WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default bears in the south

I've heard that there are many bears in the south, and that some of the shelters have gate that come down over the front, but I also heard that hikers were feeding the bears throught the gates, resulting in a decision to remove said gates. Won't this create a situation where the bears, now conditioned to go to the shelters for food, are getting into bed with hikers?

Has anyone had close encounters with bears on the trail besides?
    Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hatred. And hatred leads to the dark side.

I think I already told you this one LS, but I'm going to tell it anyway. Me and a buddy were hiking in upstate NY, when we were charged by a black bear, who had hid in the bushes and was waiting for us to get close. We stood absolutely still. Stood our ground, but not aggressively. After a while ( seemed like forever) he turned and slowly left.

Afterwards, I read up about bears, and how to read their body language;

1. A black bear WILL charge but its 99% a bluff
    2. When a bear moves his head from side to side, he is confused and looking for a way out of the confrontation
    3. When bears stand up, they are trying to get a scent of you, NOT intimidate you
    4. When his/her ears are back, he has bad intentions ( this may also be a bluff).
    Throwing pearls to swine.

Now see this is what we need hear. A highly informative thread about issues on the AT. This is much better than arguing. I for one am very thankful that LS starteg this forum so that we can all tae the high road. If it werent for this valuable thread started by LS we would have never been privy to this valuable information shared by McQ. Thank both of you so much. See this truce is good stuff.

wow guess I should have proof read that first

Quote Originally Posted by longshank
    I've heard that there are many bears in the south, and that some of the shelters have gate that come down over the front, but I also heard that hikers were feeding the bears throught the gates, resulting in a decision to remove said gates. Won't this create a situation where the bears, now conditioned to go to the shelters for food, are getting into bed with hikers?

From what I understand, the removal of the gates is kind of new. I think we're going to hear more about bear encounters within the next year or two

Images

I am all for the removal of chain link fencing from the open end of shelters. The Park Service is acting on this because of the "reverse zoo" aspect of letting the bears roam free outside the shelters, while the "captive" humans remained inside the shelter. Hunting of bears is illegal inside National Parks. This compounds the problem. Bears in the Smokys are generally less skittish than bears encountered in other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell
    I am all for the removal of chain link fencing from the open end of shelters. The Park Service is acting on this because of the "reverse zoo" aspect of letting the bears roam free outside the shelters, while the "captive" humans remained inside the shelter. Hunting of bears is illegal inside National Parks. This compounds the problem. Bears in the Smokys are generally less skittish than bears encountered in other areas.
    But now that the bears are used to getting fed at the shelters, they're going to go back, xcept this time there will be no fence...

But now that the bears are used to getting fed at the shelters, they're going to go back, xcept this time there will be no fence...
    Bear jerkie, anyone?

Registered Trademark

There may be a few "close encounters" but I suspect that the bears will learn there is no longer food available at those shelters; assuming people stop feeding them. Bears are very intelligent and just as they learned where to get people food, they will learn the source is no longer viable. After meeting a few hikers armed with rocks, making noise, and not giving up food they will look elsewhere. At least I hope this is what happens. It would be a pity for the park service to start killing bears because a few stupid humans fed them food in the past.
    In your heart you know it's flat.
    - R.A. Wilson

Images

I don't think the problem was backpackers feeding bears through the fence. The problem was that shelter dwellers in the Smokys were not activly chasing bears out of camp because of the safety of the chain link fence. The bears come back time and again and the shelter dwellers can just sit and watch. Thus the "reverse zoo". I'm not saying that everyone did this, cause I have some old time friends who ALWAYS chased bears off in the Smokys. Many others probably did the same when it came down to their overnight camp.

Images

I heard that Longshank and KirkMcQuest shoud go to the south and rub peanut butter all over their naked bodies and see if they have any problems with bears, or anyone that lives in the south, or anyone that lives in the north, or anyone that lives in the west, or anyone that lives in the east. If there was no problem the first time, maybe they should try again. Then again. Then maybe several times after that. Because we need details, with facts and percentages, and photos, and results published in some sort of accredited journal.
    I heard that they should do this ASAP so the thru-hikers of '06 can learn from these fine men.

Speaking of bears, I saw the flick about the idiot that thought he was a grizzly last nite on Discovery. That boy had no fries in his happy meal! He deserved what he got.

That's a little harsh LW. He was actually a pretty innaresting cat, don't ya think? And he did die doing what he loved most. How many folks can go to the grave saying that?

Speaking of the Smoky Mtn Shellters, it's all about education of hikers. Before they remove the fencing, there can be no bear activity at the shelter for more than a year. Glen the Ridgerunner could provide more info if & when he logs on here.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

PS: The movie LW is talking about, Grizzly Man, will encore at 8 PM tonight - Saturday Feb 4 on the Discovery Channel.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Harsh? Naw. Did you see the movie? He was caressing a pile of bear s**t for crissakes. He was suicidal.

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    PS: The movie LW is talking about, Grizzly Man, will encore at 8 PM tonight - Saturday Feb 4 on the Discovery Channel.
    It shoulda been named "Grizzly Chow".

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Harsh? Naw. Did you see the movie? He was caressing a pile of bear s**t for crissakes. He was suicidal.
    I love that movie, especially the part where he's talking to the camera, his back to the bear, who is only a few yards away. When he turns to look at the bear, a fox pops up and mugs for the camera. I do not in any way think he was suicidal. He knew the risk and accepted it for the life he wanted. You and I ride Harleys, that is massively dangerous. If anything, with the car drivers around here, hanging out with grizzlies is far safer. If one of us eats a toyota, people are going to call us fools also.

First, bears are creatures of habit. They know where to find food. This means that along popular trails, like the AT, they know that the pickings is right at shelters. In residential areas, they know to find food in garbage cans, dumpsters, and bird feeders.

In the national parks, animals are protected. Consequently, the wildlife is very tame. They have no fear of humans.

Decades ago, when bears when bears were a problem in Great Smokey Mountains National Park, chain link fences were put up across the front of all shelters. So, in this reserse zoo, some campers baited the bears. In the past decade or so, GSMNP has removed or shot the "bad" bears, and done more with camper education (Don't feed the animals.) And they have put up bear cables for food storage. As a result, the chain link fencing has been removed from most of the shelters.

In other areas with bear problems, including Georgia, Shenandoah National Park, New Jersey, and the White Mountains, there are bear boxes or bear poles, or bear cables for your food at night.

In areas where there is bear hunting, you may still see a bear, but it's usually just it's hind end as it running over the hill to get away from you, or you will hear it crashing through the woods to get away from you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by irritable_badger
    There may be a few "close encounters" but I suspect that the bears will learn there is no longer food available at those shelters; assuming people stop feeding them. Bears are very intelligent and just as they learned where to get people food, they will learn the source is no longer viable. After meeting a few hikers armed with rocks, making noise, and not giving up food they will look elsewhere. At least I hope this is what happens. It would be a pity for the park service to start killing bears because a few stupid humans fed them food in the past.
    Several years ago, when i was on a canoe trip in the Boundary Waters of Minnesota, a local told me the bears "re-learn" the food sources every year. He said the bears don't become a problem on the trails until later in the year, IF people leave food around. I don't know if this is true, but if it is the bears in SMNP won't immediately return to the shelters this year looking for food. They will only show up if it becomes a food source.
    It's a great day to be alive !

I think we need more bears in the world

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++