WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pbakwin View Post
    It seems very likely he'll finish more than 4 days ahead of Joe's FKT of 45d12h15m. He started on 7/18 at 4:30am, so would need to finish by 4:45pm to keep the 4 day cushion.

Now we can start speculating on who has the tougher record: Joe (self supported) or Karel (supported) ?
    Both. They’re both unreal. They’re both ridiculous.

Agreed. Two very impressive performances.

Quote Originally Posted by pbakwin View Post
    It seems very likely he'll finish more than 4 days ahead of Joe's FKT of 45d12h15m. He started on 7/18 at 4:30am, so would need to finish by 4:45pm to keep the 4 day cushion.

Now we can start speculating on who has the tougher record: Joe (self supported) or Karel (supported) ?
    No debate in my book

Though some rough data... followed by flights of fancy.
    Hard to say exactly as Stringbean's spreadsheet is likely not complete and no trip report but:
    Figure at least 12 resupply points.
    2 hours a piece would be a full day, but pretty ridiculously fast including time spent not making positive forward progress.
    4 hours a piece average might be more realistic for a full 2 days spent on resupply.

That's likely half of it.
    Plus whatever ding/speed penalty you'd care to ascribe to carrying several days vs several hours of food... let alone gear to support your efforts.

Time typing up facebook posts, posing for insty shots... and sharing them.
    Charging your devices, trackers, and headlamps (or lugging batteries).
    Cooking food, cleaning up yer dishes... finding a garbage can or carrying your junk.
    Whatever time you'd care to ascribe to various physical therapy tasks.
    Self care... washing, trimming nails, taping up, fighting the chafe monster.
    Setting up and breaking camp.
    Doing laundry.
    Swapping shoes, socks, and gear as it wears down... even simply acquiring a box, unwrapping, disposing of the old, and stashing away the new.
    Shopping for last minute items or problem solvers along the way.
    Even the 10 minute wait at the counter when you do score a fast food meal when the opportunity presents itself... and the extra minute or two to find a garbage can as you scarf it down on the way out of town.

Hard to say exactly but seems Karel has enjoyed one of the most dedicated and persistent pacing teams yet.
    Besides the simple company... muleing, pushing, pacing, cajoling, and perhaps above all; simply putting the constant positive mental pressure on you to live up to the expectations of friends who've flown around the world to help you because they believe in you.

Hard to quantify but it takes a lot of willpower and discipline to shoulder that positive mental burden solo in the long green tunnel when it's just you, the trail, and all the corners of your mind to discuss the validity of what exactly the hell you are doing and why.

I've said it before and still feel strongly about it... different things entirely.
    Not to cheat the supported athlete out of their share of mental, physical, or even spiritual challenges... but "when you go solo you hold your own hand."

A supported FKT on a long trail is an admirable exploration of what a human body can do.

Going it alone is a pure exploration of what a human can do.

Journal Entries

Any news or updates? I would guess that he is close to finishing at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    No debate in my book

"when you go solo you hold your own hand."

A supported FKT on a long trail is an admirable exploration of what a human body can do.

Going it alone is a pure exploration of what a human can do.
    Congrats to Mr. Sabbe, but I'm with JB, Apples to Oranges
    Unsupported record has my heart!

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    congrats to mr. Sabbe, but i'm with jb, apples to oranges
    unsupported record has my heart!
    ^^^^ this ^^^^
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

He made it! Apparently just within the last few minutes. FB Live just started a couple minutes ago from the top, but I caught about 5 seconds by the sign then it stopped. 2:10pm at the very latest, probably a few minutes earlier.

Images

Absolutely amazing. Congrats Karel !
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

That seems surprisingly late given the 7:30 am start to the last 15 miles?

Regardless - stunning show! 41 days, 9 hours. Absolutely nuts!
    Last edited by CalebJ; 08-28-2018 at 14:17.

Way to go Deerfoot!! Congrats!

Yeah, an hour or more later than I expected. Maybe a sit down meal break at the foot of the mountain? It's also possible that the feed was delayed, though if I understand correctly that would just be a FB video post instead of FB live. Maybe he finally started running out of steam.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fka relsabbeultrarunning%2Fvideos%2F1117114045119383%2 F&show_text=0&width=267" width="267" height="476" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Sorry, that didn't work well and I don't see how to edit or delete a post. Try this:

https://www.facebook.com/karelsabbeu...7114045119383/

Images

Congratulations Karel! Absolutely outstanding performance!

I predict this is the last time either the supported or unsupported FKT will be broken by more than a day.
    It's all good in the woods.

He sure does look happy and not too emaciated for such a long grueling journey. Congrats to Karel

Insane. Huge congrats!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Wow!

So here's the simply math:
    41 days, 9 hours = 993 hours
    AT = 2,200 miles
    2,200 / 993 = 2.22 mph (total average, not Moving average)

Compare that to the "average" thru hiker who (according to the ATC) takes a little under 6 months (let's say 165 days).
    165 days = 3,960 hours
    2,200 / 3,960 = 0.55 mph

Wahoo! Way to go Deerfoot. Excellent effort.

Both records are impressive(supported vs self-supported). There's no doubt that self-supported is more difficult physically, but also it just takes so much more time to do all the little things that Bill mentions above.

Personally, I think Stringbean's record lasts longer so I guess based on that metric it is the stronger record to me. This in no way diminishes Karel's feat.

Bravo, Mr. Sabbe.

I think SB's record is "harder" - it requires many more skills than just running & not getting hurt, plus emotionally it is much harder to do it all yourself & be on top of all the logistics yourself for that long. BUT, in an important way, SB's record is "easier" to tackle because you don't have to find people to support you for 6 weeks! For this reason, I think it's likely more people will try to beat SB's time than Karel's. Anyway, I'd love to SB go after Karel's supported FKT !!! (or Joey???)

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
++ New Posts ++