WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    ...Could it be that neither Judaism nor Catholicism actively seeks recruits?...
    Judaism does not as a matter of their faith proselytize as they see themselves as set apart as God's chosen people by birthright and are to remain 'pure blood', non-jews of faith may be steered towards Noahide law.

OTOH With Christianity, the works of Jesus instruct to proselytize, Catholics have done this in the past, and as such caused things like the conquistadors who used force, threat of death to get converts, so perhaps taht's why Catholics don't stress it too much.

Islam also has a convert the infidel (=nonbeliever) section of the Quran, though I have not really studied it, IIRC it goes both ways, to do it and also let them be, depending on where you look in the Quran.

Imho Christians who have been taught right shouldnt overly offend many by offering to share with them.

What about an AT psychologist? What if the "reason" I'm in the woods is because I'm trying to recover from the trauma my priest caused when I was an alter boy? Not everyone finds comfort in talking with someone who is an agent for an invisible man in the sky who loves you, but will torture you for eternity if you don't comply with his wishes. Most people would agree that a Father who tortures his children by burning them needs to be evaluated.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkie View Post
    What about an AT psychologist? What if the "reason" I'm in the woods is because I'm trying to recover from the trauma my priest caused when I was an alter boy? Not everyone finds comfort in talking with someone who is an agent for an invisible man in the sky who loves you, but will torture you for eternity if you don't comply with his wishes. Most people would agree that a Father who tortures his children by burning them needs to be evaluated.
    LOL, excellent.

I remember being told as a 10-year-old that if I didn't get 'onboard with the lord' I would burn for all eternity in a lake of fire. It took me about 10 more years to finally shake that off.

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    Imho Christians who have been taught right shouldnt overly offend many by offering to share with them.
    Overly offend? So, its ok if they minorly offend people? I didn't know there was a "wrong" way to teach Christianity. Except for Catholics v. Protestants....but that's for another thread...

The whole point is that unless they are going to wear a tshirt that says "CHRISTIAN MINISTER-TALK TO ME", they are going to have to engage perfect strangers in religious conversation. To me, that is offensive. Period. Overly, bigly or slightly, it is offensive to me. Much like I don't care for a stranger coming up to me on the trail and wanting to talk politics, I don't want a stranger "ministering" to me. As another poster put it, if I need religious ministering, I will find a/my church in the next town. I don't need mobile proselytizing on the AT. It offends me. It offends many. Keep your politics/religion off the trail and in your home/church. Worship on the trail, if you must, but stay the F away from me with any religion. Or politics. Even if we agree on it. Keep. It. To. Yourself.

Will dude be able to turn water into wine? That is my favorite magic trick in the book. Could be walking trail magic!

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    I wish I was that smart.
    Not possible, "Smarted Wb'zr ever"
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    As long as the "sharing" is related to trail craft and other issues common to the activity. Not everyone is christian, so its usually best to leave sleeping dogs lay and avoid that along with politics when meeting new people. I have seen folks, though perhaps well intentioned, offend others literally within minutes of their first meeting going into these two areas alone. Much better to stay with more important debates like putting coffee grounds in peanut butter.

The guy isn't leaving until June, so he's not going to interact with many thru hikers. I suppose he will meet a lot of boy scouts and church groups though.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I remember being told as a 10-year-old that if I didn't get 'onboard with the lord' I would burn for all eternity in a lake of fire.
    Yep. Talk about terrorism and terrorists using it to impose their will onto others! Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    OTOH With Christianity, the works of Jesus instruct to proselytize....
    I assume you mean "words," but either way, can you point me to Jesus' words or works in the Gospels instructing disciples to proselytize, as the modern term means "in your face for your own good"?

(In fact, I take Matthew 23:15 as just the opposite.)
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Yep. Talk about terrorism and terrorists using it to impose their will onto others! Classic.

I assume you mean "words," but either way, can you point me to Jesus' words or works in the Gospels instructing disciples to proselytize, as the modern term means "in your face for your own good"?

(In fact, I take Matthew 23:15 as just the opposite.)
    Matthew 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Matthew 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Yes, but don't take it out of context. He was speaking to the 11 disciples. Read it in context from 16 thru 20.

Bible quotes are always taken out of context and sequence (mixing up new and old testaments) to justify pretty much anything you want.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkie View Post
    So don't talk to the chaplain.

Y'all are making such a huge deal out of this and it's just not one. If you don't want to talk to a chaplain, don't. He's not going to seek you out and try to save you. It's the same as a military or hospital chaplain. There for people who need a chaplain. The end.

However, the number of people who have wanted to discuss religion with me while hiking...I'd say he'll probably have plenty to keep him busy. Obviously none of those will be white blazers.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The guy isn't leaving until June, so he's not going to interact with many thru hikers. I suppose he will meet a lot of boy scouts and church groups though.
    He'll be there for a year. Appointments start in June and last until the next June.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Yes, but don't take it out of context. He was speaking to the 11 disciples. Read it in context from 16 thru 20.
    We could get into a lengthy bible study discussion on this like what the apostles did with this instruction which was to teach others to do likewise but needless to say it's there and open to interpretation.

Images

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations....
    Ahhhh ... a "Christian" Taliban. A slice of scripture from God/Allah, interpreted by some, to be a command to subdue the entire world and to impose one sect's dogma onto all. I see.

To me, the opposite of Christianity and Islam.
    Last edited by Rain Man; 03-31-2017 at 11:46.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Ahhhh ... a "Christian" Taliban. A slice of scripture from God/Allah, interpreted by some, to be a command to subdue the entire world and to impose one sect's dogma onto all. I see.

To me, the opposite of Christianity and Islam.
    As I said open to interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Bible quotes are always taken out of context and sequence (mixing up new and old testaments) to justify pretty much anything you want.
    And that is how some Christians are taught wrong. I even know of one verse where moving a comma can change the whole meaning of a verse.

Another way is people not understanding and makinf false statements that they believe to be true.

Oh and no not always taken out of context but often enough that I get your point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++