WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section hike Roan Mountain help

The Smokies section is not going to work out like most of you mentioned with the shelter closings. I’ll save that for early fall. Can someone help me with a three night section that will include the Roan Mountain area that so many talk about? Many of you have been so knowledgeable with details of accurate plans. Thanks

Not sure what your daily mileage is but the Roan Highlands trip that I typically take is a weekend trip that starts with parking at Carvers gap. I get there at about 11 pm on a Friday night, night hike (Sobo) to the top of Roan High Knob and tent up there for the night. Saturday morning I walk back (NoBo) past the car and to Doll Flatts which makes for about a 12 mile day. This makes for a quick 3.5 mile day Sunday.

If you have 3 full days available to hike then I would consider doing Hughes gap to Dennis Cove - which would be a 46 mile trip for an average of 15 a day. If you would like to cut that mileage down a little you could start at Carvers Gap to eliminate the big climb up Roan Mountain, and stop short of Dennis cove at "Bitters End" which is FS 293 road in between Moreland gap shelter and Mountaineer falls shelter this would be a 28 mile trip.

I have done the Roan Highlands 8 times now and I feel like I get the most enjoyment out of Roan High Knob to 19e but I do not enjoy the climb up from Hughes gap so I park at Carvers since I get there so late at night.
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 06-26-2018 at 08:02.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    If you would like to cut that mileage down a little you could start at Carvers Gap to eliminate the big climb up Roan Mountain, and stop short of Dennis cove at "Bitters End" which is FS 293 road in between Moreland gap shelter and Mountaineer falls shelter this would be a 28 mile trip.
    How do you get back to your car?

There are several shuttles in the area, mtn harbor hostel for one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Check out my youtube channel
    Ramdino Roaming the Trails

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If parking a car then shuttling, Mtn Harbour B&B, any hiker services in Hampton/Dennis Cove (Black Bear/Kincora...), or Erwin (Chestoa/Uncle Johnny's). Hikershuttles.com can also assist in shuttles.

Depending on your exact schedule and mileage maybe you can plan something <Erwin-Iron Mtn Gap> to <19E-Dennis Cove/US 321>. Make a definite stay at the Barn though. If you want to start out with scenery, start at Indian Grave and go NOBO.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 06-26-2018 at 11:30.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Journal Entries

I recently planned a two-night 15-mile trip (with some newbies) to start at Carver's Gap on a Friday evening, hike two miles to camp on Grassy Ridge, then 6 miles to camp between Little Hump and Big Hump, then 6 miles to 19E. We planned to use Mtn Harbor for a shuttle back to our vehicle at Carver's Gap.

That was the plan, but one person canceled, then another, and another. So we did a 20-mile non-AT piece of the Smokies instead... So, like others have stated, it depends on how far you wanna walk each day. Gambit likes to eat the miles. Others amble. Several different scenarios to choose from.

Over 4,500 miles hiked on the A.T.

Anyone been through Ash Gap and Roan High Knob shelter lately? On guthook both are stated to have seasonal water...curious if water is available at both currently? Is there tap water available at the Cloudland hotel site/parking lot there @ the summit or Roan where they have bathrooms?

Quote Originally Posted by Israel View Post
    Anyone been through Ash Gap and Roan High Knob shelter lately? On guthook both are stated to have seasonal water...curious if water is available at both currently? Is there tap water available at the Cloudland hotel site/parking lot there @ the summit or Roan where they have bathrooms?
    Water was good two weeks ago at Roan High knob and they've had rain since then not sure about Ash Gap but there's plenty of water through that area I think there is water at the bathrooms at Cloudland although Cloudland is just a short distance away from Roan High knob and is after Roan High knob so that should not be an issue there is water behind the bathrooms from a spring at Carver's Gap as well

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Not sure what your daily mileage is but the Roan Highlands trip that I typically take is a weekend trip that starts with parking at Carvers gap. I get there at about 11 pm on a Friday night, night hike (Sobo) to the top of Roan High Knob and tent up there for the night. Saturday morning I walk back (NoBo) past the car and to Doll Flatts which makes for about a 12 mile day. This makes for a quick 3.5 mile day Sunday.

If you have 3 full days available to hike then I would consider doing Hughes gap to Dennis Cove - which would be a 46 mile trip for an average of 15 a day. If you would like to cut that mileage down a little you could start at Carvers Gap to eliminate the big climb up Roan Mountain, and stop short of Dennis cove at "Bitters End" which is FS 293 road in between Moreland gap shelter and Mountaineer falls shelter this would be a 28 mile trip.

I have done the Roan Highlands 8 times now and I feel like I get the most enjoyment out of Roan High Knob to 19e but I do not enjoy the climb up from Hughes gap so I park at Carvers since I get there so late at night.
    Hughes Gap to bitters end is a great hike just did that 2 weeks ago plenty of water running now great balds probably one of my favorite trips very reminiscence of Grayson Highlands

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++