WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default salad bars along the trail

Hey guys and gals. Who has some info on some killer salad bars along the trail? They are probably few and far between but any info would be greatly appreciated. It would be sweet to stock up on some greens while in town and view it as an all you can eat extravaganza. Thanks for your time and effort!

Three-time Thruhiker Dorothy Laker used to carry a head of cabbage with her and munch on the trail.

Golden Corrals count?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Grocery store half mile from the trail on Hwy 2 in Williamstown, MA has a killer-diller salad bar/deli.

DIY. Supermarkets. Hiawassee, GA, Franklin, NC & Hapers Ferry, MD for sure. No doubt there are more.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Welcome to WB Backus. Here's another option applicable for hikes on trails like the AT where water sources are frequent with noted reliability. TRAIL SPROUTS. Grow them as you hike. They are super nutritious and easy. here's a gift that was bought for me I use and highly recommend. https://outdoorherbivore.com/trail-sprout-kit/ You can also but the hemp fabric bag and organic sprouting seed separately. The hemp bag has antibacterial and durability properties. Saved a little wt by replacing the stock biner with a more secure lighter wt Night Z double S biner.

Images

one word of warning- apparently in south/western PA "salad" is a bunch of pickled stuff out of a jr on top of iceberg lettuce out of a bag. found this to be the case in 3 different spots between pen mar and boiling springs.

Elmer's Sunnybank Inn in Hot Springs is not a salad bar per say but meals, which are usually vegetarian, and amply sized portions, are virtually always served with hugh scrumptious salads

Food City grocery stores usually have a big salad bar as do most Pizza Hut and Pizza Plus. You'll find them in the south.

I think someone should list on this website all the AYCE buffets along the trail.

and on the subject of Golden Corral The ads for it on TV sure sound enticing but sadly there are none close to where I live!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Elmer's Sunnybank Inn in Hot Springs is not a salad bar per say but meals, which are usually vegetarian, and amply sized portions, are virtually always served with hugh scrumptious salads
    Fortunately, for the calorie deficient hikers, The Diner in Hot Springs serves real food.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    I think someone should list on this website all the AYCE buffets along the trail.

and on the subject of Golden Corral The ads for it on TV sure sound enticing but sadly there are none close to where I live!
    You would be disappointed

Journal Entries
    Images

If you leave in April and hike through August, the AT itself is a salad bar. A wide variety of wild onion, wild garlic, wild carrots, day lilies, dandelions, broadleaf plantain, and purslane are common just about everywhere. Also, kudzu is edible. If you are going to use it as a salad green, only use the tenderest young leaves. But it can also be boiled and eaten with a dash of soy sauce as a nice Asian side dish. If you really want get the benefits of fiber, phytonutrients, and trace minerals from a plant based diet, you're not going to have any trouble finding it free along the trail. I would supplement that with store bought when possible. Cauliflower keeps well and is relatively light. Kale would also do. When I do my thru, I'm going to be a true omnivore. I'll eat everything from collard greens to Snickers bars; half-gallons of ice cream to apples and oranges; mushrooms and onions and chicken fried steak; bacon and butternut squash.

Quote Originally Posted by Bockus View Post
    Hey guys and gals. Who has some info on some killer salad bars along the trail? They are probably few and far between but any info would be greatly appreciated. It would be sweet to stock up on some greens while in town and view it as an all you can eat extravaganza. Thanks for your time and effort!

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Fortunately, for the calorie deficient hikers, The Diner in Hot Springs serves real food.
    Wayne

Uhh, salads, given the wide range of food that is called "salad", and vegetarian food can be caloric dense and include vastly needed nutrients.

Why the pessimistic anti vegetarian position every time V when it's just presented as an option? This is in line with the OP's question don't you think?

Images

Sunday Brunch at the Bear Mountain Inn has some nice salad items. Pricey, but tasty.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

you can eat anything you want.....if you put it on a bed of lettuce..and call it a salad.

Images

The Pizza Hut in Daleville, VA had a salad bar. It is very close to where the AT crosses the road.
    LT 2013, AT NOBO 2015, MSGT 2016, PCT 2017/2018

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    If you leave in April and hike through August, the AT itself is a salad bar. A wide variety of wild onion, wild garlic, wild carrots, day lilies, dandelions, broadleaf plantain, and purslane are common just about everywhere. Also, kudzu is edible. If you are going to use it as a salad green, only use the tenderest young leaves. But it can also be boiled and eaten with a dash of soy sauce as a nice Asian side dish. If you really want get the benefits of fiber, phytonutrients, and trace minerals from a plant based diet, you're not going to have any trouble finding it free along the trail. I would supplement that with store bought when possible. Cauliflower keeps well and is relatively light. Kale would also do. When I do my thru, I'm going to be a true omnivore. I'll eat everything from collard greens to Snickers bars; half-gallons of ice cream to apples and oranges; mushrooms and onions and chicken fried steak; bacon and butternut squash.
    More options +1

Salad bar at the Golden Corral in Gatlinburg but the better one is at Park Grill with higher end salad bar choices.

Good salads are served up at Skylands in Shenandoah NP which you'll be walking right by on the AT. Good entrees as well.

If you do a work for stay at the AMC huts they usually serve meals with large salads which you'll crave at that pt in your AT hike.

Applebees in N Conway NH has OK salads.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Salad bar at the Golden Corral in Gatlinburg but the better one is at Park Grill with higher end salad bar choices.

Good salads are served up at Skylands in Shenandoah NP which you'll be walking right by on the AT. Good entrees as well.

If you do a work for stay at the AMC huts they usually serve meals with large salads which you'll crave at that pt in your AT hike.

Applebees in N Conway NH has OK salads.
    the salads at skylands i found to be typical "fancy" salad- some sort of somewhat atypical greenery with like a couple crumbs of some other sort of things, drenched in dressing. there might have been cheese too. thats not salad in my book.

applebees salads are rubbery old reheated bacon and more cheese dumped on top of wilted greens. i think there might be tomats too, maybe some old slices off egg that are falling apart. ie about as gross as everything else at applebees. i cant imagine going that far off trail to have one of those salads.

i think i saw a ruby tuesday near-ish the trail once (well as near a north conway is to the trail) thats a decent salad bar, although the recent "improvements" hardly are.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++