WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter
    the first orange Thermarests with the metal valves,
    got one, still...
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peter_pan
    ...and leave a foot locker of slightly used gear behind as donations/prizes for the scouts in attendance...
    Great idea, Pan. I always thought that I'd do something for the BSA once I got older, but the son I envisioned turned out to be a daughter, so my time has gone elsewhere. I'll look up my local troop and see if I can help. It would be great if you had an outline or slides that you use that I could build from.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker
    Are you sure that Jansport only makes kids' backpacks? I have a Jansport day pack (acquired about 4 years ago) and it's more than adequate for day hikes and trips.
    No, I'm not sure. That's what I heard from an outfitter.

Default Read It And Weep

I guess I'm a geezor cuz I fondly remember many of the items mentioned so I guess I should retitle this My Geezor Gear and be done with it. When Kerosene mentioned ensolite pads it brought back a good memory. I was living out of my pack around Boone NC through the 1980s and in 1981 I met a wandering hobo who looked at my gear and my floppy old ensolite pad. He held up his little orange thermarest and said, "Buy One!" I did go buy one and 12 thermys later I have become a prisoner to these finicky but comfortable little animals.

When LostInSpace brought up the Svea 123 I couldn't help but remember it was my stove of choice for many years. I went through between 4 to 6 of these handsome brass home warmers and heartbreakers. I had one explode in the mountains of North Carolina where the flame shot out toward my face so I rushed it to the local backpacking shop but it was pronounced Dead on Arrival.

gsingjane brought up the green canvas tent and I am amazed the description seemed to fit an exact same tent I had as a boy. I remember how heavy it was and the big spiders that would jump out when pulled from storage. It had a strong canvas smell and had these little flap windows that would roll up(or down)and secure. Hikes In Rain brought up a memory of the old GI cook kit that was oval with a locking swing arm joining the pot and plate cover together.

One thing about this thread which is comforting, I can turn to these idyllic memories and then just as quickly turn away and look fondly at my new gear as I plan the next trip. But I think it is good to sit back often and to remember all of our backpacking trips, where we were, how beautiful or sometimes how awful it was, how we felt in the rain or the snow or the heat or the high wind or pumping nylon up a mean mountain, and to remember the gear that helped take us there. Amen.

Images

Yeah, I got my 50 miler patches somwhere. My troop,456 from Clearwater, FL, used to take canoe trips every year from the day after Christmas to New Years so my patches are for canoeing not backpacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter
    gsingjane brought up the green canvas tent and I am amazed the description seemed to fit an exact same tent I had as a boy. I remember how heavy it was and the big spiders that would jump out when pulled from storage. It had a strong canvas smell and had these little flap windows that would roll up(or down)and secure. Hikes In Rain brought up a memory of the old GI cook kit that was oval with a locking swing arm joining the pot and plate cover together.

You wont believe this, but my dad still has my Grandads cook kit from World War 1! The pieces are stamped "1917 US Army". He hauled it all over France. A bit heavy for backpacking but they sure made'm tough then, maybe that's why the Kaiser lost?

I know what you mean about "that strong canvas smell". That one phrase brought back some memories of the old umbrella tents... The only thing fabric smell stronger than that is the olive drab army canvas smell as found on tents and jeeps.

I still have my orange Camptrails pack that was my brothers boy scout pack. Used it myself until about 6 years ago. Served me well!

Also still have and use my original orange Thermarest. We have two of them and have replaced both valves with the plastic ones but these things sure take a beating. We use them on cold weather camping trips all the time. It seems like you can't destroy them. Had a small pin hole in one from an ash but a bit of seam sealer fixed it up and five years later it's still going strong. I do take a 3/4 light Thermarest now.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTrail
    You wont believe this, but my dad still has my Grandads cook kit from World War 1!
    i still have my dad's scout cook-kit from the 60s. i still use the plate some.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I started with a bright orange external frame backpack of unknown maufacturer. Then upgraded to a Jansport external frame around 1980. Orange Holofil sleeping bag. Heavyweight Vasque boots. Eureka Timberline tent. All of which I still have in usable condition. Those boots weighed a ton!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by otterman
    I started with a bright orange external frame backpack of unknown maufacturer. Then upgraded to a Jansport external frame around 1980. Orange Holofil sleeping bag. Heavyweight Vasque boots. Eureka Timberline tent. All of which I still have in usable condition. Those boots weighed a ton!
    I had a eureka timberline tent. Now that was a nice tent.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Old gear

I remember the gear I used for Boy Scouts. Though it was only 20 years ago, it is funny how much gear has changed!

