WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Hikes in Western Maryland or Southern PA

I have a young friend that has expressed an interest in backpacking. He lives in Southern PA. Does anybody in the group have some reccomendations for a great first hike? Perhaps a two nighter with some hills would be nice. I am thinking about Mount Rodgers but that is a little far for him to come. You suggestions will all be appreciated.
    not all who wander are lost - JRR Tolkein

The stretch of the AT between Caledonia State Park and Pine Grove Furnace in Southern PA is very nice.

Images

Default HIkes in souther PA

I agree with Spirit Walker. I have some newly taken photos from that area, if you'd like I can zip them up and mail them to you. They are quite beautiful.
    Marsha
    [email protected]

A great resource for that area is:
    www.midatlantichikes.com

Default Hikes in Western Maryland or Southern PA

Hay ya Stale Cracker,
    Check out www.kta-hike.org a good list of Pa. trails and description along with locator maps.

www.hikersupply.com

Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail

I thru-hike it about twice a year. 70+ miles. Mostly Ridge Walking, first 8 miles leaving Ohiopyle State Park, up and down and up and down and then 1 MASSIVE UP HILL. One of the best 2 Mile Up Hill's that exists that simulates AT, off the AT.

Ohiopyle State Park is full of good hikes. Ferncliff, Great Gorge, and Meadow Run are also great hikes.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

I second Twofiddy's mention of the LHT. May be one of the East's Best Kept Secrets.

I started at the north end and hiked south, actually in two parts--splitting at US30. From the north it also starts with a big ascent and then the ups and downs become more manageable in most places.

The camping situation is full of good news/bad news. First, for most of the LHT you HAVE to camp at a shelter area, and there is a nominal charge in advance for the Adirondack-style shelters which sleep 4 and can be reserved (or you can tent but you still have to pay). And the water at most shelters comes from a well pump, and tastes AWFUL. But the shelter areas are downright luxurious by most AT standards--nice enclosed rest rooms with pit toilets, sinks, and TP; pre-cut fire wood; a fireplace at each shelter; trash cans; and more. Dogs are not allowed at shelter areas, which may be good news for some and bad news for others.

If it's not a dry year, due to the foul-tasting water I'd recommend paying close attention to where streams and springs are located and filtering your water there (exception: water at Decker, first shelter in the north if you're SOBO, is OK). If it is a dry season--when I did the second leg it was--it's fairly easy to take a drive a day or two before starting to hike and intersect the LHT at various places to discreetly cache water in jugs. You can leave the empty jugs behind in the State-supplied trash cans at shelters--in fact you are encouraged to do so.

When you get to the US30 crossing, a good place to take a break for a few hours or even an overnight is Ligonier, PA-- a few miles directly west and I found it to be an easy hitch. Also, when you get to the Seven Springs Resort area, there is really good food available at a restaurant about a half-mile off the Trail. Other than those, I think it's trail food all the way and nothing wrong with that.

Two websites of interest:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...urelridge.aspx

http://friends.backcountry.net/lht/

Images

This weekend me and my Girlfriend did a gorgeous hike starting on ridge rd in Caldonia linking up to the AT to Quarry Gap shelter then left on locust gap then to the rocky knob trail, nice loop nothing severely difficult but a very nice 2 day hike with a beginner. You hike through so many different forrests.
    :datz May the four winds blow me safely to Maine.

www.trailjournals.com/cheesewhiz

Yep, I agree with Twofiddy and Skyline. Did the LHHT 2 years ago and couldn't ask for a better hike. Nice rangers, good campsites, but water is slim. Your on a ridge, so springs are hard to come by. Fil up at the shelters. Most have hand pumps, except Decker, spring into a stainless steel tub, cool. If you get to Rt. 30 shelter for the night, there is a good little bar/resturant on Rt. 30. This is less than .3 miles on the campsite access road, or .2 miles west on Rt. 30 from the crossing. Friendly people, good food, cold beer. At the south end is Ohiopyle, Pa. excellant whitewater rafting. The trail ends right at a bar, sweet!! Definatly filter your water from the springs. I didn't and was sick the last day, dummy. I suggest sobo. The first hill isn't bad but the lower end of the trail is semi-rugged. The campsites are well worth the $3 /person/night, for state residents. Firewiid, toilets, shelters, water, commrodary. S..t did I spell that right? Well anyway, good trail, voted #1 in the nation for 2004 by trails.com

++ New Posts ++