WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone use the sun tactics charger on the CT?

Looking for battery pack alternatives as not planning on spending much time stopped in town to recharge...I can get 2-3 days from phone in airplane mode but use for music, gps and photos...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10-K of WhiteBlaze used that charger for his PCT thru. Give him a shout.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    10-K of WhiteBlaze used that charger for his PCT thru. Give him a shout.
    Wayne

Thx wayne

Images

I have a suntactics S5 solar panel and a goal zero flip 10 battery. It worked fabulously on the Colorado Trail. I'd hike with the solar panel on top of my pack with the battery down inside my pack to keep it cool - just snake a USB extension cord into your pack. the battery would fully charge every day, charged my phone at night.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    I have a suntactics S5 solar panel and a goal zero flip 10 battery. It worked fabulously on the Colorado Trail. I'd hike with the solar panel on top of my pack with the battery down inside my pack to keep it cool - just snake a USB extension cord into your pack. the battery would fully charge every day, charged my phone at night.
    Thx
    Thinking might be worth carrying rather than a higher heavier mah battery...

Images

There's a guy on youtube named Hurlgoat who filmed his entire thru (45 days worth), and I see some sort of solar panel on his pack in every vid. You maybe able to touch base with him by commenting on one of his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zj8NODhjd9Zjru

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    There's a guy on youtube named Hurlgoat who filmed his entire thru (45 days worth), and I see some sort of solar panel on his pack in every vid. You maybe able to touch base with him by commenting on one of his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zj8NODhjd9Zjru
    Thx will do

We used a Suntactics charger on the AZT. It did a great job, but about 500 miles into the hike, The USB connection on the top of the panel began failing, and had to be taped to still make a connection. The USB cable is very hard to stabilize on the pack.

image.jpeg

After thre hike, the unit with the bad connector was repaired at no charge, and we asked Suntactics to install the replacement one upside down. Then one of us got another unit and requested that it be built that way. This makes it possible tape the USB cable to the bottom of the collector and prevents it from wearing
    This is a Suntactics with the reversed USB connector. If you get one I highly recommend that you get it set up this way.
    image.jpeg
    Last edited by bearcreek; 03-17-2017 at 19:37.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    We used a Suntactics charger on the AZT. It did a great job, but about 500 miles into the hike, The the USB connection on the top of the panel began failing, and had to be taped to still make a connection. The USB cable is very hard to stabilize on the pack.

image.jpeg

After thre hike, the unit with the bad connector was repaired at no charge, and we asked Suntactics to install the replacement one upside down. Then one of us got another unit and requested that it be built that way. This makes it possible tape the USB cable to the bottom of the collector and prevents it from wearing
    This is a Suntactics with the reversed USB connector. If you get one I highly recommend that you get it set up this way.
    image.jpeg
    Great info thx....after talking w 10k and guys at suntactics looks like I really should use panel to keep battery back up charged while moving as the iPhone is more fussy with the shade etc. maybe plug into phone directly on a longer lunch break etc...

We had better luck charging a external battery to charge the phone. When connected directly to the phone with the phone on, the phone would beep every time you moved in or out of the shade.
    Last edited by bearcreek; 03-17-2017 at 19:33.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    We had better luck charging a external battery to charge the phone. When connected directly to the phone with the phone on, the phone would beep every time you moved in or out of the shade.
    Exactly what 10k said as well as guys at suntactics said...debating just getting a 13oz 20mah charger vs solar and 6-10mah same wt....like idea of not having to overnight in town to recharge battery though...assume Co and Az have about same summer sunny days.....

Apparently phones are finicky about getting a certain amount of juice to charge vs a battery back up not so much but will take anything. I learned something new today...

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Apparently phones are finicky about getting a certain amount of juice to charge vs a battery back up not so much but will take anything. I learned something new today...

I read that awhile back. Some phones will stop charging if the voltage flutters and not restart automatically. Charge a battery. Then you can charge the phone rain or shine.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

On the PCT the Suntactics charger was amazing when I wasn't moving and could position it in sunlight.

Hiking though, no matter where I put it on my pack, my phone (iPhone) would start going ding - ding - ding - ding as it started and stopped charging. Hugely annoying. I ditched it at Kennedy Meadows and switched to a battery. It wasn't a problem to find electricity often enough to charge the battery.

Battery weighs a little bit more... pour out a cup of water to compensate.

edited to add: I was using Apple lightning cables so it wasn't a cabling issue.

I've used the Suntactics on several thru-hikes/expeditions with good success. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on the CT.

...looks like I really should use panel to keep battery back up charged while moving as the iPhone is more fussy with the shade etc. maybe plug into phone directly on a longer lunch break etc... I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    On the PCT the Suntactics charger was amazing when I wasn't moving and could position it in sunlight.

Hiking though, no matter where I put it on my pack, my phone (iPhone) would start going ding - ding - ding - ding as it started and stopped charging. Hugely annoying. I ditched it at Kennedy Meadows and switched to a battery. It wasn't a problem to find electricity often enough to charge the battery.

Battery weighs a little bit more... pour out a cup of water to compensate.

edited to add: I was using Apple lightning cables so it wasn't a cabling issue.
    After we spoke I contacted Suntactics and they said iPhones are finicky.....much better off charging a 6-10,000mah battery then charge phone off that at night....I'm thinking I'll try this as I need the solar charger for sup trips and already have a couple batteries...

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    I've used the Suntactics on several thru-hikes/expeditions with good success. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on the CT.

...looks like I really should use panel to keep battery back up charged while moving as the iPhone is more fussy with the shade etc. maybe plug into phone directly on a longer lunch break etc... I agree.
    Thx I'm going to give it a shot.....if it works for you on those amazing treks surely it will work for me for few weeks.....I need it on the water as well....going to order as Bearcreek recommended as I get what he saying.....

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Yeah, carrying a solar charger and a battery then I have something else to keep up with. Like I said via PM, I carry a 20k mAh battery that'll last way longer than I ever need.

I just did a weight check. My 20k mAh battery weighs 3.01 oz less than my 10k mAh battery with Suntactics (without case) charger together.

https://www.anker.com/products/A1271021 - weigh the solar charger and 10 mAh battery against this and consider now you've got 1 more thing to keep up with.

Suntactics charger, no case - 8.3 oz http://imgur.com/a/zCgTV
    Last edited by 10-K; 03-19-2017 at 10:42.

All good info. Thanks. Chris Berry hiking the AZT as we speak is carrying this solar charger. Another possible resource to reach out to. He is posting to YouTube.

I used the suntactics charger on the CT and for my Tour from denver to dallas after the hike. I got good use out of it for sure. You cant just plug into your phone, you have to charge a battery bank then charge off of that. I would honestly recommend just getting a battery bank instead if you are hiking the trail.
    I hike with a dog. Please, tell me why i shouldn't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++