WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 7 Full Day Section Hike from Springer

I have 7 full days of hiking in early September. I'm from the St. Louis area. Would start at Springer. I'd be hiking from Saturday to Friday. Travel the Friday prior and drive home the Saturday after so the Saturday to Friday would be full hiking days except for a shuttle Saturday morning possibly. Would like to leave my vehicle at a good stopping point, or nearby, vs. having to get a shuttle back south to Springer. I'm in good shape - 10-12-mile days with a full pack are fine, 15-20 would be stretching it depending on the elevation profile. Looking for recommendations. Looks like getting a shuttle on the south end is not that big of a deal. Would like to shuttle vehicle to north take out point on Friday before starting the hike if possible. Would consider staying somewhere along the trail Friday night but would prefer to start fresh Saturday morning with a good night’s sleep after a 9 hour drive the day before. Looking for suggestions on a good takeout point to finish up. I'm not necessarily looking to get as many miles in as I can, I might want to stop for a couple of minutes to soak in a nice view, etc. I know it'd difficult making recommendations to someone who you haven't hiked with and know their pace, etc. Looking for recommendations vs. just looking at a map and mileage. Thanks in advance!

Jamie.

You could probly get to top of Georgia hostel. You can park there and Grab a shuttle to Springer.Brett covers from Springer to Natahala. 4045698776 .tell him ramdino sent ya. I also have a video of that section at

https://youtu.be/DpBZSCRa0cw

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Check out my youtube channel
    Ramdino Roaming the Trails

My choice would be between 2 endings:
    1. Stopping at Dicks Creek Gap (69.6) for a very leisurely week of hiking....
    or
    2. moving fast the whole time and coming off at Winding Stair Gap (109.8)

Both endpoints offer maximal shuttle opportunities for the area.

Over 4,500 miles hiked on the A.T.

Springer to Dick's Creek Gap would make the most sense. If you cross into NC and try to go to Winding Stair or even just Standing Indian, the drive time for shuttles goes WAY up vs. Dicks Creek to springer. Springer to Winding Stair is a good 2.5 hour drive.

If you want a little more mileage I would add the approach trail and do Amicalola Falls to Dick's Creek. If you are running behind TOG can pick you up at Unicoi Gag so you have a little buffer that way. If this is your 1st foray onto the AT be warned that it will most likely be harder than you think it will be

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I think Dicks Creek sounds like a good stopping point. If I'm way ahead of schedule I can slow down or go a day ahead and walk back. Not that interested in doing the approach trail. I've been on the AT some in the GSMNP and did fine. Did a 76 mile trek, probably 100 actual walking miles, at Philmont with my son this past summer and did fine at elevation. I think I could do that 100 miles in 7 days but I'm also not going to be trying to get to Maine. :-) Dicks Creek I think is the plan for now. Probably stop at Neels Gap for the night. They can hold my food for the rest of the trip. No sense in carry more food per day than I have to.

++ New Posts ++