WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Question Gear you still use no matter, in spite of newer versions.

It seems hiking gear has gotten to be a lot like cars, hot new models come out each and every year, and if you succomb to sales pressure (or just want to keep up with the Jones), you have to ditch that "old" version for the latest thing. Or, NOT.

What piece(s) of gear do you hold on to, and use, in spite of all the nifty bright new shiny things in outfitter stores and catalogs?

I still have my 30-year-old brass Optimus 00 kerosene stove. Got it via REI back when they were mail order and have sent it back to Seattle twice over the decades to have it over-hauled. It still works great, puts out lots of heat, and sounds like a jet engine to boot!

And speaking of boots, I only retired my heavy, all-leather Vasque boots after about 25 years, when the insides got so worn out that they began to cause blisters.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I still use my original 3/4 thermarest. A bit heavier than the newer model but it still holds air and keeps me off the ground.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

My tent, a Mountain Hardwear Laser, was purchased in 1996.

It has been with me on seven thru-hikes, and several thousand miles of section hikes. I've probably ove-nighted in it more than 1,000 times.

I've replaced the fly once (eventually, too much sunlight and use will cause any fly break down and leak); the poles once because an idiot fell on the tent; and had the zippers fixed once. On all occasions, the customer service folks at MH were absolutely wonderful and had the repairs done quickly and efficiently, and got me the tent back almost immediately.

I'll be heading South is a few days to hike for a bit, and plan to be using the same tent.

It's certainly bigger than I need, and heavier, too, as it was designed for two people. And tho the model has been dis-continued and has been supplanted
    by lighter and more innovative designes, I've never seriously considered replacing it. There was no need.

There are certain manufacturers who stand out in my mind for making truly outstanding gear, and Mountain Hardwear is at the top of my list.

(In case anyone's wondering, my other favorite companies would be Osprey; Mountain Safety Research; Leki; Outdoor Research, Merrell, and more recently, JetBoil).

tideblazer
    Images

I continue to wear a Patagonia mid-weight fleece that my dad bought in the early eighties, plus I often wear his cut-off wool gloves and balaclava.

I also use a hiking stick he carved out in 1980 and fitted with a brass end and screw. The end is long since worn away, but the stick is as strong and light as ever.

I will say that a lot of light-weight gear is on the verge of disposable -very effective for a short term, but in some ways just water-resistant landfill.

By the way, have a good trip Jack.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

I smell like New Jersey... SGTdirtman's Avatar
    Images

I refuse to give up my ALICE pack and military canteens

and my lucky trail pants are celebrating their 5 year aniversery this april... (oh thats 5 years without being washed by the way)
    crew chiefs can fix anything with pro seal and 100mph tape...

Here here Sarge! I too love my ALICE and GI canteens. My frame has a modified kidney strap with a really thick pad and waist belt. I use the canteen cups and their nesting stoves too. I carry the plastic canteens in the summer and the metal ones in the winter.
    I also use one of two sheath knives. Either an Onterio K-Bar style. or a pilots survival knife, also made by Onterio. The later is especialy useful as you can do all sorts of stuff with it and they are damn near indestructable.
    The views expressed in this post are solely the opinion of the author, and do not reflect the views of any other member of this forum.
    Pro Vita et Libere

My hickory walking stick, I've had it nearly 25 yrs and still carry it.

My MSR Whisperlite stove. I have an esbit stove and a soda can alcohol stove that was made and given to me by Model-T, but I still haul out the old dependable heavy sucker from time to time. I just carried it for 3 days in the Smokies.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

It is not backpacking gear, but my trusty day pack is one I will not part with.
    Paid $25 for it in 1996 from a gear closeout. It is no name pack that is green and black.

It has recently been repaired at the stress points (where the straps meet the pack itself) with dental floss.

The pack is full of sweat stains, salt, ground in dirt. It is frayed, worn and looks beat up. Has been to the Mt. Washington summit in February, has been in the Utah canyons, has been on the roof of Colorado. I wear this pack and don't have to say I like being outside.

The memories that I have made while wearing this pack makes me loathe to replace it. I won a North Face Daypack at a raffle...still has the price tag on it!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I still use my 20 year old stainless steel pots and a 25 year old Swiss Army knife.

