WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tyvek

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post
    Well since I stuck mine in with a complete load that I was washing anyway, I didn't consider it wasteful.

-FA
    Shame on you. Don't you know you're supposed to warsh your clothes in the crik with a board?

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I see things a bit differently than that. I think all the water belongs to all of us. The cost of generating electricity burdens us all beyond the balance due at the end of the month. I think that conservation is everyone's responsibility. I would expect those who share an appreciation for nature and all that it gives us would not waste any of it.

But of course, just my point of view. I'll do my part to save the planet for the both of us.
    Agree wish more folks actually gave a ****.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Agree wish more folks actually gave a ****.....

Last edited by Traffic Jam; 07-19-2017 at 09:31. Reason: Wasted my time on another stupid argument

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    People can give a **** and still use modern conveniences. Those people will do their part in other ways. There's no one on this forum, including you, who lives 100% without those things that make life a little easier. So lets lambast the person who uses a washing machine but has been bike commuting to work for 5 years and religiously recycles, spins her own yarn, knits and weaves articles of clothing for her family and home out of discarded clothing and linen...and on and on.
    I should have been clearer.....I'm not pointing fingers...I've washed tyvek before...god help me...just referring to some people's lack of caring and when it comes to conservation and preservation of our natural resources....

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    So you're going to start at the south end of the PCT without water and just take it from other hikers? That is what your "belongs to all of us" claim advocates.

Nuts!

The Earth is a closed ecosystem, it's just a big (actually, a very, very small) bubble floating in the vacuum of space. What we have now is all that we will ever have... there's no space convoys trucking stuff in for us. The water in your soda and coffee? It's billions of years old... most likely older than the earth itself. We don't own it, but we do all share it.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smithereens View Post
    The Earth is a closed ecosystem, it's just a big (actually, a very, very small) bubble floating in the vacuum of space. What we have now is all that we will ever have... there's no space convoys trucking stuff in for us. The water in your soda and coffee? It's billions of years old... most likely older than the earth itself. We don't own it, but we do all share it.
    +No shortage of water
    Just excess of people.that
    - choose to live where it isnt
    ,- allow what have to be polluted
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-20-2017 at 00:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Shame on you. Don't you know you're supposed to warsh your clothes in the crik with a board?
    I actually have a wash board, but no, I wouldn't want to use it for all our laundry. I did try it once, although not in the crik.

I guess I could have used it for the tyvek, but I also have a lot of other stuff that needs to get done. On the other hand, I do drive an electric vehicle, and we do generate our own electricity.

Trade-offs.

-FA

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I think all the water belongs to all of us.
    Check into water rights laws and you'll find that, at least legally, you are wrong.

The only water that belongs to you is...
    1. The water you've paid for, or
    2. The water you have legal rights too.

And you might be surprised as to what water you DON'T have rights to under option #2 above.

As an example, I'm sure that it would surprise many people to learn that in Colorado, you don't have rights to the water that falls (i.e. rains) on your property. Yes, it is illegal to collect rain water that falls on your house.
    (Actually, it was just last year that that was slightly amended by law... Colorado residence may now collect and store up to 110 gallons of rainwater... as long as they put it back in the ground on their property).

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post
    I actually have a wash board, but no, I wouldn't want to use it for all our laundry. I did try it once, although not in the crik.

I guess I could have used it for the tyvek, but I also have a lot of other stuff that needs to get done. On the other hand, I do drive an electric vehicle, and we do generate our own electricity.

Trade-offs.

-FA
    yep, it's a trade off...

Those hand-powered washing machines look cool and supposedly only take a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I should have been clearer.....I'm not pointing fingers...I've washed tyvek before...god help me...just referring to some people's lack of caring and when it comes to conservation and preservation of our natural resources....

yeah...sorry. A case of untimely post plus "angry old lady".

(Which is why I deleted it but you quoted me too quickly.).

Sorry folks, didn't mean to offend. The point is, Tyvek is easily tamed manually. Certainly, you are all within your rights to utilize any appliance or resources you wish to do the job.

I'm sorry I suggested a simple and fast no cost solution.
    For some reason I keep forgetting that people prefer complex and costlier versions because simple seems like cheating or something... well I don't know what.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Check into water rights laws and you'll find that, at least legally, you are wrong.

The only water that belongs to you is...
    1. The water you've paid for, or
    2. The water you have legal rights too.

And you might be surprised as to what water you DON'T have rights to under option #2 above.

As an example, I'm sure that it would surprise many people to learn that in Colorado, you don't have rights to the water that falls (i.e. rains) on your property. Yes, it is illegal to collect rain water that falls on your house.
    (Actually, it was just last year that that was slightly amended by law... Colorado residence may now collect and store up to 110 gallons of rainwater... as long as they put it back in the ground on their property).
    You are on the mark. Living in the the east or southeast is a whole different world from the Western states. In "bad" snow years, reservoirs shrink by hundreds of feet. I remember when you could not see Dillon Reservoir, a major Denver water supply, from the I70 interstate. This year the reservoirs are full and the rivers are still rip'in late into July. Google Lake Powell water levels to see how dramatic the spring runoff effects storage levels, unless you think Hoover Dam should be destroyed and the Colorado River returned to it's "natural" state.

Legend has it, a land owner above Central City dug out a small catch basin pond to capture runoff. Lawyers from Coors Brewing showed up threatening to sue their socks off if they didn't remove the basin. Guess who owned the water rights.

Many have died in the old west, stealing or protecting water rights.

Personally, I only wash my Tyvek with my Arc'teryx brand clothing or my Western Mountaineering sleeping bags in my computer controlled LG $1200 washer. I wish Apple had an app so I could start the washer from Long's Peak.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Putting Tyvek in a washing machine is unnecessary and wasteful. Just crumple, twist and manipulate the noise out of it. Vigourously manipulated it will be tamed in a fraction of the time required to run a washing machine cycle without wasting water or electricity.

I shake my head when I read these posts about someone wanting to hike over 2000 miles but can't spend 10 minutes preparinging their Tyvek.
    Does your assessment change when the Tyvek is soiled? About half the reason that I carry mine is to have a clean place to lay out gear or bathe. Eventually it's dirty enough that I have to launder it to have a clean place again.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Does your assessment change when the Tyvek is soiled? About half the reason that I carry mine is to have a clean place to lay out gear or bathe. Eventually it's dirty enough that I have to launder it to have a clean place again.
    No, shake it off, spray with a hose or wipe it with damp rag. Any soiling is superficial not intergrated into the fibers as with cloth so your Tyvek isn't significantly cleaner after a 30 minute wash cycle than a 30 second hose down.

Hard thread to follow with all the blocked posts and quotes of quotes, but for those in the "the water and electricity and air belong to everyone" camp, just curious - you're vegan, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I am not vegan, but opposed to cow flatulence.

I am now using my dishwasher to poach some wild salmon, line caught of course.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Hard thread to follow with all the blocked posts and quotes of quotes, but for those in the "the water and electricity and air belong to everyone" camp, just curious - you're vegan, right?...
    [/QUOTE]

Perhaps Your blocking me and will not receive my response... but no, I am a meatatarian. That does not preclude me from being frugal and attentive to enviromental issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    I am not vegan, but opposed to cow flatulence.
    I am now using my dishwasher to poach some wild salmon, line caught of course.
    LOL. You must be an Uler... washing the dishes and poaching salmon at the same time...

Peeing on new Tyvek softens it up.

If you do wash it don't dry it in a dryer on high heat or it gets hard, balled up, and shrinks. I periodically measure Tyvek ground cloths after drying in the hot sun and even that can result in shrinkage. Same for window wrap.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++