WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    In addition to sleeping with water, I also put my camera, headlamp and stove fuel in a stuff sack inside the bag with me. The warmth keeps the batteries from draining, and since I use a cannister stove the cold can really make a difference.

I think it isn't the cold that wrecks the batteries. I think if it gets cold and then you use it, the batteries drain. If you warm the batteries up before you turn your camera on, though, the batteries should last longer. Haven't really experimented with this, though, since I sleep with my batteries.

I hate frozen boots the worst. I'll put my boots into a plastic bag or stuff sack and sleep with them, too.

not really Jeff I store my large quantities of batteries in the refrigerator to keep them fresh... Just have to warm them up...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    That's a trail stunt, and a great way to get someone badly burned or killed.
    Mowgli the international msr comes with a substitution jet just for that case... slightly larger jet? to avoid clogging. Just a FYI
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

If, for example, the wind is coming hard and fast from the East, but the clouds / storm are obviously coming equally hard & fast from the West, be ready to take shelter FAST, cause you are about to get T-Stormed! Or at least a pretty good storm & high winds.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

To those switching from tent to hammock- keep your camping pad, and put it under you while you sleep in your hammock. Keeps your back from getting cold.
    Trail name- Jingles.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    If that works half as well as you describe, it's the idea of the decade! Thanks, I'm going to try it.
    It works great! I carry one with me on all trips, I highly recommend it!

I try to multi-task gear as much as possible. Instead of carrying prepared cotton balls and vaseline as an emergecy firestarter, I use the cotton balls and antibiotic ointment (Neosporin), the clear NOT the cream, i already have in my first aid kit. Combine only when needed. These don't burn quite as long but are still effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Try a little piece of cord.
    i carry para cord, works for anything and it's tough cord so it can with stand a lot. i also use it to hang my food bag

i like to have a 9 volt battery and still wool for fire starting when it's wet. it works, adds a little extra gear to you list but it's small and not heavy. i got tired of not being able to start a fire when it was wet and using my stove fuel to start fires. this was my solution and i like it.

Images

1. Use my clothes bag for a pillow with my fleece jacket wrapped around it for comfy sleep.

2. Sleep in my camp clothes and keep my clothes for the next day inside my bag at my feet. Easy to get to in the morning and they're nice and warm.

3. Put my water bladder crossways on top of my food bag. Keeps the food cooler.

4. Use a Nalgene bottle to carry red wine. The extra surface area it has in the bottle lets it aerate extremely well. A bottle of wine is 3/4 of a liter, the bottle is a liter. Plenty of room.

5. You can't carry too much coffee or too many Snickers.

6. A little silver flask that holds a few wee drams is always a good thing.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    I learned this from another hiker,she knows who she is. But buy the egg cartons made from recycled paper. When finished with the eggs, (yes you can throw the shells out into the yard or the woods, animals use them for their needed calcium). Fill each of the egg slots with dryer lint (we all have plenty of it). I like to put a dab of vaseline on the top and bottom before stuffing the dryer lint into the egg slots. Then melt used candles and cover the lint enough to hold it all in there. Cut the egg slots apart. Take one in a ziploc for each fire you think you will want to build. I usually carry one or two extra, just in case. Works great for me.

Sounds good to me...good enough to revive one of my favorite threads that ever existed here.......RIP Moxie!
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    The one trick that eliminates most issues and the need for other tricks is to carry an ample supply of Scotch Whiskey.
    That is very true. If you drink enough you can screw the wood hooks into your head and save damage to the trees.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post
    Sounds good to me...good enough to revive one of my favorite threads that ever existed here.......RIP Moxie!
    Each time this thread is revived, I experience a bit of sadness. Moxie died a few weeks after having been elected to the Maine Legislature. Moxie, a thru hiker, was an enthusiastic member of the founding board of our Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust. The trail lost a true friend.

Weary www.matlt.org

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Each time this thread is revived, I experience a bit of sadness. Moxie died a few weeks after having been elected to the Maine Legislature. Moxie, a thru hiker, was an enthusiastic member of the founding board of our Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust. The trail lost a true friend.

Weary www.matlt.org
    I didn't know that history. So sad and he was so young...

Images

I've found that when I'm getting the "trail mad", it's a sign of not drinking enough water.

Keeping my gear organized at camp helps in getting an early start.

It seems that I cover more miles in the early morning in a shorter span of perceived time. Or in other words the first 6 miles don't feel as long with an early start as opposed to a late one.

I try to resupply on food after I eat in town, helps cut down on the impulse buying of trail munchies and thus too much food.

I try to keep my pack on during short breaks, it often seems as soon as the pack leaves my back that the motivation soon goes too.

Too much caffeine in the morning makes for a long afternoon.

Noises at night may sound like they come from larger animals than they really do.
    it is strange that a man would put the pieces together as they please opposed to being content with where the pieces fall

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorel View Post
    This may sound gross, but I keep a small Nalgene bottle, with a top that tightens very securely, for bladder relief in the nignt so I don't have to leave my tent in the cold or buggy nights. It is marked distinctly, so there is no mixing of bottles. And I keep my hand sanitizer beside it at night so I can wash my hands after the relieving event. Hope this was not too much information.
    1 gallon zip lock bag, the kind with positive zipper closure, does this for me very well. Wedge it between my boots to keep it upright. Kinda skanky dumping it in the am though.

Images

Default moving a leak

For those who might at times sleep in a shelter here is a tip how to move a leak away from where you are sleeping.....place a peice of cord up against the leak run the cord downhill to the spot you want to move the leak to....the water will follow the cord to its lowest spot and drip there....it does work....I performed this on leak at Tom Floyd shelter to the amazement of 2 other hikers....with age sometimes comes wisdom

The Captain

Quote Originally Posted by chiefiepoo View Post
    1 gallon zip lock bag, the kind with positive zipper closure, does this for me very well. Wedge it between my boots to keep it upright. Kinda skanky dumping it in the am though.
    Most of the guys I hike with use a 20 oz empty gatorade bottle.

One of the few moments in life I wish I were a guy...when it's pouring rain outside, 3 am and I have to pee.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoelessWanderer View Post
    Most of the guys I hike with use a 20 oz empty gatorade bottle.

One of the few moments in life I wish I were a guy...when it's pouring rain outside, 3 am and I have to pee.
    Your problem is solved with these items. Urinary device and backcountry bidet. Use the device to have good aim. Use the bidet to rinse the device (and self if you squeeze hard.)
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I have a double wall solo tent. When I set up, I attach the rainfly at bottom and on side opposite opening. Leave it lying on the ground beside tent. Enjoy bug-free view of stars. If it starts raining, it takes about 30 sec to jump out of tent, pull fly over, attach it to top and other side and crawl back in.
    My rainfly came equipped with guylines for the fly, but I leave them home because I haven't found them to be necessary/helpful.
    Dee
    healthymom

Images

I wear sports bras when I hike. (yes I am a chick).
    My sports bra makes a great place for my car keys and and just about any
    other valuable I want to stick down there. (yes I have big boobs and cleavage makes for some great padding).

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chiefiepoo View Post
    I use/carry a small Nalgene when called by nature at night if it's raining. I also use it as a washing machine. Rinse it well, insert socks or underwear, add some Dr Bronners and fill halfway or so with water. A combination of twine and duct tape lets me hang it sideways on the side of my pack; bouncing along provides washing action. I get clean socks and underwear for carring a cup or two of water for an hour....

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
++ New Posts ++