WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

don't give in to the urge to side sleep in a hammock. just try it on your back and you'll find after a night or two, you wake up in the exact same position you started in. no pressure points. fully supported. like sleeping on a cloud once it's dialed in.

I use a hammock and tarp system, and here are the reasons I would consider switching back to a tent:

-You absolutely NEED a floor. If you have habitual Pack explosions in with your gear, it can be a little more difficult to keep all that together under a tarp
    -No trees. But even then, you can easily use your tarp on the ground and just use a bivy and a pad
    -speed is of the essence: this can go to either advantage, tent or hammock. A simple tent can be very quick to set up. But, if there’s little wind and no chance of rain, it’s hard to beat the speed of a hammock without the tarp deployed. Absolutely no ground stakes are required.

As far as weather is concerned: I honestly used to think a tent and sleeping bag is warmer. But honestly, a properly rated quilt system outperforms any pad on the snow. Especially once you get to the point that you need to double up pads.

I’ve never gotten that “hammock bliss” sleep that many talk about, mainly because I have a very comfy bed at home. But I will say that as others have mentioned I’m a side sleeper at home but perfectly comfortable on my back in a hammock, and I’m always more comfortable in a hammock than any pad I’ve slept on.

This past weekend I did my first winter hiking trip. At home, I don’t go to bed until midnight, but that’s just not an option when winter camping. So there I was at 7 pm wondering what the hell I was going to do for the next 5 hours before my typical bed time. I fell asleep trying to decide on something. I did wake up a couple of times, which is common even at home, but nothing that kept me awake for an extended time. And even with the thermometer hovering around 0 degrees F, I was very warm and cozy.

So yes, there are reasons why you may switch back from hammocks to tents. Some people just don’t find them comfortable. But most find that they are at least more comfortable than a ground system. And for the record: it’s quite easy to get a hammock and quilt system that is just as light or within a few ounces as a typical lightweight tent setup.

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    I'm mildly thinking about trying hammock, after watching several of the folks i follow on youtube that are hangers.... several obvious advantages....disadvantages too.... and I'm a side sleeper so I have concerns I've only napped in some backyard hammocks (spreader bar types). Never really tried a nice gathered end one.........My son has a small eno like knock-off, I've tired it but its a bit too small. Still, I can see some positives....

So to those of you that have tried hammock camping ....I mean really tried it, like for more than just a night or two.... why did you stop and switch to a tent?
    I prefer my hammock, but there are several reasons I use a tent instead of the hammock:

1. When my wife hikes with me, we use a tent. We have not found two person hammocks to be as comfortable.

2. Regulations -- Some of the places I hike don't allow hammocks. And, some places, like the Grand Canyon, require that one stay within a prescribed camp site. Most of the camp sites don't have trees suitable for hanging.

3. Not enough trees -- I often hike along the Pacific Crest Trail above the timber line. Finding good places to hang is a challenge.

4. Trees too big -- In Washington State, many of the trees are too large for normal straps. Even with over-size straps, it is difficult because the trees are too far apart. I often find it easier to use a tent when I hike the coastal trails.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I agree with Feral Bill. I have been known to setup my hammock and tarp with my hiking poles. Yes I am on the ground, but I am out of the weather and bug free with the summer cover.
    With that set up in mind....I’ve been on the fence about trying a hammock after sleeping great in one last spring during an the Everglades challenge paddle race. Is there any hammock tarps that serve well also on the ground as solo ground tarp..want a UL cuben tarp that does both...does that exist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    With that set up in mind....I’ve been on the fence about trying a hammock after sleeping great in one last spring during an the Everglades challenge paddle race. Is there any hammock tarps that serve well also on the ground as solo ground tarp..want a UL cuben tarp that does both...does that exist?

I like my Gammock Gear Winter Palace for both...which is why I got it. Serves as an A-frame tent on the ground and is palatial! Be sure to get it with doors

Looked at it but seems too big as already have cuben duomid, really want lil smaller...little more $$ than want to drop also..thx

I am a restless sleeper. In a hammock I always end up at ground level anyway. Another disadvantage is that unless it is extremely warm a hammock is chilly without an underquilt. One more is that unless you are a contortionist it is impossible to change clothing in a hammock.
    My best night in a hammock was near a shelter in Massachusetts. It was 85 or more during the day and I brought a fleece sleeping
    bag which I slept on top of. My worst night was near a shelter in Vermont where I rehung it several times after hitting the ground and finally gave up and went into the shelter.

Quality of sleep is the main reason I prefer a tent/ground. Can't sleep on my back, period, and side sleep in hammock is hit-or-miss for me. I'd still like the hammock thing to work out, since I like staying high and dry. I've not given up quite yet, but not sure it'll happen for me, due to the quality of sleep issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Quality of sleep is the main reason I prefer a tent/ground. Can't sleep on my back, period, and side sleep in hammock is hit-or-miss for me. I'd still like the hammock thing to work out, since I like staying high and dry. I've not given up quite yet, but not sure it'll happen for me, due to the quality of sleep issue.
    A bridge hammock might help in this situation.

Images

Folks with back issues: How does the hammock compare? I have tried hammocks for few hours and my back kills afterward. How do you configure your hammock so your back can handle it?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse View Post
    Folks with back issues: How does the hammock compare? I have tried hammocks for few hours and my back kills afterward. How do you configure your hammock so your back can handle it?
    1) Hang the hammock correctly. There should be moderate sag when the hammock is hanging freely. Stretched taught is counterproductive.

