WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

For the first several years, AT Troll paid the full cost of WhiteBlaze out of his own pocket. He never asked for anything in return. Several of us asked if there was a way that we could help with the expense. The opportunity to donate was created so that those who want to help can do so. There has never been any pressure on anyone to donate. Thanks to AT Troll for starting this site and to all of those who donate their time to keep it running smoothly. Those of us who don't donate our time, should help with the expense.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    For the first several years, AT Troll paid the full cost of WhiteBlaze out of his own pocket. He never asked for anything in return. Several of us asked if there was a way that we could help with the expense. The opportunity to donate was created so that those who want to help can do so. There has never been any pressure on anyone to donate. Thanks to AT Troll for starting this site and to all of those who donate their time to keep it running smoothly. Those of us who don't donate our time, should help with the expense.
    Very well said.

Website forums are cheap to run. It's good to see this one still going strong though as Facebook has all but killed a few of my favorite forums that I used to visit.
    It is what it is.

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    That $10 could be saving a quarter of an ounce in pack weight instead.
    Or a nice, big burrito on the next thru-hike!

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Website forums are cheap to run. It's good to see this one still going strong though as Facebook has all but killed a few of my favorite forums that I used to visit.
    Website forums are cheap to run if you don't place a value on the time spent in keeping it running. Keeping a site like this one running smoothly takes a lot of time. I know from experience (I sponsored a similar site for 20 years), that the out of pocket expense is small, but it takes a considerable commitment of time. Time is valuable. I don't know who all participate in moderation of this site, but I appreciate what they do.
    Shutterbug

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    I know from experience (I sponsored a similar site for 20 years), that the out of pocket expense is small, but it takes a considerable commitment of time. Time is valuable.
    Then you must also know that a popular site like WB can be valuable as well.

I find it rather remarkable that its owner has not done more with things like Amazon’s affiliate program (4% for a click?) and adds and such. Much respect for his decision, though.

I place a lot of value with our WB forum, its an excellent resource for information and for advice-but I'm always dismayed by the comments I read when others refuse to donate money to this site but enjoy the benefits of it. The old "the internet is free" nonsense to me is just an excuse to pay the $10 a year fee.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

I was ready to donate last summer when I finally had realized how many tipps and tricks I had learned here on WB, and, most important, WB is free of annoying adds.
    Then I had to learn that (for my country only?) PayPal would be the only way to send money - something I don't have and won't get just for this purpose.
    After all, I now resort to "giving" in the very same way I'm "receiving": By providing to the forum as much as possible.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    I was ready to donate last summer when I finally had realized how many tipps and tricks I had learned here on WB, and, most important, WB is free of annoying adds.
    Then I had to learn that (for my country only?) PayPal would be the only way to send money - something I don't have and won't get just for this purpose.
    After all, I now resort to "giving" in the very same way I'm "receiving": By providing to the forum as much as possible.
    In the US, if you have a credit card, you can use PayPal without creating an account. What with international currency transfers, I can understand if it's difficult in Europe.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I donate because I know this site does not run its self. And the people I have met from WB, and the shuttle guys, and the people that have helped me in many ways from logistics, to encouragement. Priceless. I donate $10 a year. I do not donate more then that because for 1, that is what it cost for me to edit. And 2 if EVERYONE donated 10 bucks then all would be good in the WB world.
    Trail Miles: 4,992.0
    AT Map 1: Completed 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: Completed 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: Completed 23-24'
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    GSMNP900: 134.7(16.8%)
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Have to send a check or money order? How about set it up so people can pay online with paypal. I have not owned a checkbook in years. By the way, pm me if there is a way to pay online that I am not aware of.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by volleypc View Post
    By the way, pm me if there is a way to pay online that I am not aware of.

Do you not see the "Donate" button above???
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I think the problem is that it is not obvious that the "order" button on the "donate" page will take you where you can use PayPal. The wording on the donate page looks like the only way to donate is by check.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    I think the problem is that it is not obvious that the "order" button on the "donate" page will take you where you can use PayPal. The wording on the donate page looks like the only way to donate is by check.
    Exactly, I mentioned this earlier in the thread as well. I went to look into donating a year ago or so and the button to click to pay through PayPal is not obvious. I caught it this last time I checked it out.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Have to send a check or money order? How about set it up so people can pay online with paypal. I have not owned a checkbook in years. By the way, pm me if there is a way to pay online that I am not aware of.
    picard-facepalm.jpg

Its at the top of any whiteblaze page

Capture.JPG

It's optional for a reason folks. Until they make it mandatory, I don't think anybody should be judged or looked down upon for not donating. You all know who you are. Let you be the one who gets judged next time you're out on the trail for not rolling up your sleeves and helping to maintain it. Anybody can cut a check....
    It is what it is.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post

Its at the top of any whiteblaze page

Capture.JPG
    On my iPad, the donate tab you show is ALWAYS covered up by a search area:

25F4D8DC-D91C-44D4-88FB-505B5D65FAF2.jpeg

The donate banner comes and goes — in my snip above it has been replaced with an ad — and once you get to the donation page it was not immediately obvious to me that PayPal was an option.

For a person who is really motivated, those are very small hurdles — but in a fast moving world, I am sure donation money has been missed as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    It's optional for a reason folks. Until they make it mandatory, I don't think anybody should be judged or looked down upon for not donating. You all know who you are. Let you be the one who gets judged next time you're out on the trail for not rolling up your sleeves and helping to maintain it. Anybody can cut a check....
    I look at a lot of "donation only" opportunities as the Burt from Andy Griffith Show perspective...."Don't wanna be too pushy now!" And in return, I treat these places to a comparable fair. I have, like many, used hotels and shuttles that run off of donation only...Homer in Daleville...George Lightcap in Jersey...Church of the mountain hostel in DWG...Bob's Kincora in Dennis Cove...WB...

Ever covered a fair for something, prepaid for a group trip, loaned money?....How many times have you had to ask for the money back? I have more times then not and can only count on one hand the folks that offer the repayment without me having to ask for it. These are the same people that skip out on "donation only" establishments.

This for me, instigates a frustration for myself, along with a correlation between folks that do not contribute to donation only and the ever so entertaining "Pay for my thru hike" threads. Its the same folks. Comes down to the entitled and non contributing joint of our society that the majority of which is my generation. Sad but true.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Clicked it and saw the pay by check or money order... I did go back and look and I see where you can pay by paypal. Usually a paypal icon comes up, but maybe its my firewall that is blocking it. Anyway I did pay by paypal, no option to give screen name or anything, but that is fine. Thanks for pointing this out.

Images

Yes, you are correct. It's oddly "hidden." I always paid by check when PayPal was the only other choice.

Clicked it and saw the pay by check or money order... I did go back and look and I see where you can pay by paypal. Usually a paypal icon comes up, but maybe its my firewall that is blocking it. Anyway I did pay by paypal, no option to give screen name or anything, but that is fine. Thanks for pointing this out.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++