WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Headlamp

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    I have one I picked up at Lowes hardware store... pretty sure it's the same thing as this but a different brand....like a lowes store brand I think. It's ok and I like it for what it is....but I don't think it's great for lightweight packing....just doesn't feel durable to me.
    Not positive but the ones they sell are made by Nite Ize. They sell the funky carabiners and such too. I guess I need to look as it is hard to find micro usb ones at any stores around here.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Since this is a backpacking forum and not a Baja racing forum and you don't suggest that you are trying to light up a super bowl stadium, I am suspicious that there is something going on with your current light that is keeping it from producing 200 lumens if that is truly the light you have. Your car headlights are only about 500 lumens and most of us get along fine hiking trails and making camp with less than 100 lumens. And, Petzl lights are good quality, in general. If your current light is an older model Tikka, it is likely more like 100 lumens than 200 lumens since they just upped the light output significantly this season across the whole brand.

If you haven't put new batteries in your current light, and your current light is 100 lumens or more, I would play around with batteries and maybe compare your current light output with the display models at your REI to see if you really want more than 200 lumens. Maybe there is a setting on your light that you haven't figured out yet that gets you more power? Going over 300 lumens is expensive and complete overkill unless your are route-finding the side of a mountain hundreds of yards ahead of you.

For what it's worth, I use 900 lumens on my mountain bike for night riding down hill at speed over technical terrain. I have NEVER used more than 100 lumens backpacking or over 200 lumens mountaineering! And, I don't use over 200 lumens on my mountain bike until I turn downhill.

Good luck.
    I have been using a Lux Pro 210 lumen headlamp I got at Lowe's. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lux-Pro-210...a-ac22742fcbe8

Prior to that I used an Energizer that was supposedly rated at 100ish lumens. It was sufficient to hike at night, but it was not sufficient to identify the critters I encountered on the AT while night hiking - they were maybe 40 feet away and all I could see were the white reflections of their eyes and approximately what size they were. That is why I went to the 210 lumen light. On low power, the batteries last a long time, but it has a high power for when it is needed.

That said, I use the 210 lumen light on my mountain bike riding at night, and the medium setting (105 lumen?) is bright enough for riding on roads - AND if I don't have it pointed down at the road about 20 to 30 feet in front of me, oncoming cars will flash their high beams at me.

I believe one brand's claim of 100 lumens may vary from the brightness of another brand's 100 lumens.

2.17% and counting
    Images

I don't believe you have to buy from REI to get the 200 lumen Zipka any longer.

https://www.amazon.com/Petzl-Headlma...rds=zipka&th=1

I love my Princeton Tec Vizz. I have the old 150 lumen version, but it's now up to 205 lumens. It has 1 white LED for the main beam, 2 white LEDs that are dimmable and 2 red LEDs. Waterproof, made in the USA and lifetime warranty. It can also be locked so there's no accidental activation in your pack. Runs on 3xAAA.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    . . . Petzl is in bed with REI...just sayin...
    I swear, those darn French!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I'm using a cygolyte hotshot 50 I got at REI for my bike but a great little light I can clip on my shoulder strap

50 lumens and just over an ounce. USB charegable

Default Headlamp

Many, if not most all, of Princeton Tec's models are made in the USA. My family has at least 4 in use and we've been pleased with all of them. I like to think of 90ish lumens as a minimum but I do a fair amount of night hiking and my eyes are getting older...

My first post.
    I gave up reading after about halfway through, so maybe I'm repeating.*
    Up to 10 days for 2 hours/day with good power = lots of battery power. You might need to carry a spare, so no built-in rechargeable batteries.

Typical capacity in mAh from Wikipedia for Lithium ion batteries:

• Note: I see people advertising much bigger numbers for all of these batteries, but I think the Wiki numbers might be more realistic.
    • AAA 1.5V 340 mAh (size=10x44mm)
    • AA 1.5V 700-800 mAh (size=14x53mm)
    • 18650 3.7V 1500-3500 mAh (size=18.6x65.2mm)

The 18650's are what I use on my road bike. I got them thru Amazon, $3 each, 3000 mAh. They really last. When I buy a flashlight, I include "18650" in the search.

I don't have a specific headlamp. You can figure that out for yourself, if you think this matters.

* I kept clicking on links and finding AAA and "built in" -

Rugged, reliable, 280 lumen, long battery life: Zebralight H52W with Eneloop batteries. A bit expensive at around $55, but worth it. Will probably last a lifetime.

And it only uses ONE AA battery (get the Eneloop!)

Quote Originally Posted by gravitino View Post
    Rugged, reliable, 280 lumen, long battery life: Zebralight H52W paired with Eneloop batteries. A bit expensive at around $55, but worth it. Will probably last a lifetime.

