WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Stoker53
    This whole thread would make a great Monty Python sketch.
    Apparently it's similarly entertaining as it's under the current top 5 with posts and views.
    There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path [Morpheus - The Matrix]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Trailjournals

Images

I completely agree, IPs mean absolutely nothing today. Heck I have some computer geek friends who have networks set up in their houses with 3 or 4 computers...that could mean...3 or 4 alternate personalities.
    This is where an IP trace would prove effective, most home networks only have one external IP address, all traffic from the entire home network goes through that external IP. The internal addresses are really irrelevant to the internet as a whole as they exist only on the "home" side of the router.

It is obvious it is one guy.......filled with lonliness for two.

then again maybe it is two guys who have become one.....

Quote Originally Posted by Singe03
    This is where an IP trace would prove effective, most home networks only have one external IP address, all traffic from the entire home network goes through that external IP. The internal addresses are really irrelevant to the internet as a whole as they exist only on the "home" side of the router.
    Not necessarily true. Sgt Rock and I are on a LAN using a router and each have different IP addresses recorded here on WB. Grant it they are only one number different but they are different.

I am aware that IP address searches don't prove anything folks. Also aware that different ISP's don't prove anything either. However, this is getting to be really old.

If someone (and by that I mean anyone) on this site wants to be two different "people" or personalities then so be it. I have enough trouble keeping track of one personally and don't see what's gained by all this other than to cause trouble.

Yes there are ways to mask your IP address, yes there are ways to mask what ISP you use, and yes it isn't seen as socially acceptable in most circles. However, it happens all over the internet, and for some people it seems to be their source of entertainment to cause these types of problems on a site. We all play into their hands by responding, getting upset, and slinging "mud" back and forth. ~shrugs~ I'm so over it, and will not play along anymore!

**Disclaimer: By my statements above I am NOT trying to single ANYONE out as having done the things I've mentioned in any way, shape, or form. Just posting my personal feelings on the matter. ~ end disclaimer**

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Dixie,

I think we all agree that you and Sarge have done a wonderful job here, and that you do your best to make it a great site. I think people were more or less complaining about how pathetic it is that someone might possibly be trolling as two separate identities. I find it annoying, but you're right, it does happen all over the place, so although annoying it is not worse getting worked up like a gorilla beating his chest.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Tail from the south:

Some damn cop in NC thought it would be fun to follow and harass me (perhaps because I had PA plates?) on I-95 one morning. Don't these guys have anything better to do? I had to go back down there to tell the judge about this rogue cop gone wild. Apparently its not okay to drive 100mph down there. Go figure.

Thumbs down bad heebejebeez

not that this is anywhere near the trail but...i got pulled over with maine plates in a small town called guymen, oklahoma for going 30mph in a 35mph zone. then after making me get out of the car to wait for him to write my warning he asked to search it for anthrax, weapons, and drugs. i thought "this guy is crazy", but i complied thinking i might get my ass beat (not because i was in the south, but because i hear of it on the news a lot). but instead of searching it he called dogs in (that he had conveniently waiting around the corner). alas the whole ordeal took about an hour and i was allowed to go on my way.

Tons of drug traffic through Oklahoma. They do this alot with out of state plates. I get stopped there all the time. Happens alot in Tennessee too.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyT
    Tons of drug traffic through Oklahoma. They do this alot with out of state plates. I get stopped there all the time. Happens alot in Tennessee too.
    huh, and you're from texas. do you get seached too?

I have been searched on occassion. Usually it is just alot of questions. In Tennessee they actually took the seats out of my car. They didn't put them back either.

Having spent my first 41 years in New York and the last three in Tennessee, I suppose I could tell a few "tales from the south."

The people here are pretty much like the people you find anywhere else. Religion tends to creep more into daily life than it does up north. People down here generally aren't in quite the hurry that they are in the NE.

People here respond to folks according to how they are treated (surprise-surprise). When I thru-hiked, "Yes Sir" and "No Ma'am" were regular parts of my vocabulary. I treated the various service providers along the trail with respect, and I was afforded the same courtesy. Some of the kids I hiked with didn't exhibit similar manners, and were treated accordingly.

On another note, every once in a while I run into a local who will talk to me for several minutes, and I won't understand a word that they said. Sometimes there's a cheek full of tobacco that adds to the accent and exacerbates the situation. When it happens I just kinda laugh.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

did this happen to you a lot prior to september 11, 2001?

Yeah....Texas plates are the worst though. Cops assume with our large population and large border with Mexico that we are all moving drugs or illeagals. That and the totally misunderstood "Don't mess with Texas" litter campaign get us pulled over pretty often

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    On another note, every once in a while I run into a local who will talk to me for several minutes, and I won't understand a word that they said. Sometimes there's a cheek full of tobacco that adds to the accent and exacerbates the situation. When it happens I just kinda laugh.
    As I'm a non native speaker I feared to be the only one having problems to understand the locals. Good to know that this problem is not limited to aliens.
    There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path [Morpheus - The Matrix]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Trailjournals

that's pretty lame...i'm avoiding those states like the plague from now on!

Sobo Thru-hiker in planning tsali's Avatar

I grew up in the county where "Deliverance" was filmed and i can asure you that there are some strange people down there but they are not at all how the movie makes them out to be. I have lived in NY for the last three years and I have run into more sketchy people up here than down there. for those of you that don't know, that movie was filmed in rabun county Ga only about ten miles from the trail at Plumb orchard. There is a guy that owns some land in the plumb orchard area that does not like people on his property but if you are on the trail you will not have any problems. If you do just tell them you are my friend, Dustin Mentzer, Although i can not promise mentioning my name will help any. But i do know most of the locals in that area.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    Maybe we can get a shot of them fending off porcupines with their light sabres.
    Until then, I'll remain a skeptic.
    Now that's a seriously funny mental image! Thanks Mowgli; made my day!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer
    Now that's a seriously funny mental image! Thanks Mowgli; made my day!

For people who don;t like these two, you are all doing a great job at continuing the mudslinging, provoking etc. This thread is getting so much attention for a thread so many had a problem with.

but donlt listen to me, maybe I'm one of them too, maybe all the scary posters are the same master poster. Maybe it's the Matrix. Are y'all unplugged yet?

Sorry, there's only one Mcquest. And now that I know you all love me so much, I'm staying forever
    Throwing pearls to swine.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TrailReverend
    For people who don;t like these two, you are all doing a great job at continuing the mudslinging, provoking etc. This thread is getting so much attention for a thread so many had a problem with.

but donlt listen to me, maybe I'm one of them too, maybe all the scary posters are the same master poster. Maybe it's the Matrix. Are y'all unplugged yet?
    Sigh... Fending off a porcupine with a light sabre; think about it a minute...funny isn't it?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++