WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Lyft Uber

Images

Default Lyft Uber

Has anyone used Lyft or Uber anywhere on the AT?
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Probably not many (and certainly not me). But I would suggest not trying to use uber/lyft for shuttling along the AT. Most drivers work in ubran areas as that is where the money is. At best you would be waiting a long time and paying a hefty price. If you need rides I think a better bet would be to a) hitch hike or b) use one of the many shuttle services.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Probably not many (and certainly not me). But I would suggest not trying to use uber/lyft for shuttling along the AT. Most drivers work in ubran areas as that is where the money is. At best you would be waiting a long time and paying a hefty price. If you need rides I think a better bet would be to a) hitch hike or b) use one of the many shuttle services.
    If it was available I would certainly use it. I was thinking from or to trailheads to Amtrak but now that you suggest it I would also use it to get into towns and definitely getting around towns especially in the Whites. I would prefer it because no cash needed and they actually show up.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    no cash needed
    You should always tip your Uber/Lyft/whatever driver. The "wages" those company pays are paltry.

Some services let you do the tip electronically, but not all. So keep some cash on hand.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    You should always tip your Uber/Lyft/whatever driver. The "wages" those company pays are paltry.

Some services let you do the tip electronically, but not all. So keep some cash on hand.
    Why do you assume I don't tip an Uber Driver? Also they keep 75% of the fare, that doesn't seem paltry to me compared with regular cabs at least. I have an inlaw who drives for Uber and is pretty happy with it as a moonlighting job.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

This is the straight forward forum. Questions were asked about the feasibility of a shuttle on the AT using Lyft or Uber.

Unless the discussion involved that issue, probably best not to post your reply.

Thanks.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

To answer your question directly: I've never used either for the AT. But I do know that they will do longer drives. Best bet is to simply check each website for coverage in the region you will be in, I've learned you can find them in more rural areas than you might expect.

I've used both, so far I only had one poor experience but overall both seem to provide a good service. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've actually looked for Uber several times during a 532 section hike of the southern end of the AT last year but never found the service active in the small towns I visited. I did not look in Gatlinburg since I didn't go there. I'm going to pick up my hike in a few weeks at Marion, VA NOBO and would be interested to use Uber in the future, but are they even in the small towns that dot the AT?

By the way, I've talked with Uber drivers who have driven long distances. One driver picked up several guys in Tampa and took them to Miami. That's about 5 hours.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

I used it to get from the Bangor bus station to the Bangor airport. Guy was there before I could even pull up the app to check where he was. ~$5 with tip.

Just to note, there may be areas where they aren't available. For instance, at this time in NY they are only allowed in NYC (though they have been trying to change that and it may happen soon), so you wouldn't be able to use it from any of the NY trail crossings. Not sure if any of the other AT states have similar rules that wouldn't allow the service in those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Just to note, there may be areas where they aren't available. For instance, at this time in NY they are only allowed in NYC (though they have been trying to change that and it may happen soon), so you wouldn't be able to use it from any of the NY trail crossings. Not sure if any of the other AT states have similar rules that wouldn't allow the service in those areas.
    Not true... at all.

I live in NYC. I take a train up to Harriman and then an Uber to get to the AT because it's like 5-7 miles away from the train station at Tuxedo or Harriman.

From what I've gathered, it can sometimes be cheaper to get an Uber than to use some of the Shuttle Services recommended by the ATC.

Atlanta (north Springs MARTA) to Amicalola Falls:

Uber X $60-80.

Shuttle: $115-125

Best part is that you can ever split the Uber with a fellow hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasebrooklyn View Post
    Atlanta (north Springs MARTA) to Amicalola Falls:

Uber X $60-80.
    That's 160 miles round trip and 3+ hours. It has to cost close to $25+ in fuel. By the time you add other expenses, that's well less than $10/hour, if that much.

I installed Uber pre hike. I didn't see a single ride available from Springer to Bland, VA. I certainly wouldn't plan on a ride being available in the trail towns.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Have only used Ubers in cities and have never tipped the driver. Thought the point was no tips, no money exchanged. Uber retains $1.65 and driver keeps the rest I thought.
    Be Prepared

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Have only used Ubers in cities and have never tipped the driver. Thought the point was no tips, no money exchanged. Uber retains $1.65 and driver keeps the rest I thought.
    Not commenting on the tipping part, but talking to a thru hiker now Uber driver, how much he expects to make in respect to your $1.65 quoted and how much he actually makes does not agree with your statement. There is a time early on where drivers make a bit extra, then that is scaled back is the Ubur portion grows. All and all is was right at minimum wages before car depreciation was taking into account.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasebrooklyn View Post
    Not true... at all.

I live in NYC. I take a train up to Harriman and then an Uber to get to the AT because it's like 5-7 miles away from the train station at Tuxedo or Harriman.
    Well then, you better tell all the TV stations - there has been a big push to get these services allowed in the rest of NY state and they keep saying it was only currently available in the NYC area.
    Maybe those spots are close enough to be considered part of the "NYC area"? But even so, I'd suspect that some parts of the trail fall outside of that area...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Uber cut the driver fares considerably (I think 15% but don't hold me to that) last year or the year before. They really don't make a lot of money. I always leave a tip and the drivers appreciate it.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

++ New Posts ++