2) Lay diagonally in the hammock, not straight head to foot. This levels the hammock out.

I have back problems and am a side sleeper. Using the two suggestions above, I sleep much less restlessly in a hammock, usually wake up in the same position I went to sleep in. Also, allows me to lay on my side without problem. Hammocks are much more comfortable than ground sleeping, but in order to offer the same warmth, the system is substantially heavier and more bulky.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Looked at it but seems too big as already have cuben duomid, really want lil smaller...little more $$ than want to drop also..thx

Pretty much any of the rectangular or cat cut Hammock tarps will work with a ground bivy setup as well. I have the Warbonnet Superfly and have set it up on the ground and it works very well. It’s available in silnylon and silpoly (I have the poly), and although it’s heavier than a dynema tarp, it’s also only $140-$165 for a full-sized tarp with doors. I’m planning to get a MLD Bug Bivy to use with it when a hammock may be impractical.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse View Post
    Position the hammock slightly closer to the tree by your feet rather than centering it exactly midway between the two trees, hang the foot end of the hammock about a foot higher than you attach the end by your head, and try to get the angle of the suspension line to the tree to be about a 30* angle. Sleep on a diagonal, as Lyle said.
    -tagg

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    I'm mildly thinking about trying hammock, after watching several of the folks i follow on youtube that are hangers.... several obvious advantages....disadvantages too.... and I'm a side sleeper so I have concerns I've only napped in some backyard hammocks (spreader bar types). Never really tried a nice gathered end one.........My son has a small eno like knock-off, I've tired it but its a bit too small. Still, I can see some positives....

So to those of you that have tried hammock camping ....I mean really tried it, like for more than just a night or two.... why did you stop and switch to a tent?
    You can try a google search like the following and you’ll be able to read some threads on HammockForums:
    “Giving up” site:Hammockforums.net

Or substitute in “switching back” or similar terms.

Based on threads I’ve seen, here are a few reasons:
    * Claustrophobia. Some people don’t dig having a bug net near their face
    * First night (or later nights) sleeping in a hammock sucked. Some people can’t get past their first impression - they could be cold, or cramped or restless. In some cases the person has made up their mind.
    * Limited experience/wrong setup. Some folks buy or make some starter hammock gear to save money that turns out to be heavier, more complex, etc. They then get on a long trail without much hammock experience and see the lighter high end tents and decide to shave the weight and complexity.

All the above have solutions, but it’s why I think some people give up on a hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    1) Hang the hammock correctly. There should be moderate sag when the hammock is hanging freely. Stretched taught is counterproductive.

2) Lay diagonally in the hammock, not straight head to foot. This levels the hammock out.

I have back problems and am a side sleeper. Using the two suggestions above, I sleep much less restlessly in a hammock, usually wake up in the same position I went to sleep in. Also, allows me to lay on my side without problem. Hammocks are much more comfortable than ground sleeping, but in order to offer the same warmth, the system is substantially heavier and more bulky.
    I find Asym hammocks do better in this regard. Possibly bridge hammocks as well. Anyone offer opinions on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post

I do all these things and still have back pain, of course mine is more to do with an old injury. I still manage to sleep better in a hammock despite the niggling upper sprine pain (and yes, I've tried a mire firm hammock...probably helps some but made mine worse).

Images

First off, the ENO is short and too wide, so that can be one of the issues. Std now is 11' though I use a 10.5' DIY that is also wider than the 58" std.

Still, if you do one overnite in ANY hammock and you're not waking up and knowing it was a better sleep, or that you at least feel better getting up than from being in a tent, then don't bother. There's a learning curve to hanging, and especially for detailing your insulation as the hammock is less forgiving. I'll tell you this, once you learn about hanging, you'll realize how much you didn't know about insulation on the ground. And in some respects, I could see that as a valid reason for going back to a tent - that you know how to do it better, and perhaps lighter than you did before.

95%+ of those I know who've tried a hammock immediately know its for them and, therefore, are committed to learning how to do it better. And doing it better is a very personal thing, too, its not like we all reach this same spot of nirvana with hammocks. Each of us ends up going down similar but different paths and in most cases, it means going through several hammocks and other pieces of supplemental gear over time. I'm on #8, LOL.

I resisted at first and continued on my search for the perfect solo tent until I realized there wasn't one. Then I tried and committed. Or I've been committed, or something like that.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I like my Gammock Gear Winter Palace for both...which is why I got it. Serves as an A-frame tent on the ground and is palatial! Be sure to get it with doors
    +1 on the HG Palace Tarp with Doors. If you look on my YouTube Channel, one video shows it set up with trekking poles as an A Frame Bottomless Tent.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I have only slept on the ground once in my life.

Hammock....over 130 times...I wouldn't even be interested in hiking if it were not for the hammock.
    "North America presents in it's external form certain general features which it is easy to discriminate at the first glance. A sort of methodical order seems to have regulated the separation of land and water, mountains and valleys." -Alexis de Tocqueville
    https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web

I hope I like my new hammock set up.....it wasn’t cheap! I bought quality so if it’s not for me at least I’ll be able to recoup most of my $$. I’ve never slept all that well on the ground and have tried many a pad and pillow.....I hope the hammock is for me but can definitely see it taking several trips to get the “hang” of it! Definitely a lot more to setting up than staking out the mid and blowing up a pad! I’m sure my maiden voyage will involve lots of four letter words while trying to set up at 9:00 @ night with 25* temps....I can’t remember the last time I actually got to camp before dark....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++