My choice is the Bushnell Pro High Performance Rechargeable Headlamp, 300 Lumens (here at Walmart). Plenty bright by my standards, under $30, and USB rechargeable. The only spare battery I plan to carry is an Anker powerbank. That'll charge both my phone and the headlamp. The phone itself is my backup light. Having to carry extra disposable batteries, and then finding a place which lets you properly dispose of those spent batteries in trail towns, seems like a waste when I'm already going to need to keep my phone (with AT Guide PDF, maps, GPS, camera, and entertainment) powered.

Princeton Tec was at Trail Days last year and was taking old headlamps in on straight trades for brand new P.T. ones. They took any brand and traded it for an upgraded version of theirs. Don't see them on the vendor list for this year but you never know. Look for them in the repair area by tent city. I had one of the UL Petzls and it was not nearly enough light for proper night hiking IMO. The upgraded one worked great.

Journal Entries
    Images

Last year I bought at least $5 worth of watch battery powered head lamps at $1 each. One to use and 4-5 sets of spare batteries.
    Wayne
    I have a whole basket of these sitting in my gear closet, I would pick up one or two everytime I went to wal mart and have accumulated quite a few of them.
    They actually remind me of A popular other brand that sells for about 30Xs more than these do.

Currently I use A petzel elite at a whopping 26 lumens and uder an ounce.
    does the trick for me but nowhere near the lumens OP is looking for.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Quote Originally Posted by left52side View Post
    I have a whole basket of these sitting in my gear closet, I would pick up one or two everytime I went to wal mart and have accumulated quite a few of them.
    They actually remind me of A popular other brand that sells for about 30Xs more than these do.

Currently I use A petzel elite at a whopping 26 lumens and uder an ounce.
    does the trick for me but nowhere near the lumens OP is looking for.
    Since the original post I've added a couple more. I noticed a week or 2 ago that Walmart had a new supply and still $1.
    I also found a lifetime supply of the 2032 batteries at a garage sale for a couple bucks.
    Life is good.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I used a three AAA Black Diamond on my thru hike and I used it quite a bit as I did a LOT of night hiking. I'd buy batteries by 8 or 10 pack. I like the idea of a USB rechargeable, but only if they can recharge while walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobkirk View Post
    My first post.
    I gave up reading after about halfway through, so maybe I'm repeating.*
    Up to 10 days for 2 hours/day with good power = lots of battery power. You might need to carry a spare, so no built-in rechargeable batteries.

Typical capacity in mAh from Wikipedia for Lithium ion batteries:

• Note: I see people advertising much bigger numbers for all of these batteries, but I think the Wiki numbers might be more realistic.
    • AAA 1.5V 340 mAh (size=10x44mm)
    • AA 1.5V 700-800 mAh (size=14x53mm)
    • 18650 3.7V 1500-3500 mAh (size=18.6x65.2mm)

The 18650's are what I use on my road bike. I got them thru Amazon, $3 each, 3000 mAh. They really last. When I buy a flashlight, I include "18650" in the search.

I don't have a specific headlamp. You can figure that out for yourself, if you think this matters.

* I kept clicking on links and finding AAA and "built in" -
    While I love the lights that use 18650's, this is a backpacking forum and I doubt you will see anyone on a long distance hike carrying a light that uses this large battery. Also, the appeal of AA and AAA is the availability in every single small town store along the trail. I am not thinking that you will see too many 18650 batteries in a convenience store. Weight is another issue with the lights that are larger.
    When I hike, I use the Black Diamond Spot but as a back-up, I carry a small single AA Fenix flashlight. (I would have to second guess this on a true long distance hike) It is around 100 lm so it's enough if I have to use it to night hike.

As mentioned above many times, a 200 lm headlamp, unless poorly designed, should be more than enough for anyone's needs on the AT.

I recommend getting one with a rechargeable battery. I went with the Petzl TIKKA XP with AAA batteries and while I like the light, I am kicking myself a little bit for the decision now since I can recharge a LI battery from the power brick that I am already carrying for my phone. (There's no battery status so the only way to be sure I have power for my light is to carry extras.) Not a big deal I guess, but it's one more thing that I'd prefer not to have to plan for and carry.

I have a different take....and prefer AA or AAA over rechargeable.
    When it goes dead (or gets low) I can swap out the batteries and in 2 minutes I'm back up and running.
    and with AA or AAA I can get them at any dollar store, drug store, or gas station

I guess I also became a bit biased against rechargables back in the day of nicads, with their memory problems,shorter life spans, etc....

The new Storm is 350 lumens vs 250 on the older version. Can go directly to red by holding the button down two seconds. So new u have to get them at Black Diamond site. 49.00

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++