WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Free Product Offer

Hello,

I'm in the midst of launching a business to market a new type of wood-burning camping stove. Or more precisely, bring back to market a stove which was on the market briefly a few years ago.

Since having me tell you how great it is would be a waste of time, I'm looking for a couple of people to get free ones in return for honest product reviews.

Email me with a short description on how you would use it and how soon you think you could post a review. I'll choose two of the entries who promise to print a review here.

Here is the product:

http://www.spenton.net

Here is the email addres to send the request to do a review.

[email protected]

James Becker
    Spenton LLC

Welcome to WhiteBlaze. Very generous offer. I can't help you - my next BP trip isn't until April - but I'd like to know how this compares to mt old Zip, how much it wieghs, and how quiet it is. What's with selling the 'fire starter' liquids and sticks? It can't be that it's hard to kindle a fire in your stove?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

tideblazer
    Images

Good luck James.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

If you haven't considered it yet, you might get more publicity and objective reviews by contacting www.backpackgeartest.org and offering the items for testing there. Just another option.

James B check your PM. I'd be glad to review this stove and my lovely wife "The Special Ed School Teacher" can edit my report so that WB members and guests alike can understand the results. Tim B... AKA ... Napster

Images

Default Weight is two lbs per specs page on site

http://www.spenton.net/Specifications.html

Heat Output - high power: 10,000 BTU/hour (3 KW)
    Heat Output - low power: 5,000 BTU/hour (1.5 KW)
    Fuel Consumption - high power (dry): 1.7 lbs/hour (0.8 Kg/hour)
    Fuel Consumption - low power (dry): 0.9 lbs/hour (0.4 Kg/hour)
    Total Height: 6.5" (16.5 cm)
    Total Diameter: 5" (12.7 cm)
    Fire Pot Height: 4" (10.1cm)
    Fire Pot Diameter: 4" (10.1cm)
    Total Weight: 2lbs (1 kg)
    Power Usage: ~150mA at 3V (high power)
    Power Usage: ~140mA at 3V (low power)
    Batteries (not included): 2-AA
    Battery Life - high power (Alkaline): 10 hours
    Battery Life - low power (Alkaline): 11 hours
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man
    Weight is two lbs per specs page on site
    Yeah I saw "Total Weight: 2lbs (1 kg)" but 1 kg is really a little over 2.2 pounds, and he also says "Equivalent to weight of a 1-Quart bottle of propane." - so I was just wondering.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

For that price I'd rather get a JetBoil at ~half the weight.

It looks like a great design but it's too heavy for me. I would only carry a wood burning stove if it saved weight. Even though you would save weight in fuel, my whole setup with fuel is much lighter than this stove. Are you marketing it for car camping?
    BackpackFlyfishing.com
    Tight lines, light packs!

Gear Talk with Jason Klass
    There is no such thing as having too many sporks!

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the advice. I'll follow as much of it as I can.

The weight of the product is a little high, I may come up with a lighter version of it sometime, but the complication of the required air flow makes that difficult.

The main advantage of the stove is the dual state combustion of the wood - first by burning a portion of the wood, then by burning the resultant smoke in a second stage. This makes the stove necessarily heavier, but allows a pretty clean burn for biomass, thus eliminating the need to carry fuel.

The combustion of the fuel occurs from top down, that is, you light it from the top, then it burns down until the fuel is consumed. This makes it a little harder to ignite than a typical fire, but it can be done without commercial fire starter with practice. I provide the fire starter for those who want it to be easy.

The duel mode combustion of the product does make it an interesting camping /backpacking accessory IMHO, especially if you don't want to carry fuel. The operation of it almost needs to be seen to be believed. But then I'm the seller, so I would think that. That's the reason why I'd like someone to try it, and give their honest opinion.

I'd be glad to answer any other questions if any.

James Becker
    Spenton LLC

Images

Default free product offer

good luck with your stove,I use a wood stove and alcohol on my hikes.ky

Hi again,

I corrected the web site on the weight.

The actual weight of the WoodGas campstove with the accessories is 2 lb, 0.6oz or
    .91 kg. Granted, its still heavy, but the error was on my sloppy conversion to metric, not the English weight.

James

Quick question... have you measured that heat output, or is it theoretical? If so, how did you measure it? Don't know if you are the designer, but he's an engineer, so I expect some sort of quantitative measurement.

The reason I am asking is that I have a brand new, very efficient wood stove here, and she puts out 55,000 BTU. Its huge, and eats logs for lunch. It also uses forced draft. I was wondering how you are getting 10K out of this little thing. I see you are using a fan, so its a forced fire from below, like a pellet stove. It has to be pretty efficient, and burn the fuel down to ash.

Thanks,

BW

Default Stove output

Hi BW,

10K Btu/hour really isn't all that high for output. A typlical kitchen stove produces that much heat on a large burner.

The stove is very efficient from a combustion perspective, so the heat output can be traced by one of two methods:

How fast does it heat a pan with water in it? This has lots of losses associated with it, as a lot of the heat is not transferred to the pot. I believe the guy who developed the stove got a reading of 50% efficiency doing this test - or 5k BTU/hour going to the pot.

The total heat output assumes nearly 100% combustion, as the amount of unburned hydrocarbons measured is very small. Once that assumption is made, then the measurement is made by measuring the rate at which it eats fuel - measuring the change in mass in the stove/fuel combination while its burning. This is a reasonable measurement in the lab, where it burns pellets meant for a pellet stove.

Note on cleanliness. I've seen three stoves burn through a load of pellets simultaneously in an enclosed lab for 40 minutes. The CO detector on the wall barely moved, and there was no smoke that I could see in the room. Note: This is NOT and INDOOR product!!!, but it gives you an idea.

I admit that this might be considered a little optimistic, as the fuel combustion efficiency might vary more when under non-ideal conditions. Consider the number a reasonable lab result.

In general, people have found that the problem with the stove is that it puts out too much heat. Its ok for boiling water or a fast fry. But long simmering is not something it does well.

James

++ New Posts ++