WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Yellow birch taste like wintergreen and makes a nice tootbrush or tea.
    Sweet birch is stronger tasting, but yellow birch is pleasant enough and more common.
    I love birch and evergreen teas. In fact, you can make a very pleasant , light tea out of bark and leaves from a lot of trees and bushes.

There are lots of things to eat in the bush, but many of the substantial meals involve digging and damaging things. After all, what you are doing is stealing their winter or reproduction food/energy supply. So I don't forage for such stuff on an established trail or protected area. But back in the bush... It actually takes a lot of research and practice to forage practically. A survival skill to practice when not thru hiking.

I agree. I think its better to forage for flavours and vitamins, and knowledge, but not calories.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    If hiking with a partner and you have found a good tenting spot, tie a red bandana around a tree or bush by the trail near the spot leading to the site. This alerts him or her where you are at. But be sure you have discussed ahead of time the area you plan to hike to.
    Always keep some marking tape in your pack. It weighs nothing. I have used orange, yellow, red, lime green. If you are in a group, let them know what color you have and try to keep it the same in the group. An ink pen can write on it. This can be very useful.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Images

Someone on here suggested using tp and duct tape for bandages. I thought about it, then started testing out how it was. It really works!! A lot better than band aids or gauze and medical tape. My 1st aid kit now has tp(I use the charmin mega strong-very durable for all uses ) and duct tape in it. Thanks to whomever suggested this.

I also read where someone suggested carrying a maxi pad for major gashes. I carry one anyway so that will be useful knowledge heaven forbid I need to use it for that purpose.

Thanks for all the info.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Hanging washed socks on my pack with a safety pin, then when they are still a little damp tossing them in my sleeping bag so my body heat dries them completly.
    Someone told me to put damp socks on your shoulders at night. It stinks but they're dry in the morning! one of my favorite tricks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I agree. I think its better to forage for flavours and vitamins, and knowledge, but not calories.
    Well, while we're on this subject, if you're hiking in an area where wintergreen is plentiful, pick a handful of the leaves, tear or cut them, and brew up a pot of wintergreen tea. The primary ingredient in wintergreen oil is a salisalate (sp?), which is chemically very similar to aspirin. It's great for soothing aching muscles - a cup or two before bedtime, and you'll wake up feeling great the next morning. (Just don't pick the area clean!)

Default Boot drying

Quote Originally Posted by swift View Post
    They have PV foam towels used for drying cars in Walmart in the automotive section...come in a clear plastic tube, cost 6 bucks. Its my most useful piece of gear. When completely dry and folded it feels and weighs about the same as a styromfoam block the size of a pack of cigarettes. It absorbs 20 times its weight in water and releases 96% of it when you wring it. Makes a great bath towel, cut up it makes great headbands and wristbands, it dries your tent off in the morning like nothing else does.
    This tip struck a chord when I read the original post, and I had to try one of these synthetic chammois- cloths for boot drying: stuffed into a wet boot (like I sometimes do with newspapers), the towel sucks out much of the water and can be wrung out and repeated to remove much of the moisture. Thanks swift!

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
    There are two thoughts on packing tents when breaking camp. One, fold and roll as the factory packages it. Two, grab a corner and start stuffing it in the bag. The latter method supposed to prevent any weak spots or holes developing because of repeated folding in the same place all the time. If you do yours the second way, leave the sleeping bag in the tent and stuff them together. Saves a little time packing, and unpacking too. You'll just have to get a somewhat larger stuff sack than the one for the tent or the bag alone. I can say this works OK for a week or two, might be alright for long hikes also.
    Ya know, keeping the bag in the tent before stuffing is a great idea. I'm a stuffer anyway; the only stuff sacks in my pack are plastic grocery bags for my food.

Simplicity. Can't beat it.
    Yahtzee

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    Ya know, keeping the bag in the tent before stuffing is a great idea. I'm a stuffer anyway; the only stuff sacks in my pack are plastic grocery bags for my food.
    Simplicity. Can't beat it.
    I should have put this in the original post, but common sense should tell you - do this only if you had no rain the night before and the tent is dry.
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    In addition to sleeping with water, I also put my camera, headlamp and stove fuel in a stuff sack inside the bag with me. The warmth keeps the batteries from draining, and since I use a cannister stove the cold can really make a difference.

