Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Scare bear ive also spent some time in the middle east and i have no idea what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooobie View Post
    Scare bear ive also spent some time in the middle east and i have no idea what you are talking about.
    The Middle Eastern saline thingy wasn't posted by me....

100 degrees IS extreme heat for a dog, and that's is assuming the dog is in the shade. In the sun and ambient temp of 100 degrees, ole Murph is going to suffer, greatly...a dog's internal temperature is between 102 and 103 degrees. Dogs don't sweat. They cool by using active internal evaporative cooling...i.e. panting. At temps above 102, the dog should not exercise because it must use all it's energy(panting) trying to keep it's body temp at or below the ambient temp and cannot afford to generate energy(heat) by other physical activity, or it will suffer hyperthermia and die. I'm not sure what kind of super-canine you think you've got in Murphy, but he's just a dog...

Wow, thank you for all the information. Its like you have opened my eyes to the dangers of bringing a dog. I wonder how previous dogs hiked the trail. it sounds like they were facing certain death. The bomb dogs in afghanistan work all day in 120-130 i wonder what kinda miracle formula the government gives them.

you seem to know the capabilities of a dog far better than I sir. I guess ill just leave Murphy at home.

No, the bomb dogs don't work in 130 degree heat in Afghanistan because it doesn't get that hot over there. But, nice try. Maybe you were thinking of Iraq? How long do bomb dog's work in 130 degree heat? Not very long, at all.

http://www.military.com/NewContent/0...081105,00.html

Here's the deal. You have a dog, but that doesn't make you automatically knowledgeable in canine physiology or canine health. You think that people bring their dogs on PCT desert treks all the time, and you gladly ignore others who have been telling you "no, they don't". You think that you've got it all figured out and you gladly ignore others who have been telling you "no, you don't". So, if you want some validation for your foolish notion of taking Murphy on a PCT thru-hike, don't bring it on WB, BPL, or anywhere else where people actually know more than you about this topic. Don't get upset when everyone who knows better tells you so. Be mature enough to realize that if everyone is telling you it is a bad idea, it just might be so.

I mean i only know for a fact because i was there.

Here's the deal. You dont know anything about me. You dont know if i have worked with dogs my entire life, or went and recued a dog willy nilly and wanna go walk with it. Im not upset i expected this if anything. its the same old song and dance. go look at any thread in the dog forum. I mean, things were civil until you and samsquanch showed up.

I simply dont care that you think its hard on a dog or they cant do it. if this makes me sadistic so be it. believe me if the worst thing i do in this life is triple crown with a dog as a hiking partner i think i did pretty good.

I simply dont care that you think its hard on a dog or they cant do it. if this makes me sadistic so be it. believe me if the worst thing i do in this life is triple crown with a dog as a hiking partner i think i did pretty good.
    Wow, that's a really selfish and arrogant attitude. I feel sorry for your dog.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Default There is no way a dog can do a thru hike.

There is absolutely no way a dog can do thru hike....... wait, many have.

There is no way that YOUR breed could handle the stress...... wait, you probably have the perfect breed.

There is no way that YOUR dog could do a thru.... wait, your did.

There is no way that a dog can handle the heat of SoCal...... wait, I met several that did.

There is no way that a dog could hike the PCT..... wait, at least Trauma's dog did it.

While I believe a healthy challenge to the wisdom of an inexperienced hiker taking a inexperienced dog on a thru is warranted, the OP is WAY beyond this point. He has been there, seen it and done it. His only questions were related to specific things on the PCT and yet many who have spent little if any time on the PCT weigh in with frankly some crappy and unsolicited advice.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

I think I'll hike the PCT with a cat. The water crossings in the Sierras will definitely be interesting... and possibly painful.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

You have me all figured out Slo-go. Common to see you in the dog threads bringing nothing to the conversation but negativity.

Malto, I mean i feel like what you said isnt hard to understand. im not inexperienced, my dog isnt inexperienced, if something bad happens i get off the trail... its not like im on the moon lol.

Carl theres a good blog of a dude hiking AT with a cat. i bet it was good for shelters.

I will be boarding Murphy in the sierras. with the year we are having i cant be concerned with getting her across safely.

