WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New York State - Current Camping Regulations?

Hi all, anyone know what the current regulations for camping are for NYS? I'm pretty sure Harriman is designated sites only, but what about the rest of the state? Anyone know?
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Assuming your talking about along the AT? If so, yes it is technically designated sites only. Not that anyone is out checking. NY is pretty easy to make good miles, no issues making it to the next designated area.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Yep, AT. And thanks! I also just called up the ATC, and they gave the same answer, designated sites only. So there you go.

I didn't go back to retrieve the thread when this issue was discussed more than 10 years ago, but I raised some controversy at the time in 2005 when I section-hiked the stretch east of the Hudson River twice.

At the time, the official AT guidebook, written by NYNJ Trail Conference, did not contain any prohibition of "stealth" camping east of the Hudson. On my November section hike, I camped between shelters 3 consecutive nights because there was no rule against it. Shortly afterwards, a new guidebook editon came out and stated that all camping - east and west of the Hudson - was limited to designated sites.

I asked at the time who made this decision and was it "legal" i.e. a state regulation like NJ and CT have on their portion of the AT. I never got a straight answer, leading me to believe that whoever authored the guidebook for the NYNJTC just decided to put this restriction in. I consider it a suggestion more than a rule.

According to the AMC, camping in NY is only permitted at shelters or designated sites, additionally fires are permitted only at designated sites or shelters using the prepared fireplace rings.

State government may not have codified camping regulations along the AT, but its not necessary in many instances. The designated camp site rule can be initiated by the National Park Service or the maintaining authority of the trail for a number of reasons, which can be seasonal, temporary, or permanent. I would trust current guide books (especially the ATC publication) if they maintain portions of the AT are designated site camping only, bans on open fires, tainted water source notifications, and other issues related to camping.

The AT in the northwestern section of CT was nearly closed to public use as backpackers considered the fire ban there as a suggestion. The last fire nearly put us on the road from Salisbury to the Racebrook Falls access trail were it not for some skillful negotiation by the local AMC Chapter. Unless its an emergency of some sort, local rules should be observed to preserve the trail.

New York provides ten sanctioned places to camp in 89.8 trail miles -- eight shelters, one campsite and one tenting area. There is a gap of 21.7 miles between sanctioned sites between Hemlock Springs Campsite and Shenandoah Tenting Area (thank goodness for the hiker friendly Graymoor Friary in this stretch). There is another gap of 14.3 miles between Wildcat and Fingerboard shelters. It is also illegal to hitch in New York making it more of a hassle to get to some of the off-trail lodging options.

Contrast this with Connecticut which has thirteen sanctioned sites in 50.1 trail miles (six shelters and seven campsites) and no stretch longer than 7.4 miles between sanctioned camping options. Some of those longer distances in New York may not be difficult for NOBO or SOBO thru-hikers by the time they get there, but to many section hikers straight off the couch it can be a big deal.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    New York provides ten sanctioned places to camp in 89.8 trail miles -- eight shelters, one campsite and one tenting area. There is a gap of 21.7 miles between sanctioned sites between Hemlock Springs Campsite and Shenandoah Tenting Area (thank goodness for the hiker friendly Graymoor Friary in this stretch). There is another gap of 14.3 miles between Wildcat and Fingerboard shelters. It is also illegal to hitch in New York making it more of a hassle to get to some of the off-trail lodging options.

Contrast this with Connecticut which has thirteen sanctioned sites in 50.1 trail miles (six shelters and seven campsites) and no stretch longer than 7.4 miles between sanctioned camping options. Some of those longer distances in New York may not be difficult for NOBO or SOBO thru-hikers by the time they get there, but to many section hikers straight off the couch it can be a big deal.
    In fact, hitch hiking is absolutely legal in NY. Standing in the "Roadway", where cars and trucks go, is illegal, and a really bad idea.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

This may sound strange but not so for those familiar with this stretch (east of the Hudson River) in the fall. The reason I couldn't make the designated places on a November hike was that the dry slippery leaves slowed me down. Many downhills, even gradual ones, were slow-going or I'd find myself on my butt. Looking at my journal, I noted this typical sentence; "...Deep beds of freshly fallen oak leaves continue to slow us down, particularly on the descents. And such “descents” were normally easy, routine..."

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    the dry slippery leaves slowed me down.
    I know those leaves well. Harriman State Park in the fall is like hiking on an ice skating rink sometimes. Pretty, but slick.

As if the leaves aren't bad enough, the acorns under them can act like ball bearings!
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

New York provides ten sanctioned places to camp in 89.8 trail miles -- eight shelters, one campsite and one tenting area. There is a gap of 21.7 miles between sanctioned sites between Hemlock Springs Campsite and Shenandoah Tenting Area (thank goodness for the hiker friendly Graymoor Friary in this stretch).
    You would also have the option of renting a campsite at Fahnestock State Park, which is right off Route 301 (and not terribly far from where the trail crosses the road) in that stretch.
    That still makes it about 16 mi. coming from the South, but a bit shorter and another option - might even be better for someone coming from the North as they could add that extra 5 mi to a day to make the following day a bit easier.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    In fact, hitch hiking is absolutely legal in NY. Standing in the "Roadway", where cars and trucks go, is illegal, and a really bad idea.
    New York State has no law against hitchhiking. If memory serves, Orange, Rockland, Westchester, Putnam and Dutchess Counties all do. And that's where the Trail goes.

It's interesting that New York's drivers' manual says that it's illegal to hitchhike or pick up hitchhikers, when no such law exists. (That's why all the cops "know" that it's illegal.)

Also, the right-of-way of a two-lane road legally extends two rods (33 feet) on either side of the center line, so you wind up having to be way off the shoulder to not be in the 'roadway' if the cop is having a bad day.

That said, ubi non accusator, ibi non iudex.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I never had issues finding shelter space in the DAKs, except at Marcy Pond itself.

Bear canisters are required in the eastern high peaks. http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7225.html

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    New York State has no law against hitchhiking. If memory serves, Orange, Rockland, Westchester, Putnam and Dutchess Counties all do. And that's where the Trail goes.

It's interesting that New York's drivers' manual says that it's illegal to hitchhike or pick up hitchhikers, when no such law exists. (That's why all the cops "know" that it's illegal.)

Also, the right-of-way of a two-lane road legally extends two rods (33 feet) on either side of the center line, so you wind up having to be way off the shoulder to not be in the 'roadway' if the cop is having a bad day.

That said, ubi non accusator, ibi non iudex.
    Do counties in NY even have that authority? Worth checking out. Also, the roadway is specifically defined to exclude the berm or shoulder. "Roadway" does not = "highway".
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

++ New Posts ++