WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How many have gone back to S. bags from quilts?

Hello,

In an effort to reduce weight I have been thinking about getting a quilt.

I move quite a bit, and am a restless sleeper.

I would like a 20 degree even though I would like to resume hiking in Virginia in June 2018. I know, what would I need that temp rating for in the summer? I just would like to get something that I can use around here in the spring and in the fall as well. One bag for all of that..... I can wish!!??

I just look at the straps, and I get that insulation gets squished when lying on top of it, but .......

I need to reduce weight if I want to hike long miles again.

So how many have reverted back to a bag from not being comfortable in a quilt.

All thoughts and comments are welcome...

Best To All

Floyd

I left a bag for a 20 degree EE Revelation quilt while hiking Virginia, once it got warm I bought a 40 degree quilt because the 20 was just too hot. I’m not sure one temp TQ will do but a 20 is a good place to start. Quilts are easy to adjust / ventilate. VA weather is tricky sometimes.

I change sides a lot while sleeping and never had a problem with my Revelation TQ not covering me and I’m 6’ 220lbs. An appropriate pad (or UQ if you’re hanging) is an important part of the system.

That all said I couldn’t imagine going back to a sleeping bag. I like the modularity and lightweight ness of a quilt sleeping system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I use quilts above 40*...anything below that and I revert to a sleeping bag. After a week in the Winds in September I knew I needed a something different and bought a Versalite. I didn't get cold with my quilt, per se, but I constantly woke up to turn over and had to adjust it to stay warm and that was frustrating and I didn't get the best sleep. That particular quilt is awesome in my hammock but not so much for ground sleeping.

Journal Entries

I use both.

Quilts really 30 F and up (20F and 40F)

Bag below 25 (10F)

25-30 just depends I have a 30F bag thats good there, or 20 F quilt will survive.

Ive stacked quilts in teens too, but its heavier than bag, and no one makes good enough hood for under 20f imo. I can use down clothing with 20 F quilt too, but outside of discussion here. Again, head insulation gets to be issue below 20F for me, leakage at neck,

But it all depends, is it 30F all day, and 20 F by 8 pm? Or is it 55F all day and reach 20 F at 530am? One is a hell of a lot colder overall and needs more insul., Even though min temp is same.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-07-2017 at 18:09.

The quilt is the business! You won't look back. 20 deg, and if you're too warm, just stick your feet or arms out...

Quilt 40+, bag below 40.

I just feel more comfortable in a true bag when it gets colder versus a quilt. Personal preference I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandPete View Post
    The quilt is the business! You won't look back. 20 deg, and if you're too warm, just stick your feet or arms out...
    Not for everyone...I love my quilt but it just doesn't work for me below 40°F, outside of my hammock, despite being a 10° quilt. Broad statements like that aren't helpful and convince people like me that all I need is a quilt which isn't true.

I found it had a lot to do with wind and draft, which depends a lot on your tent and how and where you set it. I started with a 30 degree bag, with 40 degree quilt layered on top, which let me unzip my confining mummy bag. When it warmed up and I got past the big southern mountains I mailed the bag home and relied on the quilt. I also switch sides and move around, and found the brief episodes of cold air to be fairly trivial.

The quilt gathers at the neck and the feet, which draws in the sides along your body, fairly effectively keeping out drafts. I'd imagine matching the quilt to your height would be very important to make sure you're draft free. A few nights I got cold and had to use my down jacket as a jacket, instead of a pillow.

So, I guess it depends on the rest of your system.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandPete View Post
    One size & one pice of advice does not fit all.
    20 degrees is stretching the capabilities of a quilt.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    Hello,

In an effort to reduce weight I have been thinking about getting a quilt.

I move quite a bit, and am a restless sleeper.

I would like a 20 degree even though I would like to resume hiking in Virginia in June 2018. I know, what would I need that temp rating for in the summer? I just would like to get something that I can use around here in the spring and in the fall as well. One bag for all of that..... I can wish!!??

I just look at the straps, and I get that insulation gets squished when lying on top of it, but .......

I need to reduce weight if I want to hike long miles again.

So how many have reverted back to a bag from not being comfortable in a quilt.

All thoughts and comments are welcome...

Best To All

Floyd
    Don't believe everything you read online.
    Most modern sleeping bags are made without a side block baffle. The down can be moved to the top or bottom depending on the season.
    I was in Wyoming after Labor Day. At or above 10,000'. I put the bag in Winter Mode: I moved the down to the top half of the bag. There was no down in the bottom left to squish under me. I was also sleeping on an R-5.7 Xtherm Large air mattress. Yes, that one. The bag of potato chips crinkly one. NOT! Internet myth. My Xtherm is silent.
    The Great Outdoor Provision Co. (all over North Carolina) has a good selection of sleeping bags. I bought my 20 degree Alpinlite from their store n Charlotte.
    Good luck!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I went to an EE 20 bc I am a restless side sleeper. Ill never go back to mummy bags, but that's me. I'm not a solid sleeper at home and mummy bags had me all jacked up. I'd get in and feel warm but then I'd twist all around. Of course, some folks swear by mummy bags. Try it out and see. I use my 20 in all Virginia weather, except August when I use a cheap Costco quilt.

One more thing:
    All mummy bags are not created equal!
    Read the internal dimensions. Some are form fitting while others offer ample room to toss and turn.
    Pay attention!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    One more thing:
    All mummy bags are not created equal!
    Read the internal dimensions. Some are form fitting while others offer ample room to toss and turn.
    Pay attention!
    Wayne
    Wish I'd known that a few years back! I paid attention to length and was entirely ignorant of girth.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Wish I'd known that a few years back! I paid attention to length and was entirely ignorant of girth.
    Sorry. Next time?
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    There's a dirty joke in there somewhere. Also, you need better ignore filters.

Loft keeps you warm. Here is a chart from BackpackingLight.
    Some companies are conservative relative to loft and temperature rating. Some companies are way off!
    https://backpackinglight.com/bpl_sle...ion_statement/
    Shop smart.
    Wayne

I bought an EE 30F for Australia, where unless you are hiking in the alpine regions you rarely need more, and in warmer weather I just used a poncho liner/woobie . When planning for the AT I realized that a 30F was not going to cut a early march start. After investigating I went and purchased an EE 50F quilt 1 size larger and wider than the 30F and with the winter pad straps. It essentially joins them together to give me a 10F rated quilt, which is very versatile at under 1kg. I like and would never go back to a bag, quilts work for me.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

makes sense - quilts are popular with the ounce counting demographic, so people try to make them as light as possible.

I have very broad shoulders and bought an X-wide EE 20deg quilt which I think is great. I've used it into the low 20s and was so warm I had to vent it periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    makes sense - quilts are popular with the ounce counting demographic, so people try to make them as light as possible.

I have very broad shoulders and bought an X-wide EE 20deg quilt which I think is great. I've used it into the low 20s and was so warm I had to vent it periodically.
    Sorry, phone issues - first sentence was cut off and should read:

I think (in my completely non-scientific opinion) a lot of people's problems with quilts originate in not buying one wide enough. A few of the manufacturers are guilty of sizing their quilts on the slim side to make them lighter as well.

I have a 30 degree mummy bag that weighs 2lbs 2 ounces. When I first got it I used it like a sleeping bag and felt like I was trapped in a sock. The last couple years I've just been leaving it unzipped and using it like a quilt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++