WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I see what you are saying, but do not forget that REI is not only hiking and camping. for example, i bought a pair of casual walking shoes, sandals, and casual travel pants with my coupons/dividends. and if you really don't need anything, you can always but food and snacks.

I really wanted to buy something too. I wanted a new day pack and thought I could get a good deal. Turns out, even with the discount, I got it for the same price on amazon, with the color i wanted, and didn't pay tax.

I have also come to the end of the gear universe. I look hard for new stuff to buy, but they are just duplicates of everything else I own, and hard to justify spending a ton of money to maybe save a few grams of weight. Anything I want now is big bucks to shave an ounce of two, like a dynema
    tent.

Images

Read Earl Schaffer's book, Walking with Spring", about his late 40's first same season thru-hike to get a gear comparison.
    Few of us could hail along what he had. But like the rest of us, as he headed north, he figured out quick what worked, what didn't and lightened up.

Images

Many suggestions for buying socks, which I used to do. I think I had about twenty pairs of Thorlos in my drawer at one time. When the last Florida hurricane hit a couple of years ago, the students at the college where I work were taking clothing and household item donations for the residents of a small town near the Everglades, which was almost completely wiped out. Donated all of the socks to that cause....
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

that is why i switched credit cards to a cashback,pretty stocked up on things,course i could $200 worth of esbit

Quote Originally Posted by beachbunny View Post
    that is why i switched credit cards to a cashback,pretty stocked up on things,course i could $200 worth of esbit
    Thats bar b cue crazy esbit.

Counting the SW, DT and other unused sock collection I need a fourth hand. I could maybe stock an aisle in a health food store with all the trail chow. I do get around to using it though. I give l & xl SW socks as Christmas and b day presents.

Buy Christmas and b day presents...for someone in greater need.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Yeah, I hear you. I actually have everything I want and need. ...
    Same here. I couldn't come up anything to get so I did something different this year, I got my wife something. I got her a nice day pack with the dividend and the coupon.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

20% off of the fleece pants I’m coveting, makes the total less than $50 so I’d be charged shipping. Dang it. Nothing’s free.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++