WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: what is the reason you make your own gear?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default make your own - why?

What is the primary reason you make your own gear- is it for weight purposes, for monetary reasons, to have fun or simply because you can do it better? No there is no "all of the above" option- I'm looking for the real reason, the main reason, the reason you would choose in this poll since you can only choose one?

Comments of course are appreciated.

TH
    just call me TH
    woman with altitude

Default make my own - why not?

I like making stuff. It's fun, it's a relaxing hobby-type thing, and I get it exactly like I want it.
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

In order:
    1. I love experimenting.
    2. It's USUALLY lighter.
    3. Manufacturers do just that: they manufacture. This means they focus on the masses, not individuals. I have certain needs that would never cross the minds of the "talent" at most large manufaturers. So, I have to fill these needs myself....OK...even to ME that came across wrong! If you get your mind out of the gutter, you'll know what I mean. The other thing is that most manufacturers are going HIGH tech whilst the ultralighters are finding that LOW tech is actually more practical. I guess I'm just a kid realizing that the cardboard box the toy came in is more fun to play with.
    BackpackFlyfishing.com
    Tight lines, light packs!

Gear Talk with Jason Klass
    There is no such thing as having too many sporks!

I have yet to meet or hear of a hiker who made his equipment travel any lighter or cheaper compare to someone who bought their equipment. Even the master sewer himself Ray Jardine spent nearly 40 hours making his equipment and did not travel all that light.

Wolf

Ummmm...Is this a troll? Have you actually read Beyond Backpacking? Have you read any forums lately? There are people out there carrying 5 lb. base weights! Show me a commercially-available setup that's lighter than that. I'm waiting.......
    BackpackFlyfishing.com
    Tight lines, light packs!

Gear Talk with Jason Klass
    There is no such thing as having too many sporks!

Images

Default Rewarding

I think its more rewarding.It really feels good knowing you made it yourself.It also gives you more confidence for your journey up the green tunnel. Does anyone know if Ray-Way is out of business? I cant seem to get thru on his website

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I like to make my own gear to save money, but I also like the idea of using items that I made myself.

My homemade items don't look as good as the comercially available gear, but it works for me.

I guess I should clarify- the reason for this poll is to see what the real reason people home-make- to be cheap, or what?

TH
    just call me TH
    woman with altitude

For me it is both cheaper and fun. Hopefully it is lighter, but not sure that is always the case.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonklass
    Ummmm...Is this a troll? Have you actually read Beyond Backpacking? Have you read any forums lately? There are people out there carrying 5 lb. base weights! Show me a commercially-available setup that's lighter than that. I'm waiting.......
    Carrying 5 lb base weight, Ummmm … not hard to do. You haven’t backpack much have you? Check out the link:

http://www.lwgear.com/images/vid-lightweight-backpacking-back.jpg

It was view in 1992, by Lynn Whelden but started in 1989 of myself with a 15 pound total weight including food and water. If you go on base weight, it brings the weight down to less then 5 pounds back in 1992.

In case you have not notice, equipment has improved a lot sense then. I’ve heard the same B.S. for years, it’s cheaper, it’s lighter none of it is really true … and at times the same hikers like to harass others who are more comfortable carrying something extra or do things different. I’ve seen it on the PCT A LOT all three time. It is often done by the same people that don’t backpack all that light themselves.

To answer your equipment, have I ever read “Beyond Backpacking”, no I’ve only read part of it after being asked to compare someone who makes their own equipment vs. someone who travel lightweight already. The result, you can travel just as light or lighter buying your equipment for the same amount of money buying your equipment.

What I didn’t like about the book it was to narrow minded for me. What is more important than the equipment that someone carries, is knowing how to use your equipment. Something the book does not focus on at all. There are hikers out there backpacking irresponsible relying on others or “if things gets bad I can bail out”. It doesn’t always work and sometimes hikers get hurt or worst.

Wolf

Images

I haven't made any gear yet, but, I do like to modify as I go. Hey Titanium Hiker, do they call you that because you have Titanium body parts (Knee cap, perhaps)? I have a titanium screw in my knee. We could start the titanium hiking club.

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

I voted more fun because I enjoy doing some things for myself. Although I am just getting started making my own gear, I decided to start because I wanted some options not available on commercially availible gear. A small pocket here or an extra clip on point there - the options I get are the options I want - with nothing I don't want.
    So be it.
    --John

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I make some of our gear because I want the features offered by several different pieces that are not available in a single piece of commercially available equipment. For example, I am designing a sleep system that is similar to Big Agnes' system (uses insulated mats as primary bottom layer with quilt zipped above) but with additional top and bottom insulation on one side (I'm a cold sleeper, male dino is a warm sleeper). I'm also designing this so an external layer can be added when extra warmth is needed, but left home to save weight when temps are milder. All of these features are available commercially, but not in a single piece of gear.

I'm impressed by people who can make their own gear but I prefer to buy. There is no way in hell I'm ever going to make a better hammock than Hennessey, a better quilt than the Jacks, a better sleeping bag than Western Mountaineering or a better tarp than Brian at Outdoor Equipment Supplier. I do not have hours and hours of time to invest in learning how to do what they have already learned how to do, nor do I wish to.

I could see myself possibly modifying something I bought but making my own, just not for me.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

[QUOTE=Wolf - 23000] Check out the link:

[URL="http://www.lwgear.com/images/vid-lightweight-backpacking-back.jpg[/QUOTE]

great link
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

how bout this one: http://www.lwgear.com/
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jasonklass
    Er..Wolf has more miles than almost anyone else in the hiking community (almost ). Definitelty not a troll.

He's not kidding when he says Jardine is not that light...by Wolf's standards.

Most people are happy with a 12 lb basepackweight!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Default Why Make It Yourself?

Several reasons apply. I Can make it lighter. I can omit unecessary bells and whistles. I can add functionality I want. It's gratifying. It's Fun. I'm sure there are others.
    Regards,
    Smee
    www.jacksrbetter.com

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

The thing about going light is that eventually it is going to cost some money or time, too.

Those 5 lbs kits (for three season hiking..temps around 15f, no permanent snow) have some expensive goodies. Guess it comes down to how much you want to spend to lose weight. You can spend time making your own gear or you shell out the money to buy the really light stuff. The other alternative is to simply do without. Saw people not use a sleeping bag (or quilt!) and just sleep in a light, homemade bivy with all their clothing.

Since I am wimp who can't sew that well and does not have the money for a spinnaker tarp, (among other items) I'll be not-so-hardcore and stay at just under 10 lbs. I'm lazy afterall...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

the shelter i wanted didn't exist. now it does.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++