made for Elbert, Massive, San Luis, Princeton, Yale, Columbia. Definitely will look into Tabaguache and Shavano.
    Don't forget about huron just off the CT west. And if you poll 14er baggers, i think you'll find Columbia is very near the bottom of most folks favorite 14er lists. Harvard is much cooler and from same trailhead as columbia. July 10th should work, but you will be crossing some hard packed, but tracked out snow on many 14ers. When you're close, check out recent trip and conditions reports on 14ers.com

Definitely recommend Leadville hostel, simple hostel, brown dog coffee and moonlight pizza in Salida if looking to stop in those areas...

++ New Posts ++