WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Ground sheet thoughts

What have you used, liked, recommend (for various situations)?

Thoughts and tips and mods?

What have you found to be best multi purpose and what purposes?

And oc weight considerations.

Tia

Many, including myself, just use the clear PolyCro sheets as sold by various cottage companies such as Gossamer Gear, etc (can also be found in bulk at home improvement stores). Been using them since 2008. You really can't get much lighter weight. It isn't that expensive if you go the bulk route, so replacing it can be as often as you want.

Being clear means you can see the rocks/sticks that you may have missed when policing the site before putting it down. They are easy to clean up when muddy as most of the dirt will flake off on its own once it dries. It dries really quick. Downside is it isn't the most durable. That said, on a long thru-hike like the PCT or CDT, I only replaced mine once on each trip, but I could have lived with it the whole way. I just occasionally put a tiny piece of duct tape on a small tear when I noticed one. This of course, starts to add a little weight after awhile, hence the reason to eventually replace.

I have two suggestions, each with their own strengths.

Lawn trash bag, cut down the sides and opened lengthwise. These are intended to hold leaves and small twigs so are puncture resistant. They are also waterproof so will prevent ground moisture from wicking into the floor of the tent (for nylon floors). They also help prevent dirt from reaching the floor of the tent like any ground cloth. They are easy to clean, last a surprisingly long time, and a few dollars buys a lifetime supply. This is probably the lightest option. The downside is that they don't really hold their shape very well, but once the tent is on top of them, they shouldn't move much. I find a single lawn trash bag adequate for a single person tent, and two lawn trash bags can be welded together for a two-person tent. Google welding plastic or I can describe.

A fabric ground cloth with tie outs. These can be nylon, polyester, tyvek, or dyneema. These have the dual use in that one can tie it at the opening of a shelter to help block wind. It can make a big difference in comfort. Dyneema has most of the advantages of lawn bags except that it is world's more expensive, but only slightly heavier. The others all weigh a little more but may be more cost effective, depending on one's budget.

That's my opinion. I am open to new ideas also.
    Last edited by perrymk; 05-27-2024 at 06:29.

Journal Entries

I find tyvek quite strong and not overly heavy. I purchased my current tyvek sheet, custom cut to the right size, at the outfitter in Damascus. I then softened it using a washer and dryer.

Garlic
    Images

After struggling with various ground sheets for my first long hike on the PCT, I finally stopped using one. Many thousands of miles later, including the AT, CDT, CT, AZT and PNT, I'm glad to have one less dirty thing to pack up. I've never had a problem with a tent floor.

Following recommendations from here, I made a groundsheet from housewrap-material. Its similar to Tyvec, but more soft, probably less waterproof.
    I cut it to fit my MSR Hubba Hubba NX and added straps in the corners to perfectly fit the tentpoles in.

It turned out that I use it more often solo (without the tent) as a clean and nice sit-down area, even for an after-noon nap, to keep myself away from any crawlies, dirt and debris.
    Also when doing desert hikes, in lack of a tent this piece of housewrap is my living room and sleeping room.
    Folded up, it also serves as a sitpad during breaks.

It already paid a hundred times.

Images

Tyvek has worked well for me.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    After struggling with various ground sheets for my first long hike on the PCT, I finally stopped using one. Many thousands of miles later, including the AT, CDT, CT, AZT and PNT, I'm glad to have one less dirty thing to pack up. I've never had a problem with a tent floor.
    I've got something of quite the opposite experience. I back pack a lot in Great Smoky Mountains where the same camp sites are used over and over. Combine that with how humid the Smokies are and you're forever setting up your tent on various degrees of mud. I love that the ground sheet gets dirty and I keep everything else relatively clean. When it comes to packing, I'm simply folding the dirty sides of the ground sheet towards itself so that mud doesn't get elsewhere in my gear.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I like Tyvek cut to a bit smaller than the tent floor. I prefer Tyvek for cowboy camping, too. If I'm trying to shave weight or hammocking and/or don't expect to tent that often, a cheap Mylar space blanket works well, too. The Polycro was too flimsy and fragile for me.

I'm with HooKooDooKu - the groundsheet keeps the mud manageable.

Images

So what does a 70” x 72” heavy house wrap tyvek weigh?

Images

As a retired DuPonter, I use Tyvek(r). Weight is about 0.22 oz per square foot. A 70" x 72" sheet (which sounds large for a solo tent) will weigh about 218 g.

i like those silver on one side, red on the other plastic sheets sold as space blankets cut to the foot print of my tent. it served me well and isnt heavy for my BA 1 man tent. never had any leaks or punctures... they are very strong.

I have 2 different sized tyvek sheets that I carry depending on if my dog is going or not.
    Light, water proof and actual insulating properties vs a syl sheet that is only a moisture barrier and minor protector.
    Trail Miles: 5,154.2
    AT Map 1:
    ✔ | 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: ✔ | 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: ✔ | 23-24'
    Foothills Trail: ✔ | 24'
    GSMNP900: 134.7(17%)
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    CDT: 210.9
    BMT: 52.7

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I have 2 different sized tyvek sheets that I carry depending on if my dog is going or not.
    Light, water proof and actual insulating properties vs a syl sheet that is only a moisture barrier and minor protector.
    I found this on the web:
    Tyvek house wrap itself does not have an R-value, which is a measure of thermal resistance or insulation. The purpose of a Tyvek house wrap is not to provide insulation, but to act as an air and moisture barrier. It blocks drafts and moistures, helping your insulation to do its job more effectively.”

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    I found this on the web:
    Tyvek house wrap itself does not have an R-value, which is a measure of thermal resistance or insulation. The purpose of a Tyvek house wrap is not to provide insulation, but to act as an air and moisture barrier. It blocks drafts and moistures, helping your insulation to do its job more effectively.”
    Agreed - no insulating value to Tyvek. Though I do appreciate its durability for protecting your tent floor. Most of the time I'm happier with a bit of polycro though.

++ New Posts ++