I think it isn't the cold that wrecks the batteries. I think if it gets cold and then you use it, the batteries drain. If you warm the batteries up before you turn your camera on, though, the batteries should last longer. Haven't really experimented with this, though, since I sleep with my batteries.

I hate frozen boots the worst. I'll put my boots into a plastic bag or stuff sack and sleep with them, too.
    I was always under the impression that heat killed batteries. My mom always kept new batteries in the fridge till they were ready to use. Said they would last longer. I use to do alot of video work and always knew that if I had left fully charged camera batteries in my car for a day or two in the heat that I would always have to recharge them again.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    when entering a super market or grocery store, immediately put your six pack in the freezer. When you are ready to check out, it will be ccccold. When you get outside, put it deep down in your sleeping bag, when you get to camp and pull it out (after that 1,500 foot climb) it will be nice and cold. (brought to you by "Sid Not That Vicious" )
    now that's a truly helpful tip.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
    I was always under the impression that heat killed batteries. My mom always kept new batteries in the fridge till they were ready to use. Said they would last longer. I use to do alot of video work and always knew that if I had left fully charged camera batteries in my car for a day or two in the heat that I would always have to recharge them again.
    It was always my understanding that batteries produced electricity by means of a chemical reaction, and since chemical reactions slow down in cold temperatures, storing your batteries in the fridge might extend their storage life. But if you try to use them cold, there is less available power because the batteries have to overcome the colder temperature...I think....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Quote Originally Posted by k-n View Post
    now that's a truly helpful tip.
    Indeed. I already passed in on to friends.
    Yahtzee

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    It was always my understanding that batteries produced electricity by means of a chemical reaction, and since chemical reactions slow down in cold temperatures, storing your batteries in the fridge might extend their storage life. But if you try to use them cold, there is less available power because the batteries have to overcome the colder temperature...I think....
    yep, keep them in the freezer til ready to use

Images

...I could never have been a bobadier in ww2...my squatting aim is horible.
    so now here is my meathod for getting poop into the cat hole

Poop first... then dig a hole. and then with a stick slide the poop into the hole.

Images

definitely a water carry to keep water near you when in camp .
    you need aleast a few liters over night .
    and i used my rainfly a few times during this years unconceivable drought to catch thunderstorm downpours especially when theres no water at a shelter .

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

Default Good trail tricks I've learned

Quote Originally Posted by Deerleg View Post
    I go pretty light and don’t carry a water filter, thus I have nothing to suck up water from a trickle source. Normally I let water run into my plastic sport drink bottle if the flow is sufficient, but sometimes it can’t be done without getting sediment mixed with the water. Jewelweed is often plentiful around a water source and I have used the hollow tube of the plant to “Pipe” the trickle to more easily position my bottle away from the sediment.
    Careful ..... Hemlock has a hollow stem as well and it will kill you just by sipping water thorough it.

Save your dryer lint in zip lock bags. Keep a bag or two in your possibles bag. Makes GREAT fire starter!

I carry a sleeve of crackers and use free BBQ and sauce packets to create hor dourves while m main meal is cooking.
    I have two Titanium pot, one two cups the other four so they nest small. I cook over an alcohol stove so I heat water for my drink, then as soon as it gets fish eyes (thanks to Shasta and HBomb for that description) then switch the 'meal' on, then when that is done there is usually enough lasting flame to sorta heat a second two cup drink. Well hydrated I use 32 oz every evening. Then drink 32 oz. before bed. The next morning I do not cook unless it is really cold, just 16 oz water and a trail bar unti l mid morning when I have a bigger 'meal' break.
    Pack Ultra-lyte and just yogi everything you need....oh wait this is the wrong forum.

Quote Originally Posted by riceNbeans View Post
    Save your dryer lint in zip lock bags. Keep a bag or two in your possibles bag. Makes GREAT fire starter!
    Or heat up a little petroleum jelly and dip part of the lint in it.

A large marble size ball will burn for 5 minutes and can be ignited with just the spark from a fire steel.

I don't carry a lighter or any other fire starting material any more. With a little practice you can light this tinder on the first strike and have a good fire going in just a few minutes.

I have a book of matches in my cook kit to light my stove which I could use as backup fire starter, but the firesteel/lint method works the best for me.

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++