WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trips in WA/OR/BC

I have a (very ambitious) goal of thru-hiking the PCT next summer. I'd go SOBO so that I have time to graduate high school (probably pretty important) and then I'd defer my enrollment to college by a semester if possible, otherwise a year. Since I plan on going SOBO, I'll need to train and get used to hiking 15-20 miles per day with a heavy pack. I've been looking at trips in the Cascades somewhere that are around the 100-150 mile range. My brother invited me to hike the West Coast Trail this summer with him and a few of his friends, but its a bit short at 47 miles. I've also come up with a traverse of sorts through North Cascades National Park, starting at Hannegan Pass and going through both parts of the park via a lot of other trails until Stehekin. This would be around 110 miles using the Copper Ridge alternate. Another option I've looked at is a trip in Yellowstone, either the Thorofare or Two Ocean Plateau, but that's both farther away and requires a bear can. Are there any other options for a summer trip around that length?

The Wonderland Trail has annoying Park Service regulations (you'd need to go as a walk in and take whatever itinerary you get), but is a great trip and a useful reality check.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

There are all sorts of options with that much mileage; one can look at, say, green trail maps, get a sense for the scale, then look for very large loops for example. The easiest thing to do would be to knock off a goodly chunk of the PCT, but since that's what you're training for, maybe not optimal. Since you're in WA, consider working out a long loop trip in the Olympic National Park, though in that case you have to work out permits for some parts.
    You could try the complete Boundary Trail; here's one reference to that: http://www.williswall.com/willis-wal...s-aug2014.html
    I hiked through the Pasayten Wilderness as part of finishing the PNT last year, and it doesn't disappoint --- but neither is it particularly easy.

In general, when looking to do a relatively large amount of mileage, I think it's good to think in terms of loops. But you won't find many ready-made for you, as few are both willing and able to do them. So you need to look at putting together existing trails to form your own trip. Often where I am, some combination of PCT plus other trails can make loops of varying lengths work out.

Best of luck!
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

My brother invited me to hike the West Coast Trail this summer with him and a few of his friends, but its a bit short at 47 miles.
    Turn around. Hike 47 miles back to your start.
    IF you stay in designated backcountry sites in Yellowstone & Glacier you don't need a bear can. You can hang a regular stuff sack from the cables provided. Both parks and adjacent National Forests accept the Ursack bear proof storage bags. "Cans" are not required. The IGBC list is good in Glacier & Yellowstone. http://igbconline.org/certified-products-list/
    You can easily hike 100 miles up, down, around the Wind River Range in Wyoming. Ursacks allowed.
    If you combine the Teton Crest Trail and the low elevation trail that connects all of the lakes in Grand Teton National Park you'll get a good workout. Lots of elevation change. The park provides a bear can.
    https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvis...ad/BC_2009.pdf
    Sooner or later you will need a bear can on the PCT since the powers that be ignore the Ursacks.
    For lots of information about Wyoming & Utah: https://backcountrypost.com
    Good luck.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Kalaallit View Post
    . . . My brother invited me to hike the West Coast Trail this summer with him and a few of his friends, but its a bit short at 47 miles. . .
    Just do it, regardless!
    You can also tack on the Jan de Fuca Trail to the end of the W Coast Trail, to add mileage.

Olympics is also a GREAT suggestion. Just piece together a route(s) the meets your wishes.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Since you mentioned Yellowstone and The Thorofare...
    https://backcountrypost.com/threads/...92/#post-73870
    Don't blame me if you suddenly decide to hike the CDT instead of the PCT.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

One more source:
    http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.co...ks-wilderness/
    Get busy! LOL!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    You can also tack on the Jan de Fuca Trail to the end of the W Coast Trail, to add mileage.
    Never heard of that, but it looks amazing. It would make it around 90 miles, which is what I'm looking for in a hike as well.

The Olympics is also a great suggestion that I somehow completely forgot about. I would imagine I could make a loop through Seven Lakes Basin, maybe through Anderson Pass with a trip down to Enchanted Valley also? Not entirely sure how many trail intersections there are, but I'll surely look into it.

I was considering the Wonderland Trail, but its pretty expensive at $20 per day and I've missed the permit applications anyway I think. Plus, I'd like to get away from the crowds, and that's not entirely possible there. I'll save it for another day, but its still on my future list.

I've looked at doing some of the Oregon Coast trail as well, possibly the northern part south to Yachats. Anyone have experience with that? I know its a lot of road walking, but the coast there is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalaallit View Post
    Never heard of that, but it looks amazing. It would make it around 90 miles, which is what I'm looking for in a hike as well.
    The Olympics is also a great suggestion that I somehow completely forgot about. I would imagine I could make a loop through Seven Lakes Basin, maybe through Anderson Pass with a trip down to Enchanted Valley also? Not entirely sure how many trail intersections there are, but I'll surely look into it.
    I was considering the Wonderland Trail, but its pretty expensive at $20 per day and I've missed the permit applications anyway I think. Plus, I'd like to get away from the crowds, and that's not entirely possible there. I'll save it for another day, but its still on my future list.
    I've looked at doing some of the Oregon Coast trail as well, possibly the northern part south to Yachats. Anyone have experience with that? I know its a lot of road walking, but the coast there is beautiful.
    Bellingham WA is a great jumping off point for many hikes. Two of my good hiking friends moved there for this reason. You should really consider not going too far.

Olympic NP! Use the PNWT as part of a larger loop. Also involve the Hoh River, N. Fork Bogacheil River, Appleton Pass, Olympic Hot Springs, Elwha River, Quinault River/N Fork Quinault River, Dosswalips River, Andersen Pass, etc. If you want the coast, which is one of my TOP 5 All Time Coastal Hikes, include that. Mishmash it, skip less interesting segments that get to the coast from the Bogachiel River which this is part. I just did this! I could have never left the O P but the PNWT further east was calling.

I just thru-hiked the Oregon Coast Tr last June into July SOBO(southbound). When it's really beautiful like on the beach, going through old growth single track over headlands, in the MANY SP's, Marine Reservations, and Oregon Dunes it's really great scenery. All this makes for a good diversity with the road walks which you might be able too get rides anyhow. I liked the road walks though because thats where my resupplies and abundance of food were. The road walks are almost always over large scenic bridges over scenic bays and large rivers which help break up them up. Resupply was EASY never carrying more than 3 days food. I ate like a king on the OCT. I took a lot of notes and did quite a bit of additional things and experiences on the OCT thru hike so ping away.

N. Cascades is right there too.

West Coast Tr is an adventure thriller. Right there near you. It's high on my bucket list. Tacking on the Jan de Fuca in even moderately dry weather would be an outstanding scenic hike. Don't underestimate the hiking workout of beach and coastal trails!!! You don't have to immediately go to high Mt elevations to get ready for the PCT SOBO. Work on gaining that 100-150 miles of completed backpacking experiences as a large stepping stone to get ready for a PCT SOBO push!

Wish you the best.
    DW

++ New Posts ++