I'll be doing a SOB section in Oregon starting in August. I hope to meet you and your pup.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Ill keep my eyes peeled for you if im there, ive been known to get stuck on a mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    There is absolutely no way a dog can do thru hike....... wait, many have.

There is no way that YOUR breed could handle the stress...... wait, you probably have the perfect breed.

There is no way that YOUR dog could do a thru.... wait, your did.

There is no way that a dog can handle the heat of SoCal...... wait, I met several that did.

There is no way that a dog could hike the PCT..... wait, at least Trauma's dog did it.

While I believe a healthy challenge to the wisdom of an inexperienced hiker taking a inexperienced dog on a thru is warranted, the OP is WAY beyond this point. He has been there, seen it and done it. His only questions were related to specific things on the PCT and yet many who have spent little if any time on the PCT weigh in with frankly some crappy and unsolicited advice.
    I mean that all makes sense, but then there's this:

Im not trying to take away from the deaths on mountains an in NH and wherever. But in most cases its because they had no idea what they were doing and shouldnt be up there anyway.

The heat isnt an issue, i have hiked in 100 lbs of gear in 130 degrees for 6 month. The desert is no threat to me.
    Woobie is not living in a reality the rest of us are occupying, as (I shouldn't have to say this, but I will) there is nowhere on the planet that comes anywhere near those temperatures for that period of time, and beyond that, why would anyone be doing this? Investigative journalism? Massochism? I know it isn't the armed forces, they don't make a habit of marching platoons of soldiers to and fro on desert expeditions with full gear. I hope for his sake he is merely a fabricator of stories to demonstrate his supposed 'expertise' in this field of one man desert exploration, because I fear for this poor dog and his delusional owner otherwise. From everything I have seen, there is no reasoning with the self-propelled entity known as Woobie.

Then again, maybe he is just entertaining himself with some trolling.....

To address the central theme of your repeated rhetorical questions, Malto; yes a dog can make the PCT trek, but I think the vast majority of posters here are broaching the quandary of: should one bring their dog on the PCT?

I don't have the knowledge required to make an accurate assessment, but based merely on reading Woobie's posts on this site, my answer is unequivocally:

This one shouldn't.

No it wasnt for 6 months. probably more like two months because you know, seasons. im sorry that you are putting me in a situation where i have to break it down to a point where you cant twist it to suit your agenda.

But i promise you those are the temperatures i faced.

.... I simply dont care that you think its hard on a dog or they cant do it. if this makes me sadistic so be it. believe me if the worst thing i do in this life is triple crown with a dog as a hiking partner i think i did pretty good.
    This sums it up well.

No it wasnt for 6 months. probably more like two months because you know, seasons. im sorry that you are putting me in a situation where i have to break it down to a point where you cant twist it to suit your agenda.

2 months, 6 months, what's the difference with the truth, right?

130 degrees everyday for 2 months? Never has happened on earth since homo sapiens stood upright. Where was this? Afghanistan? Not. I already called you on that.

What year did you complete your AT thru with Murphy? And, what was your trail name?

close to that in Saudia. My parents were at Khamis next to the empty sector and it would get close to that. Depends if you measure the moon day heat in the sun for your measurements.

I don't have an agenda, I just quote what you write, and then you fall to pieces trying to explain it. Seems like the only one with an agenda here is you and your constantly shifting stories and rationalizations.

You are the one constantly playing the victim and claiming moral high ground, I haven't claimed to be anything else other than someone with an objective opinion.

Seriously though, get yourself together if you are going to take that dog with you.

Ok see heres some pictures of soldiers standing next to thermometers. 140 Degrees Umm Qasr (Camp Bucca) Iraq 001.jpg555851.jpg1165198-M.jpgamd-heintz.jpginthesun.jpg

So now that we know that you dont know anything about the armed services lets go ahead and debunk that one. Since google cant pull up temps in a 3rd world wasteland lets go ahead and drop that. Im sorry that all you have is a search bar to harass people with. but im done justifying myself to you. because honestly its not worth my time. i wanted to say ive been in 140 but you would never believe that right? so if anything i lied to you about the truth of the heat which i couldnt expect someone like you to understand. you think walking on a well beaten path is a challenge.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++