WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Solo cook kit idea

Hey All,

I ran across something last week that you homemade stove makers might be interested in. I was at an outfitter's buying the Snow Peak mini solo cook set( @ 3 cups, 3 5/8" x 4 3/4" ). At the display next to the pots I noticed this:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...s&cutoffdate=1

I started experimenting with pots and discovered that the mini solo would fit perfectly in the water bottle parka>

I took everything home and after some fiddling found that I could fit my entire stove kit in this thing.

The cool thing is I can use the water parka as a coozy for my freezer bag meals. Sweet! The whole thing packed up with a week's worth of fuel weighs 1 lb. 5 oz. and measures4 1/2" diameter x 9" height.

I thought I'd better pass this on for anybody looking for a similar setup.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

2.17% and counting
    Images

Default I like that line of thinking.

This setup looks pretty similar to what I've been putting together. I actually got started on this line of thinking after checking out HOI's setup.

HOI's cooking system
    http://www.datasync.com/~wksmith/hoikit.html

I made my own cozy from a windshield sunvisor and have a Heineken keg can pot. I'll post some pics to compare.

2.17% and counting
    Images

Default I got pics

Here is the latest incarnation of my solo kit. I'll readily admit that I have not done much testing yet (pot stand stability and stove performance are still a concern of mine), but I like the way it is coming togther so far.

Kit components
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...p?i=9877&c=516

Packed up (spoon in its holster, thats right a spoon holster)
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...p?i=9878&c=516

In use configuration
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...p?i=9879&c=516

Quart-sized ziplocs fit nicely in the cozy for cooking and eating. For eating the opening of the bag can be pulled over the edge of the cozy (sort of like a liner for a large drinking glass).

Images

Looks pretty good, but I've never been able to get any sort of effeciency from a Heinieken pot. They're tippy, too. YMMV.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer
    Looks pretty good, but I've never been able to get any sort of effeciency from a Heinieken pot. They're tippy, too. YMMV.
    wrt to efficiency - best I have been able to do is to use an empty tea light candle tin as a burner - all other approaches I have tried seem to be less efficient in terms of fuel used - be sure to use a bottom reflector and a tight fitting insulated lid for the pot to get the best efficiency - also put some CCF insulation unter the bottom reflector for a little bit more efficiency - play with the windscreen also - I probably could optimize my windscreen a bit but after a while I just said "it's good enough"

wrt to tippy - if you use a 3 high cylinder of half inch hardware cloth that _just_ fits within the concave base of the can I think you will find that it is quite stable - this keeps the pot centered on the pot support and avoids the tippiness - also helps to not file the points on the hardware cloth cylinder

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice
    wrt to efficiency - best I have been able to do is to use an empty tea light candle tin as a burner - all other approaches I have tried seem to be less efficient in terms of fuel used - be sure to use a bottom reflector and a tight fitting insulated lid for the pot to get the best efficiency - also put some CCF insulation unter the bottom reflector for a little bit more efficiency - play with the windscreen also - I probably could optimize my windscreen a bit but after a while I just said "it's good enough"

wrt to tippy - if you use a 3 high cylinder of half inch hardware cloth that _just_ fits within the concave base of the can I think you will find that it is quite stable - this keeps the pot centered on the pot support and avoids the tippiness - also helps to not file the points on the hardware cloth cylinder
    Thanks for the info HOI,

I've tried everything in listed in your posts, except I used my homemade "multi-stand"( pictured in my first post )that allows me to play with the distance to pot. Perhaps I should mention that I was looking to boil 2 cups with 1/2 oz of fuel in a benchtest as a sort of prerequisite to field testing. I was never able to do it reliably with the tea candle-Heinie pot. My feeling is the pot was the problem-not the tea candle. I'll probably play with the idea again on some rainy day when I'm in a beer mood .

BTW, the two stoves pictured in my original post( I call them Sunstove and Lucky Charm ) are very close in size to a tea candle. One is 1 5/8" in diameter; the other is 1 3/8". Because the height for each is @1", they have a bit more fuel capacity, if needed, to compensate for wind, cold, etc.

