WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question can I cut a reg ridgrest and not end up with a wet bed?

I have a regular-sized ridgerest that I would like to cut down or replace with a shorter z-lite (I am under the illusion that z-lites are more comfortable than ridgerests- feel free to contradict this), however, I am concerned that by cutting the ridgerest I'll create a porous edge that could become saturated with water- by violating the 'closed cell' foam. This would kind of defeat the point of cutting it -weight savings and packability, and would be a good enough reason for me to get something else for my upcoming thru-hike and leave the ridgerest intact.
    Will this happen? Is there a way to seal it after I cut it? Is cutting it a stupid idea in the first place way too ounce avoidant for a person too cheap to replace their 42 ounce sleeping bag? You tell me.
    Even so, I am not sure about what pad to bring- I have decided on closed cell and am debating between a short sized z-lite- or the ridgrest option and getting one of the really short z-lites that gossamer gear sells to provide support for their packs.

thanks in advance for your advice!

Thumbs up I cut one

some years back before I got a 3/4 length Ridgerest.

I only cut it for length though, not width.

I used a Bic lighter very, very, very lightly along the cut edge and had no
    problems. I would still be using it, but one of my sons poor me'd me into
    letting him have it.

I really do not think I needed to Bic the cut edge, but I like tinkering.
    Some Days Your The Bug , Some Days Your The Windshield

My understanding of 'closed-cell' foam leads me to believe that it has little to do with the overall product, but in fact concerns the very very tiny foam molecules (or whatever the smallest bit of the foam is). Individually they are impermeable to water, and not necessarily as a unit.

In other words, cutting your closed-cell mat might cause a difference in the edge of the product, but probably not more.

hope that helps, but I doubt it does.... sometimes I explain things well, sometimes not. I believe this is 'not'.

Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

Cutting a CCF pad won't effect it's waterproofness. Every cell is closed, not just the outer edges. Sooo... cut away.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Ender said just what I mean to, only better, and in about 1/6th as many words.
    Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

Thanks, I am wielding scissors as I write this.

Images

Don't cut the red wire!

Thumbs up Thanks for

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    Don't cut the red wire!

the giggle !!
    Some Days Your The Bug , Some Days Your The Windshield

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DO NOT CUT THE RED WIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(thanks,Patrick)

Heck, I've cut em all up, I even poked holes in my first one to drain the water when sleeping in a hammock with a climbers bivy sac and no tarp.

LOL! I cut one down on my hike and it was so uncomfortable I got rid of it. Maybe I accidently cut the Red Wire? [giggle]

Images

I cut my regular Ridgerest down to 50 inches and have been using it for about 3 years and it hasnt soaked up any water yet.
    "Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in the mountains.It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like proving a unified field theory,mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the perfect cup of coffee,the game can never be won." Smoke Blanchard

Images

Oh yeah I almost forgot -I use the part I cut from the Ridgerest as a sit pad on fishing trips and hasnt gotten wet either.
    "Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in the mountains.It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like proving a unified field theory,mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the perfect cup of coffee,the game can never be won." Smoke Blanchard

Images

I cut my regular-length z-rest in half, then glued/stitched a light zipper into both sides of the cut. For longer, warmer trips, I take half the thing with me. For cold weather or short trips, I take the whole thing for more comfort. The extra half makes a great seat or even a decent pillow, incidentally. I'm getting ready to buy a Gearskin too, and I think having two halves will make packing it easier.

Yup, cut away. Having used both, I would say that the Ridgerest is more comfortable over the long haul than the Z. The Z is nicer at first, but the bubbles seem to compress quickly and don't give any cush after a short period. The Ridgerest will slowly compress as well, I usually get about 60 nights sleep on them before the area where my hip rests (I sleep on my side) is compressed to about 1/8" thick.

Best closed cell pad on the market= Gossamer NightLight torso. Lasts forever and weighs 3.7 oz. while being much more cushy than Ridgerest.

Images

Default Additional Question About Thermarest

So if I'm going to be carrying my mat on the outside of my pack, is there a need to get one of those covers for it or will it be ok to have it exposed to the elements w/out fear of it getting wet even in an AT downpour?
    The Most Important Things In Life Are Not Things....

Images

I really guess that comes down to whether or not you cut the red wire.

Images

Cut that thing up and don't use a cover. Most leak or pool the water in the bottom, soaking all your gear. Use some type of liner in your pack and you should be OK.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michele
    So if I'm going to be carrying my mat on the outside of my pack, is there a need to get one of those covers for it or will it be ok to have it exposed to the elements w/out fear of it getting wet even in an AT downpour?
    I made a homemade silnylon bag for my cut-down Ridge Rest. I carry it on the back of the pack, strapped on vertically, with the top of the bag down. I just don't like sleeping on a wet mat!
    Just hike.

++ New Posts ++