WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Overload

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I spoke with several thru hikers this July who were taking east as were leery of leftover snow....I'd take my chances with lil snow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep

If lots of CDT hikers were getting thru, not just a psycho one or two, there was nothing to be worried about for normal health/fitness level people.

Quote Originally Posted by gwb View Post
    Flying into Denver then to the Amtrak station where I'll pick up a bus to Salida. I'll have a few hours between arriving at the airport and getting on a bus. Planning on walking around and stopping at an outfitters to get a fuel canister, get lunch and see the town a little bit.
    I have a room booked in Salida and plan on getting a ride from there to Mount Princeton Hot Springs. It looks like I would start off with some road walking, but I though that would be a good way to start opposed to the Chalk Creek TH where it starts off climbing up right away. I am hoping that starting here on the East side of the loop will ease me into the elevation.

I listed areas that I am considering camping at, but would be flexible based on the day and conditions.

-Mount Princeton Hot Springs to Sec. 14 MM 6.8 (9.3mi)
    -Section 14 MM 19.5 (12.7mi) I wonder if this area would be an overused spot as it looks relatively accessible
    -2 miles to Route 50 and hitch to Monarch Pass then continue to Sec. 5 MM 0 (12.8) This seems too close to a TH to me?
    -Section 4 MM. 0 (15.9mi)
    -Section 3 mm 2.1 (13.8) Guide book says steep trail to camp?
    -Section 2 MM 8.9 (16.1mi)
    -Section 1 MM 5.6
    -Twin Lakes via Willis Gulch Trail (6.7mi)

From Twin Lakes get a ride into Leadville where I'll spend the night before getting on a bus the next morning to get back to the airport.
    I am extremely excited and feel well prepared for the trip, but sometimes the best parts of an adventure are the unexpected things that can pop up and how you adapt. That's been my biggest lesson over the years. Remain flexible so you can easily respond to unexpected circumstances. If it was that important to stick to an itinerary I suppose I would book a cruise or something. Ugh...
    Given the time you have and the miles you are planning to cover, this seems like a rational itinerary -- fewer miles per day at the beginning, then building to more. It seems logical to be concerned about adapting to elevation since it effects some more profoundly than others, and how your body will react is unknown (so sleeping below 10,000 feet your first two nights on the trail seems smart to me).

You seem concerned about camping close to trailheads, and I normally am as well, but on my recent completion of the loop I ended up by chance camping within a mile of trailheads three times (twice practically right at trailheads near Tincup Pass Road and Cottonwood Pass), and didn't have trouble with crowds or noise when I did. Of course your experience may vary. Both of the roads you propose to camp near, Tincup Pass Road and FS Road 230, struck me as very lightly traveled roads. And the campsite a mile north of Highway 50 for your second night did not strike me as a place likely to attract partiers.

I, like you, sketched out a tentative itinerary before I started and ended up at those planned campsites frequently, but also stayed elsewhere, hiking a little bit longer or shorter as circumstances dictated. It sounds like that is your plan as well (and since camping at Lake Ann is in your plan I sure hope that particular campsite ends up working out for you as it's such a beautiful spot).

As it is, you are planning to hike all but five miles on the west side, and about 23 miles on the east side. Recalling my trip (which ended just 17 days ago), I have about as many pleasant memories from my time on the east side as I do the west side -- happiness on the trail often cannot be reduced to just how many stunning views per mile you have. I wish you the best of luck on your trip!
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    Given the time you have and the miles you are planning to cover, this seems like a rational itinerary -- fewer miles per day at the beginning, then building to more. It seems logical to be concerned about adapting to elevation since it effects some more profoundly than others, and how your body will react is unknown (so sleeping below 10,000 feet your first two nights on the trail seems smart to me).

You seem concerned about camping close to trailheads, and I normally am as well, but on my recent completion of the loop I ended up by chance camping within a mile of trailheads three times (twice practically right at trailheads near Tincup Pass Road and Cottonwood Pass), and didn't have trouble with crowds or noise when I did. Of course your experience may vary. Both of the roads you propose to camp near, Tincup Pass Road and FS Road 230, struck me as very lightly traveled roads. And the campsite a mile north of Highway 50 for your second night did not strike me as a place likely to attract partiers.

I, like you, sketched out a tentative itinerary before I started and ended up at those planned campsites frequently, but also stayed elsewhere, hiking a little bit longer or shorter as circumstances dictated. It sounds like that is your plan as well (and since camping at Lake Ann is in your plan I sure hope that particular campsite ends up working out for you as it's such a beautiful spot).

As it is, you are planning to hike all but five miles on the west side, and about 23 miles on the east side. Recalling my trip (which ended just 17 days ago), I have about as many pleasant memories from my time on the east side as I do the west side -- happiness on the trail often cannot be reduced to just how many stunning views per mile you have. I wish you the best of luck on your trip!
    On AT im wary of trailheads too

Not so much on CT
    I camped close enough to tennessee pass to watch cars go by. So did a handful if others.

Images

Thank you for the feedback. Feeling prepared and ready to go! Just looked at the weather report and it looks like 80% chance of rain and thunderstorms... All part of the adventure I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by gwb View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. Feeling prepared and ready to go! Just looked at the weather report and it looks like 80% chance of rain and thunderstorms... All part of the adventure I suppose.
    Save yourself the road walk...start at chalk creek TH..I night hiked from CC TH the to Angel of Shavano area from what I remember wasn't hard....I believe was mostly a ridge walk.

Images

Holy Cow the weather forecast took a serious dive for next week. I don't think anyone would accuse me of being a fair weather hiker, but omg. Looking at that forecast for the East Coast wouldn't make me think twice, out there not so sure. Hoping I'm not being irresponsible to continue with my plans...

Confused?? What does Colorado have to do with east coast forecast?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++