Lesse:

*I used a cotton canvas "Yucca" pack.
    *Had a "mess kit" that looked similar to a WW2 GI military set!
    http://pages.tias.com/11742/PictPage/1922364738.html
    * K-mart "Texas Steer" work boots
    * Sears tough skins jeans
    * Waffle weave long underwear, cotton of course!
    * Canvas A-frame tents
    * Naturally, we all cooked on a camp fire!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Bait II
    I had a eureka timberline tent. Now that was a nice tent.
    I spent a night on Mt. Mitchell. Heavy rain and and 40 mph winds. Didn'e leak and didn't budge. I bet it could still do it today, but I carry lighter shelters now.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTrail
    You wont believe this, but my dad still has my Grandads cook kit from World War 1! The pieces are stamped "1917 US Army". He hauled it all over France. A bit heavy for backpacking but they sure made'm tough then, maybe that's why the Kaiser lost?
    That's so cool! Much to the sadness of my dad and myself, my grandfather gave away much of his WW2 gear to goodwill without telling us.
    (Including his "Eisenhower" jacket with the patches !!!!)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates
    got one, still...
    ======================
    I do too. Fondly remember having that valve stick to my lip one winter trip

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

How about the old WWII vintage "canvass shelter halfs". That's all our boy scout troop had. We picked a tent mate and then divvied up the canvas halves, poles and stakes. Stuffed them into our canvass ruck sacks, along with our food for the weekend (typically wrapped in aluminum foil) and headed out on the trail.

Ahhh ...the good old days. Did I mention that we all wore those orange leather work boots from Kmart ??

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

We still have our old external frame Kelty packs from about 1970, but we don't use them anymore. I still use a mid-1960's aluminum 5 cup pot from my first Coleman backpack cookset. Laugh all you want - it is light, works well and can cook darn near anything. Several hikers have borrowed it on the trail because thier dinky saucepans where too small to hold their dinner.

I had a Eureaka Timberline until last year when I gave it away to someone.

My 25 year old orange thermarest with the metal valve was going strong until last spring when all of a sudden the valve froze into place and can't be budged. Havent gotten around to replacing it yet; used it this this year just for the insulation value.

My 30 year old svea 123 stove still works great and is my stove of choice, although on weekend trips I sometimes use my zzip ztove. Loaned my svea to more than one thruhiker in 88 when their whisperlight failed (they had clogging problems back then).

Images

Anyone remember the Justrite headlamp? Took 4 D batteries in a case you could hide inside your coat in cold weather. Mine still works. I also had a SVEA 123 stove, Snowlion double-A frame tent, ensolite pad, 60/40 parka (loved it), and Trailwise frame pack. I still wear my Snowlion polarguard booties for winter camping. Have a polarguard vest made from a Frostline kit. My two orange Therma-rests failed in unpatchable ways and Cascade Designs replaced them for free a couple years ago. Too bad the new ones weighed 3/4 lb more.

I still have a Eureka 4 man Timberline that I use w/ the Scouts when they are "base" camping. It weighs about 10 lbs but man talk about having some room. My orange CampTrails external frame pack is stuck in the gear closet somewhere. What about the World Camp (I think) big aluminum canteens w/ the flannel outside? Those things leaked like crazy.

Images

Default 80's gear, mostly

Gave my old Clip Flashlight to a friend recently; the old baby blue one. Still a good shelter after all these years. A mere 4 lbs.

Still have a Coleman Peak 1 Multi-Fuel. Oddly enough it's baby blue, too. Well, were it isn't sooted up, scratched or rusted. Haven't fired that thing up in the last couple of years and I'm beginning to think I never will. Some of the corrosion on the tank looks serious. If I had to do it over again I'd get a SVEA 123 instead of the Coleman. I've got more in parts in that Coleman than I spent for it new.

Coleman Solo cookset. One large pot, one lid/fry pan, one bowl, one cup. Still use the pot at home once in a while. Stuff sack is in REALLY sad shape, though. If I remember corectly I've seen this set in the Campmor catalog recently.

I've got the frame for a Yucca pack. The pack bag disappeared many moons ago.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++