I hike, I hang, I alky stove, that's what I do!!
    Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)

OK, I'm new to this site, but not new to backpacking, and felt the urge to add to the post. I still have my Svea 123 stove that I purchased thru the Indiana Camp Supply in 1978, when I was in high school. They were a mail order camping supply company in PA, and would only accept money orders for payment. Well, although my Svea is officially retired and been replaced many times over, I every once in a while dust it off and fire it up, just to hear the sound and reminisce. Seen its action on a lot of secton hikes in the late 70's and 80's. A lot of wear and dings still show, but I'm happy I kept that ole' thing.

I still have my boyscout cookset from thiry years ago. The hat too but I dont wear it.
    Uncas

No man is an Island, but everyman has a peninsula.

Images

Hey, I still use my old Boy Scout cook kit! Especially when I can count of cooking with a fire, propping the frypan up with a bannock in it, while the pot simmers with stew. Mmmm....

Still have the original canvas cover, and the original wingnut and bolt. Tossed the old green cup for a Sierra cup back in 1974 (I think).

More often than not these day, I just take the pot and cup.

An old Mountain Hardwear fleece.
    The old style MSR XGK (for deep winter use only)
    BackpackFlyfishing.com
    Tight lines, light packs!

Gear Talk with Jason Klass
    There is no such thing as having too many sporks!

Images

Got my 1953 Boy Sout cook kit with the original canvas cover, a 1954 Boy Scout back pack--no frame in this one--and an original WWII US army cook kit. They all still work. Only the BS cook kit gets used on a regular bais.

Now if I could take off enough pounds to get the BS uniform to fit....no way, not even an option.

> What piece(s) of gear do you hold on to, and use, in spite of all the nifty
    > bright new shiny things in outfitter stores and catalogs?

The shorter answer is both everything and nothing. I attempt resistant the temptation to play the upgrade game. I switch items when (1) something isn't work or wears out (2) something new comes out that is a significant improvement.

Examples?

Wear Out: I picked up Patigonia Puff Vest the first year they came out. Loved it. Over the years the insulation lost more than 1/2 it's loft. I ended up replacing it with a Montbell Thermawrap Vest because Patagonia hadn't released the Micro Puff, and the Pullball Vest was a step backwards.

Not Work: I tried a number of rain gear options... wasn't happy with any of them. I had a tendency to overheat and soak myself in sweat. Eventually I settled on a Montbell Peak Jacket. I am unlikely to try any other rain jackets until I can find something that is as breathable as say Dryskin, while still being fully waterproof.

Significant Improvement: From 1974? until a couple of years I used a oil "candle" lantern as a camp light. It weighted something like 4oz full, burn something like 15 hours. Way better than a flashlight. A few years ago I switched to an LED headlamp which is better on most counts. A lot more light, for longer period of time, more durable, without a fire danger. Compared to a real candle lantern the LED light is cheaper to run, though maybe not as environmentally friendly, and it is more expensive than the oil candle lantern. Another example was my MSR steel pot set from 1974. Switched to a Evernew .9L pot. Why switch? The Evernew is 1/2 the weight, has really nice integrated handle than I can't lose (I was on my 3rd pot holder), a small pouring spout which is really handy, easier to clean, and I found I was using approx 20% less fuel with the Evernew.

Resist: The new Osprey Aether 60 looks like it has a number of improvements over the Aether 60 I have. Looks like the back will breath better, and the hip belt looks really great. On the other hand, my Aether 60 is getting the jobs down when I need it. So I run out of the store before I pull my wallet out.

--Mark

[QUOTE=Rain Man]What piece(s) of gear do you hold on to, and use, in spite of all the nifty bright new shiny things in outfitter stores and catalogs?/QUOTE]
    The original MSR Whisperlite International, but relegated to occasional winter use. And the pump/regulator got replaced with a nifty bright new shiny MSR version from the outfitter store. (I cheated.)

Outdoor Research zippered first aid kit pouch, which contains both first aid and repair items. Over 15 years old now I think...

Doug Frost

++ New Posts ++