The benchtests for the Snowpeak solo pot using the two stoves pictured are looking pretty good: 12 minute to boil time for the Sunstove with an extra 1 1/2 minute boil; 15 minute to boil time for the Lucky Charm with an additional 3 minute boil after that. This should keep me occupied for a few days!
    Skids

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer
    Thanks for the info HOI,

I've tried everything in listed in your posts, except I used my homemade "multi-stand"( pictured in my first post )that allows me to play with the distance to pot. Perhaps I should mention that I was looking to boil 2 cups with 1/2 oz of fuel in a benchtest as a sort of prerequisite to field testing. I was never able to do it reliably with the tea candle-Heinie pot. My feeling is the pot was the problem-not the tea candle. I'll probably play with the idea again on some rainy day when I'm in a beer mood .
    OK I see part of the difference - I don't boil a full 2 cups of water - I boil enough water for a Lipton's meal cooked in a ziplock/cozy which turns out to be between 1.5 and 1.75 cups - ie fill pot to about 0.5 inch below the large ridge at the top of the can. A tealight candle does not hold enough alcohol to boil 2 full cups of water in a Heineken can.

With respect to the adjustable height - what I would do there is to put some thin wood spacers under the burner to raise the burner to whatever I wanted to try while experimenting. Note however I have not actually done this - its one area I have not tried to optimize - the 3 high pot support seems to be about the right height for a tea light candle tin burner and the Heineken can.

Images

Skid,

Those stoves are awesome. Really cool.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice
    OK I see part of the difference - I don't boil a full 2 cups of water - I boil enough water for a Lipton's meal cooked in a ziplock/cozy which turns out to be between 1.5 and 1.75 cups - ie fill pot to about 0.5 inch below the large ridge at the top of the can. A tealight candle does not hold enough alcohol to boil 2 full cups of water in a Heineken can.

With respect to the adjustable height - what I would do there is to put some thin wood spacers under the burner to raise the burner to whatever I wanted to try while experimenting. Note however I have not actually done this - its one area I have not tried to optimize - the 3 high pot support seems to be about the right height for a tea light candle tin burner and the Heineken can.
    Ah...That probably explains it, thanks. By the way, I haven't tried it yet but it looks like a Heineken can might fit in the water bottle parka. Don't know if it would compare favorably with your homemade coozy weightwise( parka is 4 oz. and has a few doodads that could be cut off ), but it has a slick zipper and seems very durable. FWIW.

Oh, and thanks Patrick. I like them too.
    Skids

Default Stoves

Skidsteer-
    Those stoves are really cool. How did you cut the shamrock pattern? Also, I've never seen heat-resistant paint in those colors before. What brand is it?
    BackpackFlyfishing.com
    Tight lines, light packs!

Gear Talk with Jason Klass
    There is no such thing as having too many sporks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jasonklass
    Skidsteer-
    Those stoves are really cool. How did you cut the shamrock pattern? Also, I've never seen heat-resistant paint in those colors before. What brand is it?
    With a rotary tool. The paint is made by Plasti-Kote and is available at Wal-Mart in the auto section.It's hi-temp engine enamel and seems to be holding up well. I've also found some other colors at auto parts stores sold as VHT( very high temperature ). All are rated for up to 500 degrees.
    Skids

Thanks. I'll try some. Is it spray paint?
    BackpackFlyfishing.com
    Tight lines, light packs!

Gear Talk with Jason Klass
    There is no such thing as having too many sporks!

Hog On Ice,

Your description of the windscreen components disdains any need for science in constructing a cooking system. “The windscreen ... with A BUNCH OF HOLES PUNCHED IN IT ALONG THE BOTTOM.” What a hoot.

I’ve got to say, your system is the most basic I’ve ever seen. It’s elegant in its simplicity. Great!

I’m reminded of the professor who taught me the introduction to economics. The study of economics was, and seems to remain, widely feared by students. His first statement was something like, "Economics is the simplest subject. Economics professors just make it hard, to guarantee them employment and advancement." He did assign us a book to read before his next class, providing an overview of economics, but all the economics courses I took after his were easy.

I’m not thrilled by the prospect of burning alcohol in the woods, but your system, and your description, may just get me to give it a try.

Thanks,

Vi

P.S. Thank you, hiker5, for providing the link: http://www.datasync.com/~wksmith/hoikit.html

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jasonklass
    Thanks. I'll try some. Is it spray paint?
    Yes, it is.
    Skids

++ New Posts ++